Model:Cycles Feature Requests Thread

The knob cc are not sent by the sequencer, so there is no point in giving the ability to change cc numbers.

The midi sequencer implimentation is the model:X is very poor, just notes are sent…well program change and clock too…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Meh, just having a cc interface would be enough for me. Velocity does a lot.

If you’d only need the knobs to transmit correct CCs without the sequencing functions, you could have a CC remapping solution to do CC numer translating for you. Would be quite trivial to implement with something like BomeBox.

Please please please implement a pulse sync mode where the MIDI out port can be switched to sync pocket operators, gameboy etc :slight_smile:

6 Likes

yep and while :3lektron: are at it, extend the non MIDI Din Sync options on the other devices to include this (sure the A4/R have workarounds) but the midi port can be used if the user adds the dongle on the other end of teh MIDI cable

This makes more sense with the Model series though and i must admit i would have expected this from the get go - seems natural to integrate with smaller boxes, certainly wrt having clock out - maybe clock in gives the devs more to think about

clock triggers can be so useful, so this is a solid suggestion

2 Likes

thank you for making the Model Cycles, Will you please include an intelligent randomizer/ Randomization feature in an update that allows you to randomize all parameters and also randomize only certain parameters while not randomizing the ones that you want to keep as is?

regards

2 Likes
  1. mute-mod latch.
  2. reload kit on pattern switch.
1 Like

I will thank so much a musical scale mode. And maybe func+knob to turn musical values like digitone will be useful too.

8 Likes

Trig condition for ‘choosing’/‘picking’ random values, AND scales (sort of)

Alright, I got a pretty big request I’ve been brainstorming on for a few days. This also kills two birds with one stone, which wasn’t my original intention.

This was effectively my first elektron device, I’ve always heard of the trig conditions. But now that I’m fully familiar with their capabilities, I feel like they’re really missing a sort of random ‘choose’/‘pick’ type function. Like, predetermined values from a list. Eg, at step 9, play (C5, G5, or B5). Eg, at step 5, set delay at (115, or 50).

The best implementation I came up with would be to provide an alternative to ‘chromatic mode’ (when you can play the trig buttons as piano keys). Instead of chromatic keys, you can assign not just another note, but any preset with any predetermined values to any of the trig keys for a track.

So instead of having to play chromatically, you could say, arrange the notes in any way you’d like - this is a great workaround to not having any musical scales functionality.
But it’d be more powerful than that. You could have all keys play the same note, but with, say, different delays on keys [TRIG 1]-[TRIG 4], and different machine for keys [TRIG 5]-[TRIG 8]. The possibilities are endless of course. And of course, you could save these ‘keyboards’ just like you could save presets.

And now for the icing on the cake, fitting this in with a choose/pick function. The simplest way I came up with this is to have another type of trig condition called ‘choose’ (or whatever). You would select a low value, and a high value (1-16) corresponding to those trig keys. Then when the sequencer encounters that step it would, eg, randomly choose between the sounds you have assigned from keys 1-7. So, at step 3, choose randomly between keys [TRIG 1]-[TRIG 7].

You could get a lot of mileage out of this. Instead of having extra parameters to, lets say, choose [TRIG 1] 66% of the time, and [TRIG 2] 33% of the time, you just assign the [TRIG 1] preset to [TRIG 3], and then the [TRIG 1] sound effectively has a higher chance of playing.
I thought of having this feature being used separately from trig conditions, but you could just make a key play silence, which replaces the Conditional trig function. Alas, there’d be no way to have booleans work with this, so maybe this ‘choose’ feature should be separate from trig conditions.

Hope I explained that well enough. Seems like a great way to add extra functionality. I thought of many different ways to expand upon this, but this seems like the simplest way, which fits in with the MC ethos.
Only other major thing I might add would be if you could have a different ‘keyboard’ per-step, and thus, different pools to choose randomly from, per-step. That may be too much though, lol. But that’d make it a dream machine for me.

4 Likes

Trigger sequenced notes while in grid recording mode. Something like RETRIG+TRIG key could play the note so you don’t have to constantly play/stop to hear what you’ve done.

Ability to copy notes from Chromatic mode and paste to TRIGs in grid record mode. Using the Level/Data knob to select a TRIG note (without hearing it!) is really cumbersome.

In Chromatic mode, add a shortcut to assign a chromatically played TRIG to become the active pad note.

Yup. I actually did that with my tr8s into Nord drum 3 by going through my iPad for midi translation… but it just adds boxes, cables, hassle, so I never do it! :crazy_face:

Your ideas are very similar to how the Circuit Monostation handles what they call “patch flip”. You can “play” patches into the sequencer. It’s pretty amazing actually…

1 Like

I own monostation and the sequencer is very nice, slso the ability to play 2 synths via midi at the same time…and those 16 scales.

I already asked but Function+Trig 1-16 to choose from 16 different scales. 16 trig buttons would equal 2 octaves, 3 in pentatonic scales.

Is there a way to record/draw automation? Like an unquantized parameter lock? When you live-record a knob movement, it locks it in to each step - it basically quantizes it. I’d like to slowly twist a parameter knob, and have it ‘draw’ my movements on to the microtiming grid. Great way to add psuedo-envelopes and psuedo-slides/portamento.

One way to implement this would be to replace the current system, and have it default to the behavior i described above. When you do want it to record to the step, you just quantize the automation of that parameter for that track.

Of course, then you’d have to re-write how the sequencer saves data. You’d have to have enough memory for every step of the microtiming grid for every knob. Seems like it would overwhelm the current storage space.

Maybe just have quantize on by default, and then you you can save memory by not using the microtiming grid for all parameters. When you draw on the microtiming grid, only then will you allocate memory for that parameter for that track. Seems like a lot of work though.

1 Like

There is not, I already asked that. Is what elektron calls “slide trigs”, not available in Digi/Model series…big mistake in my opinion…

I suggested a "normal/slide trig " setting per track via track ( scale) menu

1 Like

slide trigs aren’t quite like drawing automation, but you could get a lot of the same functionality. With microtiming drawing, you could ditch the lfo’s entirely, and use MIDI in to add whatever shape you needed, and then save it to the sequence.

But I’d be pretty happy with a normal/slide trig setting. Pretty simple solution really.

Now that I think about it, most of my issues could be sorted out with a dedicated MIDI controller. There could be a companion iOS app or something of the sort.

Well, not the same but maybe not so heavy on the DSP. Besides if you needed high midi precission you could make a 130bpm pattern with tempo set to 260bmp and track scale to 2x.

With up to 64 steps per track you would be able to make 16 step patters with 3 micro steps between steps. That would be more than enough for my needs…:sweat_smile:

Something is needed to overcome the lack of proper attack setting and just one lfo limit

Yeah, I think this goes against Elektron’s design philosophy as well. Because once you start being able to put more than 16 events on a page, people will start asking why they can’t put notes as well, then if Elektron implemented that, people would be complaining about not being able to edit sub-steps (cf. OP-Z) and before we know it, the experience isn’t as simple and clean as it used to be.

2 Likes

Is it possible to enable retrig and record the different velocities it produces into the sequencer?

1. A CTRL ALL toggle for the LFO…when enabled, it will control that LFO’d Parameter across all tracks :astonished: