Model:Cycles only music

Super nice! With three tracks left over you could add some percussion.

Yeah i know but… it’s Zelda :slight_smile: I like - sometimes - to produce some restrained tracks ^^

3 Likes

Brilliant. My girlfriend (massive Zelda fan) ran into the room when I was playing it. Quote: “Zelda! That’s fucking awesome.” :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Woaw, thanks a lot! Cheers!

1 Like

That’s appreciated too. Stay rad.

Interstellar theme played with M:C as a two layer, 3 note FM poly synth via Ableton and a midi round robin device as explained here
First the Tone machine, then the chord machine and third both together. Reverb and delay from the M:C only but using it as a one part synth allows for using ableton fx like a chorus or whatever.

Lots of possibilities and combinations possible; I like it more than the Volca FM or the Waldorf Streichfett I had

6 Likes

Damn, some really lovely sounds!

1 Like

I know this was a while back, but this reply has troubled me slightly since so it’s time for a response, not for my one sake: I could care less, but for anyone else who might stumble across this and have similar thoughts.

My post was purely a point of praise for the technical ability to create something I really enjoyed in such a short space of time, with a bit of my own reality thrown in for perspective. Now there’s nothing wrong with this and I’m happy with where I am with music and my abilities at this time. Not everyone can reach the same high levels they hear in someone else’s productions, regardless of time, experience, dedication, equipment etc, etc. As with anything in life, some are better than others.

For me I love tinkering with music tech and traditional instruments and my results please and disappoint me in equal measures - no difference from many others I suspect. What I do also really enjoy is listening to music and watching videos of others who have similar equipment. I take inspiration, as most do, but I’m under no illusion that I, personally, will be able to create content of a similar standard. I’m OK with that and so can many others be, if that’s what they choose.

There have been six major hobbies in my life: running, cycling, wind-surfing, snowboarding, clubbing and music. Your comment “Damn these are great! Look how much power is potentially right at my fingertips! Let’s step up our game!”, if applied, can only take you so far. For example, I used to run for the Army. 10 miles in 1 hour, in boots, in any weather, which if you don’t know is pretty good going. This was enough to compete but not fast enough to win. Doesn’t matter how much more I trained or got stronger my times stayed the same, I had plateaued.

I used to cycle, 200 miles a week. 140 of these in the hills around where I live every weekend. My road bike was the same as used by a TdF team at the time and I fueled myself to a strict regime. I entered Sportif’s and amateur races and had some successes but no matter how much I pushed myself or how much I improved my technique I was always way off the Pro’s and Semi-Pro’s, who were just in a different league, even though on paper we had similarities. I could go on… the same is for wind surfing and snowboarding. Now clubbing is a different matter: I was at the top of my game for 10 years!

Surely there is place for everyone, that’s the whole point of life. Not everyone can be the best or even reach their own modest goals. If the enjoyment is there then the journey can continue and along the way you can praise others, ideally without the judgement of others. I appreciate every post of music and video, every tip, every question on this forum – they educate and entertain me.

Peace!

5 Likes

When I was 15 I worked for a summer with a successful sculptor. She told me that when people offer to show their expressions (art or ideas), they should be encouraged first. Anything else (for example criticism or testing) can follow.

This isn’t a practice developed because it is expedient or ‘easy’. It’s just how ideas grow and how we get to see the best possible art in time. It was interesting to see the exact practice in a brilliant ad agency years later. Other (less successful) agencies allow competition earlier (in ideas meetings people will jump over each other’s thoughts/sketches with variations, perceived ‘improvements’ perhaps before truly understanding). You could watch in real-time hierarchy and ego manifest and close-off creative avenues.

That is to say. X might not be considered good. But X is no less welcome or valid.

I feel this has some relevance to your comment 853. Sorry for the derail ppl.

2 Likes

Respect. Sounds like SF.

No, just a regular Joe who with a light frame. Get me carrying any weight and I was knackered.

@853 I had to read through my old comment and yours a few times. I thought my reply came across weird or that I was personally knocking you.

I totally get what you’re saying and you’re right! There is always someone better than you but that should not take away from the enjoyment of doing it. I spent years in martial arts and I had goals I could never reach. I still have goals that I’ll never reach but at some point you put that down and you do it because you love it. You just do it for its own sake. The whole point of life in my own personal philosophy is “play” not as in treating it lightly (you have to eat or you die and lose the game too early lol) but as in playing to the best of my ability and enjoying it while I do so. Hope that makes sense and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

2 Likes

This would be a great discussion for another thread. I’m always interested in these kinds of thoughts on creativity. Maybe I’ll start one in the lounge later. Work time now though!!

2 Likes

Made a video with M:C only, no external processing or any other additions.

Got into some serious 90s rave vibes, this box has so gnarly sounds. And I just got reminded of this raw/fun vibe of some 90 techno/rave/acid music.

Really fun session and some moments in the video make myself laugh pretty hard, overall spent like an hour on the music and another two on filming and editing…

Enjoy

9 Likes

wow
That sounds very different than other M:C videos… amazing job

I know this feeling!

It’s seriously heartwarming to see such agreeable philosophical positions on this board.

3 Likes

M:C only. Laid back and vaguely creepy. Cool that you can get strong kicks even without the Kick Machine

15 Likes

Great work!

The rave scene at 4:20 is a classic and brings back many happy memories. I used to get RSI from dancing like that for 12 hours!

1 Like

Thanks! And I feel you about the RSI, that was totally me in the second half of the 90s, only with worse moves :wink:

Always interesting songs. Sounds like a score piece.

Hah, sounds like a bad Tinder headline :rofl:

1 Like