Model:Cycles Q & A with Ess

Hey @Ess,

first of all congratulations on the Model Cycles to you and to the whole team behind it. I was at the launch event in Berlin and I instantly fell in love with it.

Since you repeatedly mentioned the MC202 as an inspiration is this where the grey / blue colorway of the Model Cycles comes from?

1 Like

No, I have nothing to do with the look of the unit.

5 Likes

Yea I know you are not directly involved in the physical product design team but it seemed to fit so well. :wink:

Thanks for the quick answer.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Model:Cycles Feature Requests Thread

If you have both Model:Samples and Cycles hooked up over midi - can you do a cntrl all over both boxes with any of the parameters? (appreciate they arent identical but for say pitch/swing?

If you look like this, yes.

image https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f7/Goro_(Mortal_Kombat).png/220px-Goro_(Mortal_Kombat).png

5 Likes

would struggle with those fingers still…

2 Likes

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Model:Cycles Feature Requests Thread

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Model:Cycles Feature Requests Thread

So, to be clear. Is LFO sent via midi?
If you set LFO destination to lets say Pan (midi CC 10). Are those values to CC 10 not being sent via midi? Just internally?

I may just connect it to midi ox when I go back home and see what midi values are being sent…

I dont think it is. IIRC the manual states that only MIDI note data will be transmitted by the sequencer.

2 Likes

and if M Out is enabled per track you can sweep the encoder manually, but no internal LFO routing is going to appear out - it’s just the manual encoder movement for e.g. LFO speed that will appear at the output

1 Like

Ok thanks…midi note, gate and velocity I guess…or just midi note number?

the velocity is part of the standard note on message, so it’s there - I wasn’t aware that manufacturers only sent the one data byte but maybe that’s possible, never seen it though

you can’t filter notes from encoders though as the bigger boxes do - it’s all out on none out, so tweaking encoders whilst external sequencing may pose problems if those manually-twisted CCs can’t be filtered at the other end

@Ess from what you know about the time and resources that are involved in making one of these boxes, is there any possibility of a super-scaled-down Model format version of the synthesis side of the Analog Rytm, or is implementing analog voice components too infeasible/impractical at that scale?

I was wondering if you could share the screen manufacturer/part number (as you did with the CPU)? Also, does it (the screen) speak I2C?

(In case I want to void my warrantee and stick an OLED screen in there, it would help with compatibility…)

3 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Model:Cycles Feature Requests Thread

Just moved a handful of posts/discussion to the feature requests thread.

This thread is not for feature requests.

Like Ess said:

Titled edited to denote that this isn’t a general request/discussion thread.

9 Likes

Is coronavirus going to impact production of model cycles?

1 Like

Any idea when M:C second batch will be ready? Gotta capitalise on the current hype :wink: