Model:Samples — DO NOT USE ANTISEPTIC

Hi guys.
I want to warn you in order to save you from the mistake that I have already made.
DO NOT USE ANTISEPTIC (or other alcohol-containing products) TO CLEAN THIS DEVICE!
After applying the antiseptic, all the inscriptions on the device either blurred, or became dull, or completely disappeared.
Electron, couldn’t you put quality inscriptions?

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that! I guess one of these might come in handy: https://www.oversynth.com/elektron-model-samples-overlays

4 Likes

Ha yeah, I used a bit of isopropyl alcohol to clean my Samples… now the text has thinned out a bit. Oops.

1 Like

That’s really unfortunate!

Never use aggressive cleaners on the casing or on the screen. Remove dust, dirt and fingerprints with a soft, dry and non-abrasive cloth. More persistent dirt can be removed with a slightly damp cloth using only water. Disconnect all cables while doing this. Only reconnect them when the product is safely dry.

From page 3 of the manual.

Pro tip: Alcohol is great for removing ink.

10 Likes

Uh yeah alcohol would be considered a “aggressive cleaners”. Can’t say they didn’t warn you. But… yeah one of them overlays will work fine if you can fork out $30+ something for it. Just don’t use any alcohol on it either :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: lol.

2 Likes

don’t use antiseptic, keep your samples dirty!

12 Likes

…well…sorry to hear so…but how dirty a device must be, to make u think, i better need some medical alcohol liquids to clean this out…!?..i mean, seriously…
no need to print this as an xtra advice…
or do u also need any CAUTION HOT warnings on ur coffee cup to go…?
of course u don’t use any aggressive liquids on any gear surfaces…

…a soft tissue under warm water,…
…wringed out until it’s only humid…
…WILL DO ANY CLEANING PURPOSES…

2 Likes

Do you really need to ask this given the current situation in the world?

Haha no, sometimes it won’t.

3 Likes

From the manual :

1. Never use aggressive cleaners on the casing or on the screen. Remove dust, dirt and fingerprints with a soft, dry and non-abrasive cloth. More persistent dirt can be removed with a slightly damp cloth using
    only water. Disconnect all cables while doing this. Only reconnect them when the product is safely dry.
2 Likes

Sorry to hear this happened.

This isn’t an uncommon issue with finishes. The paint on the Yamaha DX-7 will come completely off with Isopropanol. Many instruments with powder coated or anodized finishes will have printed words and legends that will easily come off with Isopropanol, too. This is true of gear of all vintages.

In extreme circumstances, I’ve used Lysol wipes on plastics and rubber bits without any issues so far. I consider this more risky though so do not think of this as an endorsement. Through experience I’ve learned to use a 1 inch soft paint brush to remove dust or debris, followed up by warm water on a microfiber cloth.

1 Like

Bro. Hardware and dogs don’t get Covid.

2 Likes

Actually covid can stay on surfaces for awhile. I don’t remember the exact amount but it does linger for a bit.

1 Like

But they can give it bro.

Bummer to hear, I’d love to give my hardware a good sterile cleaning these days. I have people that like to touch my things that are not as mindful as I’d prefer during a global pandemic.

1 Like

Don’t forget that UV light kills virii and bacteria. That said, it also kills plastics over time. :wink:

1 Like

…u must be kidding…so this is anti virus desinfection gear thread now…!?

…washing hands frequently and not touching ur face will do…

If you worry about getting sick because someone had touched your gear, you should be more worried if they were in the same room as you without face coverings for over 15 minutes.

As for the gear, just wash your hands, don’t touch your face, and stop having people over, in a few days you won’t need to wash your hands and will be able to touch your face all you want as long as you stop borrowing gear to others :joy:

1 Like

wait a minute, so if the person here deep cleaned his device as a covid caution, wouldnt that mean they have the virus already in order to transfer it to the device, so cleaning it really wouldnt do anything.

Hardware must be immune, we need to see how hardware is able to resist the virus! It could be the key to a cure.

2 Likes

Gotta wash our hands with more knobs and wires. Less soap. Fake news out there telling you to use soap and cloth masks

3 Likes

I wear a Volca on my face to protect against the pandemic.

Destroy negative energy with techno

9 Likes