Model:Cycles Q & A with Ess

Yes, it was me! Glad you like them :blush:

10 Likes

Well, when I heard “Ghoul Hug” in the Elektron playlist, I went from “not interested, I’m a sample guy, you know…” to “might need to check this FM business real soon!”. Congrats for the patterns and this awesome box!

5 Likes

Me too, i was saving a presets. And after mutes mode was locked.
Hope it can be implemented in future

1 Like

That is actually my least favorite feature of the MC. The delay is usually drowned out by everything else that is happening and “tape” effects from fiddling with the time parameter are difficult to pull off. An option to disable this on a global level would be heartily welcomed.

Hi @Ess ,

Before I ask my question, I just want to say that the Model:Cycles has low key saved my life! Putting hundreds of hours into this groovebox really helped stave off some of the dread and depression of this pandemic.

Anyways, I was wondering if there are any plans for updates for the Model:Cycles? I know you said in February that there weren’t plans for new machines but has that changed?

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum. And I’m glad the M:C has served you well during these strange times. Just to let know, Ess left Elektron last month. He may still answer because he still has a profile here and has been active. But just in case he doesn’t, that’s why. There’s a thread about it here: Bye-bye

4 Likes

No one except Elektron employees knows when updates are coming. It sure is long overdue though.

1 Like

Long overdue? They released (and I bought) it 9 short (from a business point of view) Covidified months ago… what???

1 Like

Yes an update for M:C - I had expected that after buying it. Maybe just bugfixes but also a few new features. The unnecessary timeout of Control All is particularly annoying. (Ok maybe not “long” overdue then but just overdue)

1 Like

I put duct tape under the track pads rubber, to make them more sensitive.
Still not as good a s a firmware fix., but it helps a lot.

2 Likes

Yes, that helps. I wish Elektron would do that before they send out the devices. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just gonna say I pulled the plug on a Model Cycles and just wanna say hi and that I really dig it! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

6 Likes

Hey hey !! been using elektron for a while , but am i the only one that with the Cycles , Saving patterns seems so werid …
It happens so often that i think i have saved all patterns and project but when i re-open the machine nothing is there …

I do trigger it only with a DT … but saving patterns doesn’t save sounds ?
i wish i could save all at the end of sessions like on DT or OT … :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think it depends on how you power it down. Dont just switch off Power…hold the power button until it shuts down, then disconnect the mains.

7 Likes

Woah yes thank you this might be it …
Its true that with my live setup i have a main power bar to power up all …
this seems to work !

3 Likes

Hello. I’m quite new to the music production world. I am interested in many genres and artists and wanted a groovebox to begin making music with. Would a Model:Cycles or a Digitone be better for me? I think the price and simplicity of the MC is very attractive, but a digitone would be better in the long run, as I don’t think making music will be something I’ll drop or get bored of.
Thanks!

If you want the last groovebox of your life, the Digitone is probably better.

Otherwise, the Model:Cycles is a great machine by itself and with friends. Many a gear hound such as my self has found it an inspiring “home away from home” to get away from bigger gear while still having a very expressive sequencer and synthesis engine. And the sound palette is rather unique and complements more analog or sample-based sounds well.

Cycles has a distinctive sound (i.e. you like it or hate it, check this thread to decide for yourself), 2 more tracks than Digitone and easily understandable and fun to play with layout. Digitone is more versatile and mature synth capable of doing both musical and percussive sounds while being limited by its 4 tracks. However with parameter locks you can create the whole drums sequence using only 1 track – check this performance by @Eaves. I would suggest you to go through Ivar’s Digitone videos on his YouTube channel to appreciate the possibilites of this synth. And I think there are some third party tools to help you write drums on Digitone.

If you’re a novice and want to “test the water” than Cycles is cheap and fun introduction into hardware synths. However in the long run Digitone will become more useful part of your setup.

2 Likes

Ok thank you. Yes I’ve heard MD is great paired with other stuff, although I don’t actually have any other gear/friends that produce.