Model:Samples build quality

Have had mine since early Jan.
Use it all the time. No issues.

I think you must’ve been lucky enough to get one of the second batch then, as the early versions just seem useless and broken. An experience I paid full price ($399) for, and having to send it off monthly for useless “repairs” I’m more than pretty aggrieved.

Mine was definitely not from the post NAMM 2019 first batch.

Cool. Doesn’t help that mine is trash though.

EDIT: Sorry misread your reply.

I can understand why.

I was just adding insight to your question:

But it looks like that may have been a rhetorical question that I wasn’t meant to answer.

2 Likes

I’m sorry mate I’m just so frustrated. This unit has been a disaster for me and Elektron just keep fobbing me off with useless monthly repairs that don’t fix anything. I’m reaching the end of my teether with it. It’s essentially $400 down the drain as the broken FUNC button makes the unit unusable.

Sorry I misread your reply too and thought it was mocking my situation- Are you saying yours wasn’t one of the early builds?

I would expect more than a month or three months of usage, I want to hear from people that have had it a year without issue. I just don’t believe they exist.

I have just purchased one of these and to say I’m not impressed is an understatement. Very poor build quality. You get what you pay for.

1. The lcd screen had a big scratch across it
  2. The headphone jack didn’t work properly
  3. The track pads 1-6 are awful! They don’t respond very well.
  4. Transfer program/model samples kept crashing during transfer forcing me to pull the power lead out as nothing else would work.

I’ve tried adjusting the velocity settings for the track pads but it’s no good even on full velocity. It keeps missing hits now and then which is so annoying when you’re trying to jam a pattern in or muting things on the fly.

Glad it works for some, but not for me. I’d rather the proper elektron stuff.

Thanks

Have you removed the screen protector?
Common mistake that people don’t realize it has one, and that’s what is scratched, not the actual screen.

2 Likes

Didn’t remove it as it’s been sent back now. Fair enough if it’s the protector scratched. The rest of it I find poor. Not hating, I’m a big elektron fan, hopefully it’ll help someone else out in future and let the elektron team know users thoughts.

Which version of transfer?
Which MS OS? (it’s been updated recently to fix transfer issues)

Ah, too bad. A few of these issues we could have helped to remedy.

1 Like

I just got my model:samples the other day. I’m having a lot of fun playing with it but I’m disappointed that it came slightly warped. When pressing buttons it wobbles a millimeter or so which is very annoying. I’ve got a piece of folded paper under one of the corners which stops the wobbling but it’s still a bit depressing to pay so much for a plastic box that won’t sit flush on a flat surface.

1 Like

You can “unwrap” it by bending slightly in the opposite direction. It happened to me once with the electribes which are metal body with plastic bottom.

1 Like

I think that got rid of about 80% of the wobble, which is great because now it only flexes slightly rather than “tap” back and fourth on the table which is what bothered me.

thnx for the tip, you made my day.

1 Like

most welcome, this kind of things happen because of some temperature tolerances in assembly vs storage conditions. Hardly any manufacturing flaw. I don’t own the machine but I’ve seen teardowns showing the MS having a lot of screws holding the main circuit inside hence the sturdy, solid feel. I’d bend it until it sits straight without being afraid.

1 Like

Hi, I am listening to your (great) Elbphilharmonie set. Can’t help but notice you switched to the digitakt. Did you get fed up with the samples - or is there any other advantage (when performing live) other than the obvious build quality? I am quite biased, I personally like the parameter per page workflow of the digitakt but I am really curious on your take on this.

Cheers,
Daniel

My func button just broke for the 2nd time. It’s really sad because the Model:Samples is one of my favorite devices and the only one that has such bad build quality. I wonder if Elektron will repair it because the warranty time is over.

Like many I’ve experienced build quality problems with the M:S. Function key sticking, loose power connector, sorta have to hit the main 6 pads too hard to get a decent velocity. I do however LOVE it despite this, it’s just what I need in a sampler. For the model 2 I’d make these change, please Elektron take my money when you do this!

1. better buttons that don’t stick and break easily (mainly this)
  2. standard power connector (not the weird mini one)
  3. USB C (with ability to power device ideally)
  4. don’t bother with the power bar thingy
  5. Func > Decay for Attack
  6. Setting to not preview on 1st track click (so you don’t have to hold track to switch tracks)
  7. A better way to see the value of a knob without having to “fake turn” it.

@paulrobertpine A lot of the above belongs in

1 Like

Elektron sent me new rubber pads free of charge and they are much improved. The new ones came with a rigid plastic internal frame that adds more support, and and improved screen shield (the old one had fallen apart but I never realized it since it was transparent). They send detailed install instructions and the whole process was pretty easy and took less than 30. I’m very happy with Elektron’s customer support, thank you!

PS: It’s fun to have the old buttons on my desk to play with

2 Likes

Awesome idea.