Model:Cycles Q & A with Ess

Yes an update for M:C - I had expected that after buying it. Maybe just bugfixes but also a few new features. The unnecessary timeout of Control All is particularly annoying. (Ok maybe not “long” overdue then but just overdue)

1 Like

I put duct tape under the track pads rubber, to make them more sensitive.
Still not as good a s a firmware fix., but it helps a lot.

2 Likes

Yes, that helps. I wish Elektron would do that before they send out the devices. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just gonna say I pulled the plug on a Model Cycles and just wanna say hi and that I really dig it! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

6 Likes

Hey hey !! been using elektron for a while , but am i the only one that with the Cycles , Saving patterns seems so werid …
It happens so often that i think i have saved all patterns and project but when i re-open the machine nothing is there …

I do trigger it only with a DT … but saving patterns doesn’t save sounds ?
i wish i could save all at the end of sessions like on DT or OT … :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think it depends on how you power it down. Dont just switch off Power…hold the power button until it shuts down, then disconnect the mains.

7 Likes

Woah yes thank you this might be it …
Its true that with my live setup i have a main power bar to power up all …
this seems to work !

3 Likes

Hello. I’m quite new to the music production world. I am interested in many genres and artists and wanted a groovebox to begin making music with. Would a Model:Cycles or a Digitone be better for me? I think the price and simplicity of the MC is very attractive, but a digitone would be better in the long run, as I don’t think making music will be something I’ll drop or get bored of.
Thanks!

If you want the last groovebox of your life, the Digitone is probably better.

Otherwise, the Model:Cycles is a great machine by itself and with friends. Many a gear hound such as my self has found it an inspiring “home away from home” to get away from bigger gear while still having a very expressive sequencer and synthesis engine. And the sound palette is rather unique and complements more analog or sample-based sounds well.

Cycles has a distinctive sound (i.e. you like it or hate it, check this thread to decide for yourself), 2 more tracks than Digitone and easily understandable and fun to play with layout. Digitone is more versatile and mature synth capable of doing both musical and percussive sounds while being limited by its 4 tracks. However with parameter locks you can create the whole drums sequence using only 1 track – check this performance by @Eaves. I would suggest you to go through Ivar’s Digitone videos on his YouTube channel to appreciate the possibilites of this synth. And I think there are some third party tools to help you write drums on Digitone.

If you’re a novice and want to “test the water” than Cycles is cheap and fun introduction into hardware synths. However in the long run Digitone will become more useful part of your setup.

2 Likes

Ok thank you. Yes I’ve heard MD is great paired with other stuff, although I don’t actually have any other gear/friends that produce.

I have heard about parameter locks, sounds very useful. Yes one of the biggest reasons for my undecisiveness is the price of the MC. Thank you for your reply.

Hello, I have a question that is drives me crazy. I’m trying to recreate the preset A01 TR2 (Modex2003) but it seems to be longer than 4 pages, as if it were possible to record variations on the main theme. Is there a way to record sequences longer than 4 pages without use chained patterns?

Welcome @matwoodsman

You should look into trig conditions.
It is possible to have trigs muted or playing only during first round of the pattern (1st / Not 1st).

2 Likes

Hey that’s one of mine :slight_smile:

I actually can’t remember what I did for that one, but it’s all in there for you to dig around, you just need to know what you’re looking for.

There are two possibilities—first, trig conditions like 1:4, 3:4 etc.; second, using half, quarter or eighth speed scale on a track can extend a chord progression to make it longer without having to chain patterns.

I think the second is what I did in that pattern, with an LFO on the chord to make it sound like it was being triggered on 16th notes while the track was playing at half speed.

7 Likes

Thanks for letting me discover the triggers! I’m a newbie to (amazing) Elektron products (and Electronic music in general) so thanks a lot!

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. You did a great job with that pattern, that’s amazing! I’ll try to do following both the ways. Many thanks

4 Likes

careful that can mess up your saves /j

(no but really don’t unplug it before you save and power off the device)

That’s so cool to know you programmed that pattern… Not every forum can someone find the guy behind the programming. :slight_smile:

1 Like