MIDI to trigger samples with Alesis Trigger I O

Hi, I’m trying to trigger samples with the ALESIS TRIGGER I O module. Until now I havent had success, thats why I’m asking here: what are the basics to trigger samples or track trigs? Do I have to make changes within the OT?

I managed to start the sequencer, sending A# 34 to Ch 11. But thats all for now. I have a piezo attached to the Alesis. Any help or link to an existing thread would be great.

For example I do want to trigger the sample located in T1. Or trigger a sample in the sample slot list. thanks!

I dont know what your exact set up should be but all your answers should be in the Octatracks midi section, regarding what note numbers do what for example. You may have to set the trigger IO to the right note numbers. I have an alesis drum kit (Dm5) that alowed me to do this.

1 Like

thanks, maybe we can do this step by step.

as I mentioned, I managed to start the sequence with sending A# 34 to CH 11.
I do have the manual in front of me, reading this section

Could you propose what MIDI note I have to send to trigger T1?
I dont understand the meaning of #3 (23-35) in the list.

thanks a lot!

Ok tittle sorry : #3 is for track free.
You have to choose #4, from note 36
You can use #7 #8 #9 for chromatic stuff

You can also use channels 1-8 with #4 I think.

well ok – first success: sending to MIDI CH 4 the note C3 36, T1 starts to play. great!

what I dont understand:
– what does the # stand for, Channel?
– why do I have to send to CH 4, when in my OT MIDI settings T1 is showing CH1?

It’s my first time using MIDI, thanks for all your help.

Octave = # I think
Unusual but with Ot notes are directly triggering samples, independantly from channels.
So it works with the 8 audio channels and auto channel.

ok – next question is about MIDI CC, as I want to change parameter settings. Is here a user with an Alesis Trigger I O, willing to help out? thanks a lot!

I have one ! :wink:
Not plugged. I can check the manual later.

Edit : @nui Checked
Apparently you won’t be able to control much.
Only cc4 and cc 64 sent, with few values.
What would you like to do ?

Sounds like your getting the hang of it :thumbsup:
Now you should try “plays free” mode to play each tracks sequence with #3 (24-35) Track Trigs. Its a little tricky to set up but easy once you understand it.

Yep. Track Trigs for Plays Free can be much more interesting than Sample Trigs !
Or both…

And midi clips.

Midi Plays Free that would control audio Plays Free…:loopy:

Ok now your making my brain hurt. :hourglass_flowing_sand:

thanks for that!

in best case (thats what i bought the ATio for) I wanted to trigger samples (check) while also being able to change parameters of the sample itself. With having 10 trigger-ins, I thought about using five of them to trigger samples as well as five of them to change the effect-parameters.

the setup is for an experimental-type of live-setting.

Could you recommend another piece of hardware that transfers trigger (piezo and switch) to midi note & CC?

This means that this is the third octave (of 12 notes) from the bottom of the set of MIDI notes. “(24-35)” indicates the numbers of the MIDI Note messages in the third octave. if you look at the next table on the same page in the manual, you will see that the first eight notes of the octave only are used for track trigs and sample trigs.

Note number 36 will actually trig the sample that is assigned to Track 1, not the whole Track.

“#” stands for “number”.

What MIDI channel numbers have you set for all your other tracks?

I use Event Processor Plus for many things including midi notes to CC mapping.
You can map velocity to a CC value too.
You can set up to 32 events, so with one trigger you can control several values.

I didnt change the settings. When i open the MIDI menu, there is TR1: Ch1, TR2: Ch2, and so on…
Do I have to prepare the settings?

But triggering worked well, now I have to check how to send CCs!

Sounds great!

So you place the Event Processor Plus in between the ATio and the OT?
Can you give an example how to setup an event, or maybe send a screenshot (or how do you link trig to event?) thanks

Yes you place it between it is midi powered.

Here is an example : on note C4, velocity is mapped to the crossfader value (CC48) :thup:
You can set incoming and outgoing ranges, reverse values.
You can give me examples of what you’d like to control.

Well, that seems pretty much like the kind of hardware piece I’m looking for.

For example: I’ve placed different piezos and want to trigger them (like an e-drum module). In case it is triggered I want to trigger a sample as well as change parameters of a track, lets say the feedback of a delay. That seems very easy with the screenshot you posted.

So as I understand the Event Processor Plus, I can choose whether I want to map 32 events (CCs) to one piezo, or lets say, 1 piezo is mapped to 3 events (as I have 10 inputs on ATio).

And talking about this scenario, how is the value changing? I guess when I trigger a piezo, there is only value A and (when triggered) value B. Or is it possible to map the intensity of the trigger to the output-value – that would be perfect!?

And before buying the Event Processor Plus, I have to ask: isn’t there another way to trigger piezos/switches with the ability to send MIDI notes or MIDI CC – I mean, another kind of hardware within one box?

Thank you very much, I have the feeling to come closer to what I want to do.