Model:Samples Feature Requests Thread

That’s genius!

2 Likes

Yoooo, this is a nice technique. I’ve been using Track+t1-t6 for the silent track select then swinging the chance knob. The strange performance sweep on the MS pots makes this work surprisingly well, as far as knob turning as a means to mute goes. I’m gonna give the chance knob a break and start 0ing out my track volume where applicable. Good tip. Funny how these request threads often turn into ‘suggest a decent workaround’ threads.

2 Likes

I can’t take the credit for it. Some genius Elektronaut thought it up. Great tip isn’t it!

1 Like

tried to do this, just not working :-/

more please :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m yet to really dig in with my M:S because of mixing/mastering duties at the moment. But for more tips and tricks, check this out:

1 Like

There are a lot of great feature requests here. Elektronauts are clearly a savvy bunch.

The following would take the M:S to the next level for me:

1. Pad Velocity Curves : A couple of log curves could address the pad sensitivity issues. A velocity compression setting could also work (although perhaps velocity depth already produces the same result).

2. Pan Parameter Locks : This would make Sample Locks more more powerful (e.g. one track for all the toms yet still panned appropriately across the stereo field).

3. Bounce Locks : Wouldn’t it be great if you could bounce down a Trig’s sample with another sample? This would provide a simple way to layer samples without eating up all the tracks. It wouldn’t add all that much UI complexity, either (e.g. hold [FUNC] while Sample Locking or perhaps a ‘Bounce’ menu option when you hold down LEVEL/DATA on the selected Sample Lock).

4. Scales : Constraining the Trig keys to Major, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor etc. would help when performing melodic content. Composite scales, such as those on the Pocket Operators, could also work. And the LEVEL/DATA control would still allow Trigs to step outside of the selected scale – best of both worlds.

5. Random Sequences : Generating a random sequence would be a fun way to get the ball rolling, particularly if the sequence was constrained to a scale. I think this would really gel with the workflow on offer: generate a sequence, pull the track chance down and dive right into P-Locking and Ctrl-All-ing mayhem.

3 Likes

seconding this! I bought an M:S for the knob-per-function immediacy for live performance, as the DT I find great for studio work but slightly menu-divey for livesets. But, the DT has latch muting and the M:S does not, requiring me to use two hands on the M:S to simply mute a sound. Argh…

If i could dream…what about [RETRIG] + [TRACK] to engage latch mute mode? It’d be kinda similar to [FUNC] + [BANK] on the DT:)

1 Like

I have only one but really big problem – time after time i deleting my pattern. And i can’t UNDO because I tap to some button and only after this i understood whats going on. This is really bad experience.

My opinion - model:samples have to ask before erase pattern – are you sure or no?

It’s not a really big deal when i clear one of my tracks, but not a pattern.
Please – ad this simple question and you can make my life better)

6 Likes

It did happen to me once or twise! Very frustrating :frowning:
Seems like a reasonable request.

1 Like

Here’s another batch of feature requests, mainly along the lines of small UI tweaks that could improve workflow efficiency and usability.

1. Available Drive+ Space : It should be possible to see the available drive space on the device or within the Transfer software – ideally both.

2. Clear Unused : It would save a lot of menu diving there was an option to clear all unused samples from RAM. I’d want this to clear unused Sample Locks, too.

3. 100% Chance : A menu option for 100% chance would ensure that P-Locked Trigs aren’t affecting when turning Track Chance down.

4. Reload Track/Pattern : The factory kit is reloaded when clearing a track or pattern, and various track settings are lost, too. In practice, I haven’t found this to be a desirable outcome.

I think that [Track] + [Play] should reload the active track to the project’s last saved state.

And I think that [Pattern] + [Trig] + [Play] should reload the selected pattern to the project’s last saved state.

Edit: I forgot that [FUNC] + [PTN] reloads the pattern to the last saved state.

5. Global / Pattern Mutes : Having the option to choose between global- and pattern-specific mutes would add a lot of value for live performance.

Perhaps [PTN] + [Page] could open up a menu that provides various options for the pattern.

