M:S and MIDI out/thru implementation

Hi everyone!

So, yesterday I tried to set up my first DAWless setup and tried to connect everything with MIDI cables.

I have a MIDI controller (Alesis VI49), M:S, Skulpt SE synth, Microfreak and Model D.

I connected them in a daisy chain style as follows:

VI49 -> M:S -> Skulpt -> Microfreak -> Model D.

Midi channels setup:

M:S tracks T1-T6 on channels 1-6
Model D channel 11
Skulpt channel 12
Microfreak channel 13

I have configured the VI49 pads to send MIDI notes on channels 1-6 and the keyboard to send notes on one of the synths channels (11, 12 or 13).

I want to use my VI49 controller to be able to play notes live on all of my synths and play samples on the M:S using the VI49 pads. I also want to use M:S sequencer to sequence and control my Model D.

What I’m actually trying to accomplish is to be able to play a sequence on the M:S for the Model D and at the same time play notes on my other synths with the VI49.

The problem is that it looks like the M:S can’t send MIDI from its internal sequencer and at the same time pass MIDI signal incoming on its MIDI input to its MIDI out. So in other words it can’t act as a MIDI thru device and at the same time send it’s own MIDI signal.

If this is the case, what do you recommend in order to achieve my idea. Is it possible to use a MIDI splitter box and then a MIDI merger? Like this:

VI49 -> MIDI splitter -> Then one output to M:S and other output to one of the inputs on the MIDI merger. And at the same time M:S MIDI out to other input on the MIDI merger and MIDI merger output to the rest of my synths. M:S would be configured to MIDI out and not MIDI thru.

Would that work? Or there are an easier way?

Thanks a lot!

Not strictly true. There are circumstances where you can get a pass thru. With the new 1.13 firmware:

Tracks set to MOUT now also forwards the incoming note data on the AUTO channel from external MIDI controllers to the MIDI OUT port for control of an external device.

Not tried it myself, but I think that was a copy-paste from the firmware announcement. Sounds like you might need to sacrifice one track to do it though ?

@bibenu thanks for your reply! However I do not understand what means “ incoming note data on the AUTO channel from external MIDI controllers”. Exactly what means “AUTO channel”? I have configured my MIDI controller to send notes on a certain channel. Should I change that?

From your reply I understand that the track on the M:S which will forward the incoming MIDI data should not have any sequence? That is why you say I will have to sacrifice that track?

The auto channel on the M:S and M:C is by default channel 10 and it will play the currently selected track. Reading the release notes for firmware 1.13, any track which has MOUT set (track menu) will also send that incoming auto channel midi data through the midi out port.

It seems of limited use to me, but it’s possible you might find a use for it in your setup. Otherwise I think you are looking at additional hardware, unless there’s someone who knows all your devices well and can offer another solution.

EDIT: Example config:

Keyboard sends notes on midi channel 10. M:C or M:S has track 4 selected (T4 lit) and Track 4 has MOut set on the track menu, and in the config menu, the out channel for T4 set set to channel 11 (my external synth. As a result, my keyboard plays the external synth on channel 11, but also any sequence on track 4 also will send on channel 11 and play the same synth, unless the sequence is muted. So depending on what you want, in this scenario, track 4 may serve only as a route to trigger the synth, hence my remark about sacrificing a track.

Ok I think I got the idea, but then it seems for me that in this case I can’t switch between different MIDI channels with my controller to send MIDI notes to different synths without changing the MIDI out channel of the T4 (or other track with AUTO setting). Correct?

I think that’s right, yes. Might work if you had only one synth on the midi out, but it doesn’t look like a solution for 3 synths on 3 different channels.

@bibenu, ok! Got it! Do you think using a MIDI splitter and a MIDI merge box would could work?

MIDI splitter to split the MIDI signal from the controller into two; send one to M:S to control the sample tracks and then from the M:S to the MIDI merger along with the second output of the splitter (original MIDI signal from the controller) to merge them and send to all synths?

I was thinking about using this:

http://midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

Just wondering if it will work if I connect my controller to one of the MIDI inputs of this merger and then connect one of its outputs to M:S and the output from M:S back to the merger to its second input. The second output of the merger to synths.

Sorry, can’t offer advice on best solution there … running a very small setup here.