Midi thru to cycles

Heya gang, hoping I can get a bit of clarity regarding midi routing and setup of a small setup I want to build, I’ve ordered a cycles to pair up with my samples and a launchkey mini mk3 so have a compact setup fo just messing with in the lounge when the mood strikes, what I have planned in my head is to have samples as master clock, cycles slaved. If I hook the launchkey up to samples will I be able to use the thru functionality to also control cycles independently if I set the cycles tracks up on different channels whilst still pumping clock and program change from samples? Sorry if it’s been gone over anywhere else, I did try searching but didn’t find a definitive answer…

Also if it needs some other piece of kit to achieve that I’m totally open to suggestions :vulcan_salute:

Cheers

Don’t forget you need a small mixer for the audio, you’ve probably already thought about this though.

Some kind of iOS device makes a good partner for the M:S too, audio and midi handled over one usb lead and the M:S acts as audio host. Also it’s a neat way to make recordings.

Have fun exploring!

Edit: regarding midi, have a look at the autochannel settings.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve already got a small summing mixer and an iPhone for impromptu stuff, most o the time I’ll pipe it into my Allen and heath table if I want to finish up stuff in ableton…

You’ll have a problem doing all three of

• using the keyboard to play the samples
  • using the keyboard to play the cycles (which require midi thru)
  • using the samples to send clock and transport to cycle (which requires midi out)

There is a feature introduced in the last firmware that allows you to work around this, but it’s not as slick as you might expect. I will see if I can find details.

EDIT: Here you go (you need to set the midi option to OUT not THRU):

1 Like

Ah nice one, I must have missed that post, kind of disappointed that’s it’s not as easy as I thought it would be but I’ll figure something out, there always a workaround…:vulcan_salute:

So I’ve been using the m:s and m:c in the configuration I mentioned in the above posts and yeah I’m a bit frustrated with the whole midi thru and sync situation, I’m hoping some of you midi bods might weigh in on wether what I have planned as a work round might be a goer before I drop any more money on stuff that won’t work, basically I’m wondering if a 5 way merger could be a solution to being able to play both boxes from the launchkey?

What I have in mind is launchkey connected to in port one (clock disabled), m:s to input 2 with sync in disabled and sync out enabled as Well as note in enabled on the standard channels, then back in from merger to ms, and into m:c with sync in enabled and note in enabled on channels 7 to 12? Does that sound feasible without creating a feedback loop? Or am I just clutching at straws?

So yay, I’ve found a way to do exactly what I wanted without buying anymore hardware and its very simple to set up… you can use an iPhone with a camera kit and the AUM app to route midi from the launch key in over usb and have full control over both the samples and cycles when using them in tandem…

1 Like