MNM freeze

Hi,
I’m in panic…
Tonight after a jam I left my mnm and md on for a couple of hours and when i came back, mnm didn’t respond to any input.
I tried a reboot (without midi cables) and the screen remains as in the pic attached, also after a soft reset. Ive tried test mode too and there all seems ok.

This happened momentarily another time since I’ve updated to last OS, should I try to do a factory reset (losing all patterns)? Or can I downgrade the OS, or maybe is an HW thing?

Help me
thanks

Doubt it has anything to go with the OS as that’s the current one & I’m using it with no issues as are probably most people on here.
You could try re installing that version but doubt it’ll have an affect. That screen looks like it’s hanging during boot sequence.
Factory reset will hopefully sort it, I’m guessing by your apprehension you’re not backed up?
Screen isn’t showing any unusual characters which has been my experience when things have gone badly wrong in the past so fingers crossed a reset fixes it & you don’t have to send it back to HQ.
Good luck

I’ve tried to do a factory reset, but mnm still hangs up during boot.

Today i will try do reupload the last OS, fingers corssed

Are there other things to try before contact Elektron?

UPDATE
After several reboots, mnm booted succesfully but freezed again after few seconds.
I’ve also tried to reupload last OS, but made no difference.

Yeah it’s not the OS! I’d file a report with Elektron ASAP & see what they say.

My monies on component failure tbh

Incidently has it been moved about a lot or dropped? Long shot but it could be a loose ribbon, worth a look inside if it’s out of warranty.

Another thought depending on its age is that the lithium battery may need replacing?

Anyone on here know what the symptoms are for that???

1 Like

thanks bluewolfse7en for the interest and advices,

Never moved it from my desk in more than a year, i bought i second hand in late 2012 but it’s a 2010 unit with + drive.
I’ve already contacted elektron support, probably I have to send in it for repair. Do you know how can expensive the repair could be in best/worst case scenario?

It won’t be the battery on a machine that age, not unless it’s faulty anyway.
I sent my MD back a few years ago & it cost me €175 inc vat & shipping.
It’ll all depend on components I guess. Labour is charged by the 1/2 hour I believe but they seem to get an awful lot done in that time.

Best of luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

lohacker,
Any status update?
I am experiencing the same exact issue with my MNM it just started tonight and I’ve tried all the same things you have and have had no luck. I was about to make a post for my issue but it seems like what people have suggested are the only options.
I contacted Elektron a few hours ago and I’m hoping it’s something that can be fixed without sending it away or paying a lot for repairs. I can’t afford to put any money into it right now never mind a replacement :confused:
I’m freaking out about it because I’m in the middle of a job and was using the MD and MNM heavily!
And on top of that I love the Elektron boxes and own all of them except the OT (Which is on its way) but these things are indispensable and I planned on owning and enjoying them for the rest of my life, So this really fucking sucks!

i would have a look inside; could be a loose cable or it could be that the MM you bought was already old enough an you’ll need to replace the battery.
either way, i would give it a go before sending it back to the HQ

1 Like

is battery installation fairly straight forward and easy to do?
i’m asking in case i ever need to do it

Hi guys,
sorry for late reply, I was a bit busy these days, anyway I decided to sent my MNM back at HQ for repair, it needed a CPU board replacement and now it’s on its way back home :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just wanted to give a little update to this.
I’ve been enjoying my RYTM and A4 so much I haven’t turned on my MnM in a while. Last night I wanted to have a go. I turned it on as normal, and then it froze after about 40 secs.
Turned it on again and it froze at the loading page. Turned if on again and it froze at a different point in the loading page. I did this a bunch of times in maybe one in 10 times it made it to the regular play screen but then froze shortly after

Today I opened up my MnM to see if there were any loose cables or something simple like that. Nope.

Put it all back together and now it loads OK (every time), but feezes after about 40 secs.

:frowning:

EDIT: I just got a “battery low” notice. I’ll change that battery (it’s a simple slip-out battery) and report back! I don’t feel like opening it up again today, but will soon.

1 Like

Well, I ended up changing the battery today.

After doing that, I gave it a reboot and it loaded fine. It played for a few mins (maybe 5?) and then it froze.

Then, I gave it a reboot and hit play. It played for an hr and never locked up.

Rebooted again. Loaded fine. Hit play. Played for 2 hrs. No lock ups.

Maybe it was a battery issue? I’ll report back if it starts to freeze again.

1 Like

I have a MK II UW+
It was held by a tab, not soldered.

No freezing issues anymore… not sure if related, but all is well now.

1 Like

HQ said that this can be caused by some oxidation on the cabling and that you can use oil-free dry cleaning spray to remove this from the cable connectors and sockets.

I must have inadvertently done this when moving and putting the sockets on/off and basting unit with air.

HQ: “If you are comfortable with disassembling the unit, like you must have done to change the battery, we recommend that you use a dry oil-free cleaning spray to remove oxide from the two connectors and sockets of the internal cabling.”

1 Like

So, this has been happening to my SFX-60+Mk2 again.
I opened it up to use the cleaning spray again, and now it won’t boot.
Opened a ticket. Pretty bummed :frowning:

Opened a ticket. Pretty bummed :([/quote]
That really sucks. Do you think the spray caused additional issues?

Opened a ticket. Pretty bummed :([/quote]
That really sucks. Do you think the spray caused additional issues?[/quote]
Hard to say. It remedied the issue and without any symptoms for months following. Now the suggested remedy just isn’t working.

I have no freezing problem of these type.
but today , my monomachine also freeze when I was keeping switching between SONG and PATTERN mode to make movement in my music,

( because I recently realize that the monomachien keeps the song setting ( with offset setting, mutes etc … ) when you switch back into pattern mode , that’s awesome. )

But it freeze only one time , I don’t know why ; I have repeat the same and nothing happen.
really stange.

Any update on your situation? I am experiencing the same problem with a freezing Monomachine. I also notice the machine is nearly always instant to freeze when I insert/remove cords from the headphone and output jacks. It seems like I could be experiencing this oxidation issue you mentioned, but I’m worried about bricking the synth if I do a DIY spray job.