Model:Cycles

It’s a really nice little demo video, I love all the different types of sounds they got out of it. Really versatile!

1 Like

Don’t know if I have told you this already, but you can totally do berghain monster techno with the m:c, just add a 909 ride sample.

I already know you’d love the m:c, but I wont say more because I respect your plan to show restraint and only buy it when the time is right :nyan:

2 Likes

love that demo :ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

That ship set sail this morning.
Not sure when it will ship but order placed.
I blame global pandemic and possible “self isolate” instructions.
Might as well have 6 tracks of FM kicks if I gotta be in one place for two weeks.

17 Likes

Totally. The video is reminding me of wipeout, the old playstation 1 game.
Im most probably getting a MC. But not until 2021.

Hey congrats! You will love it

I’m getting an m:s too as soon as I suss out how to get custom samples to it without using a computer.

I know the two models connected to the OT covers most of my needs for techno and club styles, and will make for a very nice compact live rig :loopy:

2 Likes

2-Operator FM is also a lot of fun in Bitwig’s The Grid. All its oscillator variants have a phase input you can use for FM (well PM really, but that’s what we’re talking about here anyway) and since you can switch them out easily while keeping equivalent settings it’s a lot of fun experimenting with different waveshapes. Another thing that you get is a lot of control over envelope shapes so you can experiment with the impact that has on the sound really easily as well.

The excuses people will come up with to justify their impulses :wink:

But yeah, i m fantasizing about how MC would fit into my techno live rig. Can really imagine good use for it. I much like the demo s. And at that price…

1 Like

@tsutek or anyone who has both a Model Sample/Cycles and an Analog Heat,

Can you send audio from the Model Sample/Cycles to the Analog Heat via USB?

Sounds perfect! My m:c is in the ups post office , have to wait untill Monday, they didn’t let me pick it up today…
My intention is exactly that, m:c in, dfam out! I was thinking about keeping dfam for a week, but this box is all i wanted to hear from the drum machine, and you can program and save the heck out of it…
Also, the promo material for m:c is master peace, never thought ill say that for any marketing tool. The thing is, what the promo material is promising, the actuall product is delivering. At least that is my feeling about it.
And Ess is perfect face to represent it. He made a great job too. Elektron made lot of great tools, but this one is really something special, with all its flows, it is out growing its intended purpose. It is plastic simple box, affordable, but staff i hear coming out of it from the videos is sometimes amazing, even the worse demo i heard is not so bad.
Even simple synth engines are good in specific context.
One thing more, Elektron has proven that even when they have to fight big market players, they can do it with stile.

2 Likes

You’d need a computer to do that. I only have a computer in my studio so cant test right now.

Since the heat does its thing in the analog domain anyways, even with USB going to both, you are looking at one AD / DA conversion minimum anyways, so not sure what the henefits would be…

1 Like

I knew you couldn’t resist! How can you? It sounds so amazing!

I was hoping the AH’s “audio over USB” update would allow a way to do this without a computer. The benefit for me is less cables/clutter; that’s very appealing to me.

Problem is, even if the devices could handle it, USB A and micro-USB cables dont physically connect like that. You need a host side, neither of these boxes have USB host ports.

Perhaps we will see this sort of thing with USB-C one day, as those cables are symmetrical?

I can find the right cable with adapter for the USB cable no problem, but I did fail to consider the need for a USB host. Oh well; standard stereo 1/4 inch cables it is then.

neatest way i konw of is going from the headphone out into the heat with a 1/4" Y cable. So its just one cable then. However, the main outs might have a better output stage, I used those last time I was at the studio and things sounded glorious!

1 Like

From the manual :

ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Impedance balanced audio outputs
Main outputs level: +10 dBu Output impedance: 33 Ω unbalanced

Headphones output
Headphones out level: +6 dBu Output impedance: 1 Ω

ok so aside from the impedance diff, there is 4dBU more output at the main outs, thanks.

Q: can you plock reverb size and delay time?

actually thinking of swapping my DN for one of these. fast beatmaking is a big draw, I always get stuck in the weeds when working on DN drum tracks. love the sound of M:C, love the idea of chord inversions on a knob.

1 Like

No. You can p-lock the reverb and delay send amounts for each track.

1 Like