Model:Cycles

Stupid question. Is there anyone who has them in stock? They are sold out everywhere as far as I can see…

Patchwerks in Seattle has them. They have an online shop

1 Like

Solid review from Ricky Tinez. He goes pretty deep on how you’d be using this and where it fits regardless of the amount of gear and experience you might already own.

One suggestion I really like and that would make a lot of sense would be a way to do MPC-style 16 levels from the step buttons. Also, moving octaves up and down on them should indeed be simpler.

3 Likes

i read in the manual it is possible to change the keyboard octave in the track settings, + or - 24 semitones. so u can do this without mucking with your track pitch

Ricky always does a great job. He’s more of a musician than a lot of other YouTubers and that shows in his reviews. Also his videos always look so good

7 Likes

Shouts to the ‘Exai’ preset. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He is a musician but i don’t like his type of music which is boring to me, and that puts me off his videos. Hes quite biased to one style.

3 Likes

There are loads of YouTube content creators whose videos I enjoy for tutorials and reviews but I find most of their productions bland and generic. Very few would I actually buy their music and rarely do producers I like make videos

4 Likes

FWIW I agree, but I find his videos valuable because they’re framed by the perspective of someone who needs to use gear as a working musician in the studio and out live - he picks up on aspects that don’t get seen by the ‘read off a list of features’ reviewers.

5 Likes

He’s one of my fav for gear reviews. Great at breaking down features and applying them to different situations

nice! sounds just like my 808 :wink:

that’s often the problem for me with youtube reviews
The right choice of gear varies vastly with the style of music you want to create.
A house producer might not care for things that would get experimental musicians excited etc…

4 Likes

Feeling this one! I find it much less enjoyable to live record melodic stuff on the M:S than on the DT for this reason.

1 Like

As a kid of the late 80s and early 90s, I never stopped enjoying a wide variety or different styles of electronic dance music.

Still, when I don’t like something, I hardly ever feel the need to tell other about it. I prefer to share the stuff I do like.

16 Likes

Tinez is my favourite, for the very simple reason that I like his music and actually listen to it, regardless of reviews and his videos. I can appreciate a solid video from BoBeats, Loopop, Cuckoo, Jade, Huang and whatnot, but their music is very much a skilled technician’s work and not much more - to me, that is. Whereas Tinez got his own voice going in his work. I’ve had some contact with Tinez in other contexts, and he’s a great guy outside his YouTube world as well.

Most of the artists I listen to who frequent communities like this in one way or another, don’t review gear or talk much about them. Their videos are about other things. @boboter 's by far my favourite, but Hainbach, Knobs (okay, Knobs reviews gear) and their likes come close.

9 Likes

Have you bashed out melodies on OT trigs? If so how does it compare to that?

Sat with the M:C last night for a few hours and worked out that if I ‘play’ those buttons on the bottom edge then they work almost as super tiny synth keys - I know that sounds bonkers but then I was able to play in a very steady arp without screwing it up. Quite a relief actually haha…
These buttons invite you to hit them on the head - that’s exactly what you shouldn’t do if you wanna play something as an instrument. Just another 2 cents…

addendum : and I am having more fun with it now…

4 Likes

Yep, for me the OT is slightly better than the M:S in that regard because the buttons are more affirmative and easier to hit. I guess you get used to it though! For my brain the DT way of doing it makes the most sense, both the placement of the keys and the action of the buttons.

1 Like

Hey, thank you for the compliment. Much appreciated. I haven’t read through the whole thread, so this might be too of topic. But I don’t consider myself a youtuber at all. I just make music and sometimes I have the camera rolling while doing so. For my next album I did not film anything because I am a bit annoyed by the whole youtube thing, but maybe I will make some music videos with some found footage like I did years ago.

Reviews in general a weird thing, often a bit too soft for my taste - and I just don’t have the patience to sit through them most of the time. I just skip to the passage with no talking and try to figure out if I like the sound of something. That is why I prefer no-talk demos. And Knobs is just my favorite, as I watch his videos for the music alone. And sometimes the pedals also speak to me.

5 Likes

Suppose it will probably seem easier the more you do it. I was never too keen to play melodies on the OT trigs but came around to it. Now I play them like they have velocity and I’m adding vibrato :joy:

1 Like