Model 1 DJ/Studio mixer

Blew my mind… pricey as hell.

Anyone using this in the studio (synths, external gear)?

https://playdifferently.org/model-1/

2 Likes

Looks good tbh…if wasent as pricy id prob buy.

Gonna get a xone 96 at somepoint. 6 channels also and not as pricey

4 Likes

super intrigued by this. that new SSL mixer let me do some research. I’m no DJ by ANY means, but with the 2 stereo sends and 6 stereo tracks with analogue filters, plus some on the master …

…anyone around here put this thing to use?

Nicole Moudaber using two at once

2 Likes

Allen and Heath xone 96 also in this ball park , ability to use usb interface as sends into ableton I belive plus the filters and crunch drive filters … lovely stuff . On my list for sure

2 Likes

Model 1 does look great, and I’m sure sounds amazing. Just can’t get my head around DJing with it.
Currently drooling over this.

Also by Andy Rigby-Jones.
Definitely less flexible than the Model 1 for studio use, but looks like more fun to DJ with.

I think I would be quite happy with just the 4 stereo pairs, an aux send/return or master insert for studio summing duties. I’m sure it sounds splendid.

3 Likes

Hey I’m interested as to why you think so? The Model 1 seems to have more tools at its disposal; maybe I am missing something about intuitive layout or something? I’ve honestly never really played tracks in a DJ-way, but thinking about picking that up sooner or later.

1 Like

A few things come to mind.

I could never envisage myself using all of the features of the Model 1 for DJing.

• I would rarely get 3 channels going at once, very rarely 4. I don’t think I’d ever be likely to use 6.
  • The tone controls on the Model 1 require a different way of thinking. Whilst essentially they are similar in essence to the traditional Hi (LPF) Mid (“sculpting EQ”) and Lo (HPF) EQ controls, I have no idea whether I would enjoy using the contour controls on the channel filters and the sweepable EQ on the mids. Seems a bit too fiddly. But maybe I’m wrong, it could be a blast.
  • Wider footprint and fewer (bigger!) knobs per channel give you more space on the Radius. Good for hot-knobbers like me.

This is all based on conjecture though and never having used either. It might be that in practice, the Model 1 becomes completely intuitive. I don’t think I’d ever be able to determine that from an in store demo though. It would probably take a few months of practicing. That’s too much of a £3k gamble for me!

I can immediately imagine how I would use the Radius. Sometimes less is more.

It’s still totally sexy though, and for production use, I reckon the Model 1 would be a completely different kettle of fish…

1 Like

That is a true analog mixer with headroom to spare.
Been using it with decks, traktor, synths…
Worth every penny in my opinion. Would never ever look back.
Sculpting EQ is a blast: find the frequency you are after then “erase” it or “boost” it :slight_smile:
Then HPF/LPF per channel, “Drive” is a miracle that kind of acts as a master for me: loads of warmth added.
Global HPF/LPF filter, global EQ, 2 AUX sends plus a third one if you connect with D-Sub through the CUE B.
This thing ROCKS. Full stop :slight_smile:
6 channels is not too much: using traktor, I use 4 tracks (one as a Kick/main track, melodies from other track,Bass from another etc…) Channel 5 for Maschine (added snares, HHs etc…) and Channel 6 from Mackie 1402 vlz where all my hardware synths Connect :slight_smile:
Has become the central piece of my studio :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well thanks. I knew this was a damn hot thing but now you’ve told me it can have a 3rd stereo send… Damn you :wink:

Have you got any audio examples?

1 Like

Audio examples of the mixer’s output?
I could indeed do this for you :slight_smile:
If you are not in a rush :slight_smile:
Hopefully this coming week. Will try to make it so that you can hear EQ, filters and Drive :slight_smile:

That thing IS really hot I have to say: have always used a bit of COMP (DSP plugin from within my MOTU) with previously owned mixers… Now that is out of question :slight_smile:
The “Drive” pot is my friend now :slight_smile:
The EQ is like a knife: allows me to dissect whatever freq I want to boost or kill.

1 Like

And zero crossing when you engage filters :wink:

Yes i meant recordings using it. That d be great!

Is it just me or is the lack of resonance control on the LP master filter a real ommission? I d have it the other way around if only one filter could have it. HPF sweeps are such cheap DJ tricks :wink:

Sure will look into it next week :wink:

Lack of Res on LP master filter is no lack for me in the end. I know what you mean regarding the cheap side of HPF+Res… The sweep of each filter is purely analog, no artefacts. And I usually have the Res at a fixed value more or less when using the master HP filter.

I never really had to make much of an effort to adapt. To the contrary; though it is a bit of a vicious circle as going back to something else now would not have me at ease :slight_smile: (A fixed EQ would have me lost now HAHAHA!!!) Apart from muscle memory, as with any new gear in the end :slight_smile: , the learning curve was nearly natural.

Yeah it s clear many many years of electronic music performance experience went into the design of this.

which SSL?

SSL Six mixer

Branded with “Play Differently” but all online demo s i can find are slick n easy 4/4 techno tunes. I d really be interested to hear something that s not a Ritchie hawtin knock off :smiley:

1 Like

@dtr noted :wink: Will try to get you some audio output examples other than RH’s style :slight_smile:

Side note: going to dust off old LPs and hook some sort of turntables to MODEL1 as apparently the preamps are HUGE :slight_smile:

2 Likes