MKSREC 1 - 12-bit sampling drum machine from puesa

not sure if this has been posted before but this has been in development for a few years. A more faithful clone plus mods.

The sampler is still under development and now it is at the beta testing stage. This means that, if all goes well, it will most likely become available early next year, in limited quantity as for a period of time it is assembled by myself.

The sampler has the following features:

• Audio path as the OG, including using the same DACs - 7541/7524.

• 8 channels and 16 voice polyphony (16+1 choke groups).

• 64 sample slots and total 832 seconds sample time (up to 13 seconds per pad).

• 2 dynamic analogue filters (SSI 2144) with limited cutoff and resonance controls and 4 static analogue low-pass filters.

• Up to 2 digital multimode filters per sample, one with AHDSR envelope.

• Up to 2 gain envelopes per sample (OG and AHDSR). AHDSR envelope can be used together with tuning.

• Relative pitch function (it’s possible to fine tune the sample pitch after sampling).

• Drive function with soft clipping.

• Sample accurate sample trigger delay (to dial in (im)perfect groove).

• 8th & 16th based swing.

• Event based channel mute and solo.

• Setup functions can be used during playback.

• MIDI.

• SD card storage.

• Load .wav files.

• Load and play OG projects.

• Balanced outputs.

• All metal enclosure.

and more…

Dimensions of the sampler are:

W: ~43 cm, D: ~30 cm, Max H (incl. pots): ~14 cm.

Weighs just under 7 kg.

The sampler is intended to be used with a mixer, so there is no headphone output and no sample input monitoring.

Many people ask about the pricing. Unfortunately I can’t reveal it until the sampler becomes available, so please be patient. That said, the sampler will definitely cost more than £1000 but less than £4000.

13 Likes

Another clone for nostalgic ppl.
Why not it’s always cheaper than an SP1200 but it’s not an SP1200.

I’m a nostalgic ppl.

Don’t have the kind of financial leeway to play this particular game and 1000 to 4000 is a pretty big window (like when the plumber says he’ll be by between 7 am and 8 pm).

Still though, I can’t lie, I do like it crunchy.

15 Likes

Totally down for this, has looked a solid project since inception BUT as you say the eventual price will be everything. £2000 and I’m in, above that and probably not.

1 Like

Monday through Wednesday!

5 Likes

Been following the development of this on Gearspace. It’s really impressive for a one-man job, bit like M8 for sampler connoisseurs. Will be way out of my price bracket but still fun to watch through the window like a little street urchin.

Im down for one if he can get it below £2K. Thats about half the Rossum i think but slightly more than the SP2400.

Like straight out of a Dickens novel :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Please sir, can I have some more sample memory?”

8 Likes

Indeed. I wonder why this would be preferred to the s2400…… I get the old school authentic thing, but I don’t know. Will be interesting to see the price.

I prefer this to the S2400 and actually to the OG as well. Real 12-bit converters, improvements where they make sense, and a more compact footprint.

5 Likes

I am in for one unit. Please tell me how to get in touch for a down payment or a deposit!

I think given that there’s a development thread on the gearspace website

you can probably get in touch with the creator (who I assume will also be the primary sales associate) through that website. I’m not sure any link to a waiting list or anything has ever been posted here and I’m not aware of this being a kickstarter campaign so that’s likely your best bet.

Aside from the Gearspace thread, they also have a website with a newsletter signup.

https://www.mksrec.com/

Thanks man. If you have the gearspace thread as well, that would be awesome.

Thread is called ‘My SP1200 Clone’.

https://gearspace.com

I asked on the GS forum and quickly got shot down by the usual GS Karens for asking…er…questions

But…I wonder if sample preview would be implemented on this? Having owned the Rossum - this would be an invaluable addition. I get that sample preview was never needed on the OG units with their super limited floppy disks…But we’re now dealing with SD cards etc…Needed.

5 Likes

yeh i visit GS from time to time but dont take part.
maybe you can ask urb whos a beta tester to relay the message

5 Likes

Logged in just to like your comment calling them GS Karens.

4 Likes
4 Likes