Model:Samples +?

Just a little warning : external reverb does much to the sound :wink:

1 Like

Well
 after yesterday’s jam with the M:S, using (very) good quality samples I am starting to think I maybe want just another M:S :laughing:

I think this sounds (not talking about the music or the style, just about the sound) really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bUUhy6eYW4

Now I need to think which option: another M:S or a M:C? I have been looking lot of videos since M:C was released, but don’t really liked the sound of none of them
 untill I listened to this from @AdamJay Model:Cycles only music

Every new day I think different, damn lockdown :rofl:

2 Likes

You are totally right :smiley:

Not sure if this will help you or confuse the issue more, but I’ll be releasing a Model Cycles patch pack soon, and it will include the sounds of those tracks of mine in that thread. If you already own an M:S, why not add a cycles?

That said, I get far more mileage out of my M:S. And combing OT MK1 with my single M:S stretches it out and makes a great combo for live performance.

1 Like

Can you, or someone, give me more details about the connection possibilities? :slight_smile:
I mean, as you know I have only a M:S, so I have no idea what are the options to connect both machines. I don’t know if it’s just about having both playing at same time, or more complex things (such as, maybe have the Volca output in a track of M:S or something like that?)

Thanks!

Great to hear! :grin:
One question, how much customizable are the sounds (the base, I mean) in M:C? I mean, they are not samples or sound files you can add / replace, no?

Well, I’m not finding it too difficult to make 100 different , interesting sounds. LFO modulation goes a very long way.

It certainly has its own tonality and character. And there are definite boundaries. But plenty of space to be creative within.
Since the sound quality is so high, it’s hard to knock the limitations of the sounds. Also, most of the sound parameters are macros. So the a small change can greatly alter the sound.
Just listen to all the posts in the Model Cycles only thread.

If you already have a model:samples, the pair gives you plenty of depth for types of sounds.
Samples is limited too, but in a different way as let’s you go just about anywhere as a starting point, but that sound starting point can only be stretched so far.

4 Likes

Yes, you’ll use one of the TRS to MIDI adapters that came with the M:S, then connect that to a standard MIDI cable. I prefer using a short 1 ft cable, but any length will work. The 5 pin end plugs into the Volca. Pretty much all the Volcas have the same MIDI implementation, except the Modular and the Sample. By default all Volcas are on MIDI channel 1, no reason to change that if you only have one.

On the M:S, you set the MIDI out mode to OUT (not THRU), and make sure the port is set to M+U or MIDI (not USB). On the MIDI output menu, you can select which tracks output to MIDI channel 1. By default it will be track 1 only, but you can set all 6 to use MIDI channel 1 if you like. Also, for each track, you have to enable MOut in the Track config menu.

With this setup you would hear your sample(s) sounds layered on top of the Volca. If you want to just control the Volca without layering sounds, simply turn down the volume on the tracks/samples that you don’t want to hear.

This video is more complex than what I’m describing above, but it does cover it a bit:

This is just a fantasy, but if I were going to buy a whole bunch of Volcas to pair with the M:S, I would do something like this:
Kick - Track 1 on M:S - internal sample + Volca Kick (MIDI Channel 1)
Snare - Track 2 on M:S - internal sample
Hat - Track 3 on M:S - internal sample (I typically put both open and closed hihats on one track using sample locks)
Perc - Track 4 on M:S - internal samples + Volca Drum (MIDI Channel 4)
Bass - Track 5 on M:S - Volca Bass or Nubass (MIDI Channel 5)
Synth Lead - Track 6 on M:S - Volca FM or Keys (MIDI Channel 6)

The Volca Modular can also be modified to have a MIDI IN port, that would be a fun one for snare and hat sounds.

2 Likes

I think my winner is a Zoom R8
Not expensive, and it seems to have some nice sound settings to play

Not my goal, but I think it could even multiply my model:samples x8 (not for live playing, but that sounds interesting for exploring things, recording separately & then playing them with the tool)

Any experience with it?

500 is plenty for good monitors, Get a pair of KRK

1 Like

Zoom R8 is the winner :1st_place_medal:
It should arrive this week, with a new Sennheiser headphones (HD 280)
Happy birthday to me :birthday::grin:

I will see if I can get the live sound I want with this, and then we’ll probably talk in some months about that empty input in the R8 :rofl:

2 Likes

hey, how do you do to split the Midi connections from multiple synths before connection to the M:S (as there is only one Midi in port) ?

I’ve been using a standard stereo audio splitter (like this). This works for only two instruments, of course, and I typically use it to send MIDI out, not for MIDI in. However, it would probably work for MIDI in as long as the instruments are only sending basic MIDI data, like note values. If two instruments are trying to send the same conflicting MIDI messages, then you’ll have some odd behavior.

The proper way to do it is with a MIDI merger, but of course those cost a lot more, and they don’t use MIDI over TRS, so you’ll need several adapters as well.

In my post earlier in this thread, I was suggesting using the M:S to sequence multiple Volcas. So that would use the MIDI out port, and it would require a MIDI splitter. The least expensive MIDI splitter (to my knowledge) is this DIY kit from meeblip ($20). It does require soldering, though.
The non DIY option is here ($50).

1 Like

Ah yes Midi out, not in. Cool!! Thanks for the details

Very amateur question :blush:
What kind of cable goes here?

For example, this? https://m.thomann.de/intl/the_sssnake_sk366-1-grn_midi_kabel.htm?i11l=en_GB%3AES.EUR
No, no? :roll_eyes::thinking:

These are for XLR or TRS audio cables. You can connect a Mic or any instrument that uses these kind of cables.

2 Likes

Thank you man :ok_hand:t3:
If I want to connect that to M:S this would work, right?

No. If you want to connect your M:S to the Zoom R8, you need two 1/4’’ TRS audio cables.

As an example :

The length of the cables is up to you.

2 Likes

I am idiot :roll_eyes:
Don’t know why I was assuming I need M:S MIDI output here :interrobang:

Hey, did you find out the good adapters/cables for you M:S to Zoom connection ?
I was looking to the R8 and was wondering for what kind of purpose do you want to use it ? Recording and sequencing beats you made with the M:S (like making more complex tracks ?)