Model:Cycles Q & A with Ess

it sounds great! thanks

Thanks for the replies Ess, really awesome to read about the design and development process behind this amazing instrument :smiley:

(I would also be interested to hear the reasoning behind no attack control outside of the LFO, I feel like it could open a new dimension of softer sounds if it was possible but at the same time I love the punchy sound as it is now so please don’t take this as a criticism!)

@ess was the little stats card for the different machines your idea? its definitely a little touch that I really appreciate. I am guessing STR = Raw powerful sounds, DEX = how flexible the range of sounds you can get out of it are and MAG = is how good it is for just random knob twiddling for awesome unexpected results.

Makes me want to try my hand at some dungeon synth on it.

7 Likes

Can’t get this to work. Random lfo, mul 1, dst pitch, dep 63, speed 0?

speed 16?

Make sure retrig is on.

3 Likes

Reset

5 Likes

Oops yeah reset, not retrig :smile:

2 Likes

Ess, your answers have been so fun to read! Thanks for taking the time dude.

1 Like

@josker you can leave speed at default, set mult to 1.

2 Likes

If pitch is already high it will not go higher than that.

Set Lfo speed knob to 0, if done that way multi does nothing
5x0=0…:sweat_smile:
Also set lfo to reset…

2 Likes

Holy mother of… there’s a SETUP page! :heart_eyes:

Thanks! Been playing for ~4 nights, don’t know how THAT went unnoticed.

1 Like

Yes, glad you like it! Pretty spot on, except for Magic that’s loosely referring to how much macro mapping is in each machine.

18 Likes

In live recording mode is there a way to record increasing velocity on retrig (by applying pressure on the TRK pad) ?
For example I’m using VDep + Dst with Velocity Fix set to off to get some really nice fading staccato effects but I want the changing Vel data to be saved as live recorded PLocks.

2 Likes

@Ess would you be able to upload the project file from the “Introducing Model:Cycles” video? I fell in love with Model:Cycles after listening to that video. I am always trying to learn new Elektron gear by breaking down stock patterns, and this one would be awesome to get into.

4 Likes

very D&D! love it!

2 Likes

Great @Ess, very interesting!

I think that there might be some things that could be easily translated to the Digitone.

The development of these little machines and the effort done on “simplify” them can improve the bigger ones if wanted.

1 Like

@Ess Further to this can you also upload the patterns from the " Model:Cycles — This is … " videos please ?

I love how you get all the sounds from one machine per video.

2 Likes

When you do preset p-locks…is it possible to make a smooth value transition between different presets and adjust the speed? Imagine some kind kind of slide or morph

Didn’t see that asked before - after watching loopop’s video it seems that each machine has a default eq curve so they complement well each other is that true @Ess? Thanks

1 Like