Model: Interface Audio Drops Out

Did the update fix the problem?

I don’t think that it did. I just bought the Model Samples and I absolutely love it, but when I try to track out via usb to my different DAWS (Studio One or Ableton) there are consistent drop outs/latency issues. No issues with the sample rate (48.0) sounds great but I guess I’ll just have to record into a different interface when I want to record stuff from this unit into my DAW.

That sucks because I have a digitakt and it is so clutch with overbridge to get stuff in the daw quickly!

1 Like

Thank you for responding. That’s really too bad.

I’m having similar issues. I submitted a support ticket.

1 Like

Hey All,

I had the same issue, but Patrik at Elektron support identified the issue: make sure you have both M:S selected as the Audio (In and out) in Ableton/DAW, and in Sound Preferences (System Prefs/Sound).

If you only have M:S seleted as the Sound Engine in Ableton, it causes the drop out.

Hopefully this works for any of you too!

Ben

2 Likes

Whoa - trying to record audio into Ableton from the M:S audio and it just goes away. But first it’s super glitchy. I upgraded the OS and I’m using a 2019 MacBook Pro.

I’m assuming this is a bug, correct?

Hi all,

My Model:Samples arrived in the mail today. After testing everything out it seems to work fine. I do notice the sound card audio drops out after a while it seems. I still got audio in my AUM iOS app but the audio was gone. Only worked again after rebooting the Model:Samples. There seem to be stability issues? Does anyone else have problems with this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi, I have the same issue. 2019 MBP with Catalina and M:S with latest firmware version 1.12. I have constantly audio drop outs in Ableton. Workarounds mentioned did not work for me.

Another thing

Any advice?

I am looking as well… maybe that Calldigit Thunderbolt 3 Dock/Hub?

Can anyone confirm this happens with the Model:cycle as well? I assume it uses the same audio engine as the Model:Samples with the same software running. This issue has been going on for a long time it seems? Will this ever be fixed? I’m not sure I can keep my new unit if the soundcard is that unstable I’m afraid. Has this audio bug been introduced in a recent firmware or is it like this since release?

I have contacted Elektron support about this topic today.

Edit: I’m running some tests right now with Audiobus 3 as the main “mixer/hub” and it has not crashed for over 20 minutes. Doing some tests the next days to confirm if it is AUM only related or not. But since I’ve seen others say it crashes on their mac as well I’m not sure about it.

It just happened again during a live session. This is starting to get really annoying and almost makes the unit unusable with iOS which is one of the main selling point of this unit for me. Using iOS 13.3 with AUM 1.3.5 and OS 1.12. Can some mod confirm that the Model:Cycles has the same issue? Or could someone test this out? Never seen anything like this with class compliant devices. Strange one this.

I’ve model cycles usb audio running on Yosemite, no dropout, rock solid an crystal clear. Using reason 8 for DAW.

@KraftCode Did you enable USB Accessories under Touch ID & Passcode?

1 Like

Edit #2: After running some tests at 512 buffer latency instead of my usual 256 in Apematrix I’ve had the longest session so far without the audio dropping out. Is it possible the sound card crashes when the the CPU is under heavy load or something or could it be caused by using a low latency buffer?

Edit: It seems to happen with Audiobus 3 and ApeMatrix as well. I’m not sure at this point what could be causing these random audio drops. I would honestly hate to return the unit but this really kills the workflow. Strangely, the audio is gone but is still visually showing up on the db meters.

I had not enabled that option that but it happens way sooner than an hour so I doubt it is related. Thanks for the suggestion though! I’m running some tests right now with Audiobus 3. It seemed to work longer than with AUM, but had a dropout when I started adding AUv3 plugins. I will need to run more tests. Such a hassle :frowning: I love the unit itself though, SO I do not want to return it.

1 Like

My issue is definitely related to hardware/software setup. I’ve tried to connect the M:S to an older MacBook Air (2011) with OS X Yosemite and it works without drop outs.

On 2019 MBP with Catalina it does not work. I’ve checked the console and I see audio process related kernel errors.

IOAudioEngine[<private>]::resetStatusBuffer()

USB Sound assertion (Resetting engine due to error returned in Read Handler) in /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/AppleUSBAudio-320.49/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp

USB Sound assertion (Input Fell Behind) in /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/AppleUSBAudio-320.49/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp

2 Likes

please submit that to Elektron.se support

3 Likes

Yes, I already did :wink:

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I have an update. I was using a usb to usb-c adapter to connect the M:S to my MacBook Pro. After switching to a more premium usb-c adapter, no drop outs anymore.

4 Likes

please share which product and where people here can find it, so that others with this same issue can try the adapter that works for you

2 Likes