Model: Interface Audio Drops Out

Exact same issue here on:

New M:S, firmware 1.12
Cubase Pro 10
Macbook Pro (mid 2012)
OSX Sierra
Elektron’s own USB cable going straight into the Macbook Pro.

When attempting to use the M:S as audio interface for Cubase it drops our after 2-3 minutes and I have to either restart the M:S or pick another audiointerface within Cubase and then pick the M:S again. It then works for a couple of minutes before dropping out again. I also seem to have latency problems when streaming audio directly from the M:S to the DAW through USB. Disappointing.

I experienced this frustrating issue on my 2020 i5 Macbook Air while attempting to live-process MS through Ableton. Since last nights MacOS update (10.15.5) the issue seems to be significantly relieved for me, with no dropouts for >8h continuously processing MS audio (I ran an overnight test). MS is connected through a bus powered USB-C adapter. Hopeful, so far.

1 Like

Hey. Can you confirm that M:S as a USB audio interface on Catalina is still working for you? I’m reticent to upgrade to Catalina because I’m scared some of my plug-ins will stop working (and I’m knee deep in a mixing and mastering album situation right now). Buuuuut, with my new M:S, I’m having massive glitches and audio dropouts within 60 seconds of piping in audio to Ableton Live on a 2017 MacBook Air and listening back on the same device. Even raising the audio buffer in Ableton Live to the max does nothing. All I can do for stability is to use M:S for input and another soundcard (the internal one even) for output. Otherwise, it’s damn near useless as a soundcard :frowning:

Edit: I have raised a support ticket. I will report back if I get any useful information from Elektron :slight_smile:

Okay, Elektron got straight back to me and it’s a known issue that will be fixed ASAP! :slight_smile:

That the USB Class Compliant audio from the computer to the Elektron device can sometimes be silenced is a known issue that existed also on the Digitone and Digitakt. We have a solution for this that will be released for the Model series soon. Some general improvements to USB audio are also being worked on.

6 Likes

Did this issue ever get sorted out?

Thanks in advance for your response!

The last OS update was 11 March 2020, so nothing yet. I’m sure there will be an OS update soon.

1 Like

Thank you, @craig. That is very helpful.

I no longer have an M:S so I can’t test it but I don’t know if it was Sonarworks Reference 4 causing the issues because it happened with a different soundcard too. Turning off Sonarworks helped with the soundcard issue and it might’ve done the same with M:S. However, with my current Elektron (Analog Rytm MKII), I have no issues whatsoever with or without Sonarworks. So it’s an odd one :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks. If I recall, you got one of the new ARMKIIs – the one that was released recently? Who knows if Elektron decided to use a different USB chipset, etc. from the older Models ones…

It’s hard to track this issue across the forum as there are a ton of threads that mention it. I even found some posts I made asking people if the issue had been fixed (posts from 2019!).

Shame that the Models have not been updated in almost a year.

1 Like

Yep

I have no idea there :slight_smile:

As I say, I’m pretty sure there will be an update soon with fixes and maybe new features too. They tend to rotate their focus from one line to the next. Octatrack was most recent, Analogs before that (right?), etc etc. So, I’m pretty sure that the Models are up next.

1 Like

I guess I have no choice but to use what I have and continue to keep an eye out for USB audio class compliant grooveboxen.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have stopped using the MS in class compliant mode bc it continues to be unreliable. I can say Analog Heat MK1 has been reliable in class compliant mode. I have not tested the DT or DN. Hopefully it gets addressed soon bc its a great feature to have.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate hearing actual user experiences.

1 Like