Modern Analog Synths- The Elektronauts List

If I’m not mistaken, I believe the Jomox 888 is no longer available/in production. The 999 is (which has been listed as well in the bigger list).

EDIT: scratch that … it’s available at the Jomox web shop, so … yeah, n/m[/quote]
I thought the same thing and didn’t list it at first, but someone told me to put it up and I went and checked at Jomox’s site.

Nanozwerg only 1 OSC

Fixed.

well done ryan, really useful. will this be available as a file as well? (i know, dumb question…someone should have asked :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Refer to the original post for a very special message! =)

Jomox XBase 888 is out of production. That’s what Jürgen Michaelis said on the phone.

Just a lot of overstock I guess! Tell him to make a smaller analog drum machine with 6 analog voices an 2-4 sample tracks (no need for tons of storage and RAM- just enough for a single shots or one loop quantized to the sequencer…WHICH should be 64 steps so we can actually show off the amazing rhythmic variation that can be achived by dropping a few semi-tones here and there and retrigging a sample or two. Add in some performance functions like reverse and fill, and we have ourselves a drum machines I would pay $1,200-1.,300 for, A a little freeze break on the sequencer would be great (if it held the pattern playback and started it again when you released- EZ transitions with the actual look and feel of live performance vs. just another midi sequence! Freeze function should play real nice with the CCs sent but the OT fader! A drum machine with responsiveness to time stretching would be KEY.

1 more thing, the DSI evolver is not paraphonic.

And I’ll jump in with these short reviews.

Future Retro XS
Used :$1000
Great synth for snappy basses, really fast envelopes, nice filter (reminds me a little bit of the MS-20 filter but with less grit- not in a bad way-) Lot’s of modulation routings and semi modular. Can be controlled by both Midi and CV so it pairs well with OT and A4. Additionally, A4 can also make use of a lot of it’s modular patch points- individual osc outs, filter and osc mod inputs etc… This is my current “Go to” synth. Super quick to dial in, good range of timbres , and almost always sounds great.

DSI Desktop Evolver
Used $465
Very unique synth, great for strange noises, evolving sequences, interesting sounds etc… Has 4 onboard sequencers that can be used to modulate almost anything and that sync to external clock. The sequencers are similar to Elektron’s P-locks in that they can allow almost all parameters of the synth to change on every step. Overall has a very gritty digital biting texture to most of what comes out of it. (Reminds me a lot of early skinny puppy). Not as good at doing “normal” synth sounds. Filters are ok but not great, envelopes are a little slow. Overall, it’s great if you use it towards it strengths- but not the best “all rounder”.

Feel free to edit or cut these down as desired.
hope this is what you were sort of looking for.

@ Prints: You know, now that you ask I don’t think I did…

Here’s the response from MFB to my email query:
We can ship one to you in 2-3 weeks. The price is 750 Euro, shipping included.

Also recently picked up a Grendel Drone Commander on C-List for $275. Score.

I’d keep my eye out/be prepared for a customs fee; I’ve heard of people receiving them months later. How did he have it shipped? I know that Fedex and UPS will charge some sort of fees… also, I heard your state can tax it as well.
I’d buy it in a hearbeat, if all I had to pay was the 750 euros ($1,020) and nothing else… I’m scared of there being an extra > $150 in customs/VAT/tax blah blah.

Yes! Thank you that’s perfect. We’re going to have a nice community resource.

I’ll work on it some more later- I’ll figure out the layout. It isn’t easy formatting a document in an online discussion forum.

@Prints - arrived via USPS.

Just a lot of overstock I guess! Tell him to make a smaller analog drum machine with 6 analog voices an 2-4 sample tracks (no need for tons of storage and RAM- just enough for a single shots or one loop quantized to the sequencer…WHICH should be 64 steps so we can actually show off the amazing rhythmic variation that can be achived by dropping a few semi-tones here and there and retrigging a sample or two. Add in some performance functions like reverse and fill, and we have ourselves a drum machines I would pay $1,200-1.,300 for, A a little freeze break on the sequencer would be great (if it held the pattern playback and started it again when you released- EZ transitions with the actual look and feel of live performance vs. just another midi sequence! Freeze function should play real nice with the CCs sent but the OT fader! A drum machine with responsiveness to time stretching would be KEY.[/quote]
Yes, exactly! That would be the Holy Grail of all analog drum machines :wink:
But he did say the last years were too drum focused. So maybe he is planning something new…an affordable analog synth???

Trax Retrowave

http://www.traxcontrols.com/retrowave.htm