6. Solo : It would also be great to have a solo button, both for live performance and for convenience when editing.

There could be toggle option within the Retrigger menu called ‘S.On’. If this was enabled, holding [Retrigger] + [Track] would solo that track. If S.On and A.On were enabled, you wouldn’t need to hold [Retrigger].

As Retrigger can be P-Locked, I assume this would also also also solos to be programmed.

7. Transpose : Re-pitching works in some situations, but the sequencer isn’t effected by this. If I know that I want to transpose a sequence from Cm to Fm, I want see the results of that transposition in the sequencer. This could be an option in Track Settings.

8. Pattern Chaining : A less cumbersome way to chain patterns (e.g. [PTN] + [FUNC] + [TRIGS] in order). Alternatively, if you think that you might inadvertently press [FUNC] + [PTN] and load from the temp area, [PAGE] + [PTN] + [TRIGS].

9. Depth Scroll Increments : LFO and Velocity Modulation depth take a really long time to scroll through. Larger increments while holding the [FUNC] button would be great. Or perhaps larger increments by default and smaller increments when holding [FUNC].

10. Chance Scroll Increments : Holding function while scrolling through these chance parameters doesn’t do anything at present. I would suggest that some curation could be done to provide highlights

Chance 25%, Chance 50% Chance 75%, 1:2, 2:2, 4:4; 8:8

If nothing else, this would help to zip through this menu.

11. Stock Project : I think we should be able to overwrite this list item. It makes sense to retain the project in memory so that you can retrieve them via a factory reset. But it’s a pain having this project take up one of the three save slots visible before scrolling.

3 Likes

Some good suggestions but at least three of them are already covered. The manual is your friend:

Edit: Although, I understand you want a more automatic clear unused. That would be useful. Last pic shows free space btw. And re 100% chance, does it not lock if you move to another value and back again? Away from my machine at the moment.

Hey Craig. Cheers for the screenshots. I don’t think I explained the 100% chance thing properly.

1. 100% Chance: If you P-Lock a Trig with a probability condition, those Trigs will ignore the Track Chance parameter setting. For example, you may want to ensure that your bass drum plays back on the first step of the sequence, while other steps play back at a lower probability. The problem is that 99% is highest chance parameter at present, so there’s a 1% chance that bass drum won’t play on the first step.

(I think the Digitakt included a 100% option in a recent update.)

2. Clear All: Yeah, you can unload each sample from RAM, one at a time, but you can’t clear all unused samples from RAM. It’s not that big a deal for Tracks, but it’s more cumbersome managing 26 Sample Locks this way.

3. Free Space: Your last screenshot shows available space available in RAM, but I’m not aware of a way to see the remaining space available on the +Drive.

3 Likes

Ah cool! Yep, you’re right. :slight_smile:

When u load another sample on one track, it erase the previous sample from the ram.
But for the locks folder, a clear/purge fonction would be useful.

It would be nice if the +drive remembered its hashed entries when backing up. I’ve just had a nasty surprise when reloading backed up projects over sysex. I rebuilt my +drive exactly the same as before but of course the associated hashes changed, meaning that my projects are now pretty much irretrievable, most of the samples are missing from ram/locks.

Also, not sure if it’s a bug but when I load a project over sysex, even though most of the samples are missing, it says 001% ram left. It’s the same for multiple projects and it’s highly unlikely that I used 99% ram on all of them :thinking:

Yeah, I suppose purging Sample Locks is more the issue.

If you use transfer to pull them off the m:s and restore those samples to the m:s, not the originals, they should retain the hash.

Not sure how you rebuilt it but maybe this was the problem.

1 Like

Hmm, I did use transfer to back them up, then zipped the files. Its possible I’ve made a mistake somewhere along the lines though. I just unzipped the folders and dropped them back on with Transfer. I put my folders in the root of the +drive, maybe that’s the problem.

Thanks for the input, good to know it is possible by following a certain procedure :slight_smile:

Could also follow the new behavior of of the trig condition knob on the Digis : center default is 100%, turning knob left decreases % until you get to 1%, turning knob right gets to all other trig conditions. It’s time consuming to scroll through the % values to get to other trig conditions.

3 Likes