Model 1 DJ/Studio mixer

Cool! I guess most people here are more interested in it as a live performance mixer with synths and drum machines than for mixing records.

1 Like

Going to be using it for all that :slight_smile:

https://solidstatelogic.com/studio/SiX

Like @dtr said, this one. Though it’s probably less suited for synth heads on closer look as the stereo ins don’t have eq. Hence my research. Model 1 looks like a wet dream with per channel distortion and eq, plus all the other things

Truth indeed is in the pudding :slight_smile:

I use the Allen and Heath Xone 92 and treat Octatrack, Digitakt, Roland TR8, JU06 or etc etc etc etc etc all as decks to be morphed together, and then use the 2 aux send returns with guitar pedals for some seriously fun performance sessions, but I defiantly think the Model 1 would be a good upgrade on this setup but only FOR THE SUPER RICH!!!

For the money I would buy the Xone DB:4… basically HALF the price of the model 1… In fact you could buy 2x Xone DB:4’s which would give you 8 channels for the same price and you get the really good onboard FX options…

Can’t understand why the model 1 is so expensive… But maybe it’s not targeted at me…

@PATA VERY expensive indeed.

I had a DB4 prior to the M1 but had to return it due to unstable driver (bit accurate one, not the Core audio one) leading to digital clipping and crashes. 8 months back and forth with support… To no avail.
I loved it (looper on each track, FX absolutely amazing per track) and was upset to let it go back. But It is actually the DB4 EQ (the HPF/Res/LPF one) that got me into eyeing the M1 :slight_smile:

Yes I know It was very expensive, and you are not the first one to mention it (clearly by the way) but we only live once don’t we :wink:

2 Likes

Ha yeah, that’s a very good point actually, the issues you had with the DB:4 seem to be a common occurrence across most digital DJ mixers, similar to the pioneer mixers, they have headroom overload problems which happen as a result of introducing analogue to digital converters into the mix and all the channels fighting for supremacy… It’s easy to clip the master… When you drive a digital mixer it will distort, but when you drive the Xone 92 it saturates beautifully… The Allen and Heath totally analogue mixers just sound incredible when your pushing everything to the extreme, it’s like driving a sports car REALLY FAST…! Also plays very well with elektron gear which acts in a simailar way due to the analogue signal paths…

But I would be EXTREMELY jealous if you’d buy the model 1… hopefully it comes down in price sometime in the next couple of years when Richie’s cashed in his pension…! :+1::+1:

2 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:
Not sure he is going to (need to) cash a pension…
Actually I had big issues with the drivers, in the end It was something that had to do with hexa code written in the driver…

2 Likes

Ha, officially jealous… And rocking the Volcas… Nice one… here’s mine…

1 Like

Honestly I could maybe even imagine wiggling one with fewer channels, at a more reachable price. :face_with_monocle:

@Lauli
6 channels come in very handy.
I often use ch5/6 as return effects, that way I can create some nice feedback with my guitar pedals (Boss DD7 has got a very nice modulating delay).

Also come in handy with 3/4 tracks in Traktor, 1/2 tracks Maschine and another that inputs another analog mixer (Mackie VLZ 1402) where my other analog gear is connected :slight_smile:

Talking about pedals, I just got myself a Zoom MS70-CDR. I believe not one of the favorites for guitar players but for my synths, it sounds great. Can chain up to 6 effects in a raw.

Now awaiting for my DT :wink:

@PATA
How are these Onyx USB cables?

Yes I like my FX returns on regular channels so I can route them to other FX. Ideally I’d have 3 stereo sends and returns: #1 AH, #2 Eventide Space, #3 H9 (H9 ordered yesterday :))

On my Mackie mixer I use 2 stereo busses as sends and have to compromise with mono for the 3rd send. All come back on regular channels for routing to each other. Love that setup.

With a Model1 I wouldn’t be able to put all my instruments plus 3 FX returns on full channels, but I could live with 1 or 2 FX on return channels.

1 Like

M1 has got 3fx returns + 6 channels :wink:

3 sends but 2 returns, no?

2 regular aux sends + Cue B that can act as a third one if using tascam D-Sub to Connect :wink:
Since I don’t have anybody at home to play b2b, I do use it as a third aux sends :wink:

I got that (2+1 aux sends) and that’s how I’d use it too, but it still only has 2 return channels, right?

Indeed 2 return channels :slight_smile:

Resurrecting the thread… do you still own it?

I used to own the DB4 and loved it… I don’t DJ anymore so thinking its overkill for synths.

Does anybody know where i can buy the nice filter knobs?