Mixing on OT vs in the DAW

Hi all

I use my Octatrack a lot as a drum machine routed into Ableton Live. Usually I mix my drums on the Octatrack, route the audio to Ableton Live, and do some finishing compression and a little reverb on the high end perhaps.

All you other people – do you mix directly on the OT, or do you record each track to your DAW, before treating it further?

• Alex

No computer involved in my setup. A4 and MD into OT and record its main output with a fieldrecorder (sony pcm-m10) per line-in.

Mixing and leveling with ears only.

But I make no professionel music, at first I do music for my soul.

main out into my daw then some kind of saturation or compression
but i’m going to get some more cables and experiment with recording each track to a separate track especially since i’m using the OT as a mixer too

Hey Alex,

For me it really depends on what I am working on actually. Jamsessions are recorded as two track straight into Ableton through Ozone5.
So mixing is done in the OT only because I find its internal summing pretty good!

But if I am working on a project I always record each track seperatly, in case I have to share the multitrack or I hand it over to a dedicated mixing/mastering engineer.

Though I wish the OT would have more outputs as recording multiple tracks can be time consuming sometimes…

Cheerio,
C.

No computer. Just the octa, some synths and pedals with analogue mixer, compression and EQ. I also rarely record something. Just foolin’ around

No computer here only for recording the stereo out when I wanna make a youtube video (which is all I do these days).

Alright. I got two songs going right now in Ableton Live, and I am running the drums from samples on the OT. I have mixed it on the OT – I was just wondering if it was better recording the raw sound into Ableton, and then put reverb, compression etc. on the sound afterwards…

Speaking of mixing, how’s the EQ on the OT? Crappy? Useable? Great?

Useable for cutting unwanted freqs and effects. Not great.