Model:Cycles Q & A with Ess

Oops yeah reset, not retrig :smile:

2 Likes

Ess, your answers have been so fun to read! Thanks for taking the time dude.

1 Like

@josker you can leave speed at default, set mult to 1.

2 Likes

If pitch is already high it will not go higher than that.

Set Lfo speed knob to 0, if done that way multi does nothing
5x0=0…:sweat_smile:
Also set lfo to reset…

2 Likes

Holy mother of… there’s a SETUP page! :heart_eyes:

Thanks! Been playing for ~4 nights, don’t know how THAT went unnoticed.

1 Like

Yes, glad you like it! Pretty spot on, except for Magic that’s loosely referring to how much macro mapping is in each machine.

18 Likes

In live recording mode is there a way to record increasing velocity on retrig (by applying pressure on the TRK pad) ?
For example I’m using VDep + Dst with Velocity Fix set to off to get some really nice fading staccato effects but I want the changing Vel data to be saved as live recorded PLocks.

2 Likes

@Ess would you be able to upload the project file from the “Introducing Model:Cycles” video? I fell in love with Model:Cycles after listening to that video. I am always trying to learn new Elektron gear by breaking down stock patterns, and this one would be awesome to get into.

4 Likes

very D&D! love it!

2 Likes

Great @Ess, very interesting!

I think that there might be some things that could be easily translated to the Digitone.

The development of these little machines and the effort done on “simplify” them can improve the bigger ones if wanted.

1 Like

@Ess Further to this can you also upload the patterns from the " Model:Cycles — This is … " videos please ?

I love how you get all the sounds from one machine per video.

2 Likes

When you do preset p-locks…is it possible to make a smooth value transition between different presets and adjust the speed? Imagine some kind kind of slide or morph

Didn’t see that asked before - after watching loopop’s video it seems that each machine has a default eq curve so they complement well each other is that true @Ess? Thanks

1 Like

?? He says that?

It is visible on the analyser. They have different curves when played from the same octave range. Perc is mid, hats only top, etc.

Isn’t that just how drums works in general? :slight_smile:

Well, one might want to make a kick out of the perc track or vice versa, and since the eq is locked and there are no filters that wont be entirely doable if that is the case.

1 Like

Got ya.

@Ess regarding the dev and test process. At what stage have you defined and tested the controls? I guess in the Max or M4L stage?

Asking because I teach Max to industrial design students and this makes a great example.

I personally was just going to try and get a deeper understanding. If I get the Algos I’d be perfectly happy, as not disclosing the mapping actually is a invitation creativity. Imagine all the alternative macro possibilities that could be made :slight_smile:

1 Like