Model:Cycles

Yeah… from what Ess said: It has no auto save like the Digis - so always use the powerbutton - don‘t just rip out the powercord - that‘s how you lose everything afair …

1 Like

I know. The gnarly bass music side of m:c is what made me get one in the first place! Was thinking of combining it with a x0xb0x and RD-8 just to piss off @darenager :diddly:

1 Like

I have a feeling back in 1981, when aspiring guitarists went in to get their backup bass player for practice, the th-303, a lot of units got returned as the 303 was an absolute failure at the time.

Cycles has only just come out. Find it’s groove. Don’t be hasty. A bunch of posts about people returning DT, only regretting, then rebuying.

You can’t drink whiskey after it’s poured into the barrel. You gotta let it ferment. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve been finding most of the sound design side of it in the LFO, but luckily you can lock that per step easily and get some pretty interesting things going on. Design wise it reminds me of the gameboy nanoloops which isn’t a bad thing.

2 Likes

I’m kind of on the fence about getting the Model:Cycles, and it is a little odd, lots of factors tugging me in different directions

Things tugging more toward it:

• I really like the model: format, have been very prolific with the M:S
  • The Price
  • The flexibility (curious to layer 3-4 chord machines for pads)
  • The punch button accent/compressor (my M:S is jealous)
  • Appreciate the design philosophy that went into the latest “machines” based Elektron
  • Another Elektron that can do whole tracks in one box.

Things making me think twice:

• I got a Volca Drum less than 2 months ago and yea, a little bit of overlap there. Should probably utilize it more.
  • Don’t want to disrupt my streak of M:S only productivity, the well is not yet dry.
  • Don’t want to disrupt my M:S+OT live setup (which has taken some considerable time and work), should i fall in love with the thing.
  • Let go of my Digitone, prefer my A4 to it. I’m not the #1 FM fan (but can make anything work)
  • I’d be encouraged to do whole tracks with it, and that might be more sonically limiting than my M:S

Just thinking out loud, really.
Maybe I wait much longer than I initially planned to. I didn’t have the M:S for the first 10 or 11 months it was available.

3 Likes

Can‘t check right now - but maybe someone has found out: Are step trigs from the sequencer sent out as MIDI as well?

yes, and when you are ready to check it out, it’s all in the manual

1 Like

I couldn‘t really find it clearly in the manual - it was more about the pads etc.

Thanks for sharing those tips!

Page 16.

Using the Search function in the PDF, MIDI comes up first in the Table of Contents under “Send MIDI”, linking to page 16 / overview. Further direction is given there, to page 26.

3 Likes

Ah … I was only reading in the MIDI section - thanks

x0xb0x cancels out RD-8, now if you had said TD-3 instead of x0xb0x I’d have had to send the goons around to secretly change all your midi cables for identical looking dinsync cables, which of course wouldn’t work, because I’d be sure not to give them fully wired ones.

3 Likes

The BD machine is REALLY nice, has that MD EFM vibe plus quite a bit else besides, good for smooth or hard, peachy.

6 Likes

What’s the point of the “save pattern” function, in the end ?

was just gonna say this machine is worth it for the kicks alone. I’ve been having a hankering for a Jomox box again, just for the kicks. but their OS is absolute garbage and I can’t deal with it. thankfully the M:C has cured that desire for me.

fwiw on the DN vs M:C subject… I have a DN as well and while there is overlap, they’re definitely different machines in both sound and approach. the beauty of the M:C is in the simplicity and immediacy of it. just a few parameters to shape your sound, right in front of you. not several pages of options you’re diving into endlessly. I haven’t even looked at the manual yet. not sure I’ll need to, it’s pretty self-explanatory.

Ahh, but you haven’t yet seen the summing mixer I inted to use!

:wink:

2 Likes

I agree, the kicks are right up my alley!

Seems to be able to 606ish kicks and a whole lot more besides.

Say, has anyone used the new Elektron transfer app? I’m on OS Catalina so C6 no longer works, and was just wondering how to transfer syx format patterns from my m:c to my mac.

Anyone know how to do this? The transfer app only seems to facilitate transferring stuff from the mac to the m:c and not the other way around.

Just use Sysex Librarian. It’s a piece of cake.

1 Like

That‘s to find out! Has anybody found out yet? Save project / project with power off?