Model:Samples compression? (Digitakt sound comparison)

Since I have both now, I thought I would load the same sample into each and record the output as a test. This is a short clip of a song from a CD, sent to each machine using the Transfer app (not recorded into the Digitakt). I matched levels as close as I could, then after recording I normalized to -3dB in my editor so the transient peaks would be the same. The track on Model:Samples was set to Volume 60 (supposedly max before distortion).

The first in this example is the Model:Samples, followed by the Digitakt. When I was listening live I thought they sounded pretty much the same, maybe a slight difference but I couldn’t quite pinpoint what it was. But when I looked at the waveforms in my editor it seems clear that the Model:Samples is a bit compressed. Maybe Elektron included the compressor from the Digitakt, but just has it set up for lite compression all the time? There’s no menu option for it unless I’m missing something. Or maybe it has to do with the Volume control - maybe a level of 60 is still hitting the overdrive a tiny bit?

https://soundcloud.com/soundxplorer/modelsamples-then-digitakt

2 Likes

That’s pretty interesting. Would like some more corroboration if this is so.

Ess has said here that they use the same sample engine.

1 Like

No doubt about the sound engine, but the hardware output section is definitely different.

Model:Samples line outputs are +10 dB / 33 ohm
Digitakt line outputs are +22 dB / 440 ohm

So, when I recorded the comparison above through my mixer I had to add more gain to the Model:Samples to match levels. That could explain the difference in sound. I’ll be happy when they get USB audio working on WIndows, then I can just record direct.

1 Like

Do you know if Elektron are committed to adding usb audio support for PC windows?

it seems to me that DT has a better AD/DA converter

Firmware 1.02 fixed two issues related to audio output that were causing the issues reported above:

The samples had some degree of saturation/distortion added to them when played, regardless of the VOLUME+DIST setting.

The samples were played back with an inverted phase through the analog outputs.

2 Likes