Model 1 DJ/Studio mixer

I bought a used Model 1 a couple of weeks ago and use it for mixing all my synths. I find it extremely flexible, yet simple and intuitive. I send aux 1 and 2 to Analog Heat and OT AB, and use cue B as a third aux send to OT CD. AH out and OT cue go into the two return channels. The DSub connectors are very handy for connecting everything. As all channels are stereo and cannot be panned, I run my Lyra through a stereo splitter cable. There is one issue I encountered with the zero-crossing detection for switching on the master filter and master EQ: when the signal is weak, it does not react immediately. I do not know whether this is a common problem or just my mixer, and I contacted support about this. In practice, as soon as you are using multiple channels, it works well. Overall, I am very happy with it - the sound shaping possibilities added a whole new layer to my music making.

Edit: another (more cosmetic) issue I have is that the printing/lettering on the mixer surface gets rubbed off quite easily - I saw this also mentioned in one of the reviews. Shouldn’t happen at this price point, but does not affect the sound…

2 Likes

@ccr did a good job :wink:
The 0 crossing threshold for engaging the filter is normal.
I do not use mine anymore as my workflow has changed completely.
Used to DJ and eventually started using DT in my sets. Then came the curiosity of synths…
It is a really good mixer for synths. I can perfectly see it as the centre piece for a hardware live act or as a mixer for synths in a studio.
Mine is still for sale, I got an exchange of mine in May 2020 after having had issues with pots. Nothing due to the mixer itself, rather the fact the music store that had sold it to me had it as an expo model…

Another aspect that could be interesting to some: for each of the input channels, you have both a balanced DSub connection as well as RCA inputs (TRS jacks for the returns), and you can easily switch between the two types of inputs per channel.

2 Likes

And the D-Sub connection system allows for using Cue B as a third aux send :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So how do you connect the synths via D-Sub?

I have everything going into an Apollo and Apollo 16 so I can track everything seperately.

D-Sub jack connection from your synths to the MODEL1

Check for example Cordial CFD 1.5 DVT - each DSub 25 allows connecting 4 stereo channels (via 8 jacks).

Model 1 has 2 DSubs for inputs and 1 for outputs.

Exactly what I used.
3 of these and you will be sorted :slight_smile: for all I/Os on the MODEL1 (Mains, aux sends/returns X3 etc…).

1 Like

The problem I have is that the Apollo 16 doesnt have headphone jacks. :roll_eyes:

I was hoping Id be able to get rid of the interfaces and just use the Model 1.

Now if I want to get rid of my silver Apollo and use the Apollo 16 which has D-Subs only, I wont be able to hear with headphones which is mega important as I usually play with toys when kids asleep :joy:

I suppose I can monitor through the Mode 1…

1 Like

Yes, of course, you can listen to your mix through the headphone out (cue A) - you can balance the level between cue and mix busses.

2 Likes

But what about running Xone:96 with an external sound card like a MOTU? Won’t I then be able to get the Analog saturation effect like on the 92? Given that I don’t distort the MOTU of course. I’m just asking since I already placed an order for the 96 :slight_smile:

How are model1 users feeling about this mixer now? I have come so close to ordering about 3 times this week - the only thing holding me back is that it doesn’t have direct outs! It seems like such a silly thing not to have in such a robust mixer with db25! There was a mod’d model1 on reverb ages ago that had 4 stereo direct outs via the db25 and I feel like that is the ultimate set up.

Anyone have any insight of how they record synths with model 1 - are you just summing your live set - or 1 by 1 tracking each voice after you are done jamming?

1 Like

Well you have 3 aux sends and 2 main out.
Plus 2 headphones out.
You mean direct outs?

1 Like

All 3 sends on dsub25 are stereo. I guess you can use them as direct outs (but then you are missing the effects sends, of course). A dsub holds 4 balanced stereo channels. There are 2 dsub ins (for 6 stereo tracks, 2 stereo returns) and 1 dsub out (3 stereo sends, main stereo mix). In addition you have a master out on xlr, a second master out (with separate level) on 1/4 jacks, as well as a booth out with separate level and eq.

All aux are are at the same time available from dsub and 1/4 jacks. My send 1 for example goes to an fx pedal and also to OT CD. For all ins/returns, the jack signal prevails over dsub - this allows for example to temporarily plug in another synth in an input channel without having to unplug your basic installation on dsub.

I always record the entire jam from the main outs. My feeling is that this mixer is very much oriented towards live performance. It allows for multiple ways of sound shaping, very flexible filter routing, performance effects with the filters and master eq, but there is no midi control, no automation, no scene recall, etc. In this sense it is quite purist and stripped down when it comes to features beyond frequency shaping (I miss panning, for example, and the possibility to have mono ins on a stereo channel - all stereo entries are hard-wired left/right).

For me it has opened up a world of very flexible live playing, though, and I am extremely happy with it (got it for a very good used price, still expensive though), but if you are looking at more elaborate, track-by track studio and recording work, it would probably be best to go with a studio-style mixer.

A small (and known) issue on mine, a bit annoying in this price range, is that the printing rubs off quite easily. More cosmetic than substantive, but still…

1 Like

Yeah I said direct outs! And I want the sends direct out too! You love yours?

Sold my MODEL1 :slight_smile:

No LOVE…

I run my turntable thru it for sampling and the filtering is so nice. I’m talking completely taking out the low end to get those nice crisp vocal samples. It’s also nice for additional filtering and EQing on the DN after running it thru a couple of pedals.

1 Like

Well, yeah, it does exactly what the manual says it does… maybe not a lot a features in terms of routing/outs etc. but what it does is very well implemented…

Apparently they’re gonna be doing a smaller version:

3 Likes