MIDI Sequencing: OT vs DT vs Pyramid/Cirklon/Etc

At the moment separately. But that is only due to the fact I’m learning both. Don’t want to confuse myself anymore! My plan is to sequence everything via squarp. Then sample the instruments I can’t bring live on the octa. Then rtym heat and external fx. The octa excels at sampling and manipulating. But it doesn’t comes close to what the squarp can do sequencing. But that’s why I have both!

1 Like

Partly, why I am hesitating is that I am still learning and the time … the price is reasonablely tempting ( I still have a couple of gears I have to sell, and adding seems gluttonous)

A slaved sequencer can play / control everything. If you want to sample with OT I’d definitely use OT as master clock; you can sequence everything anyway with Pyramid if you wish, but if OT is not master clock, its recordings will have wrong tempos (tempi), even if it can be slight differences. With OT master, loops are perfect (tempo = an exact number of samples, if you don’t use that F…fade out FOUT).

2 Likes

hmmm didnt know that…so, midi out to pyramid midi In and midi Out to splitter…Tempo goes out from OT or Pyramid?

Useful info ty!

1 Like

If midi out to Pyramid is from OT, and if midi out to splitter goes back to OT : you have the choice.

For accurate recordings, OT master. Easy to check recording length differences, depending on tempo.

3 Likes

yes, the sequenced audio will go to audio in OT

Thank you for sharing that option…it’s encouraging me to consider Squarp Instruments Pyramid

1 Like

If the pyramid is slaved to the OT where is the Midi out going to the splitter coming from? Pyramid?

It can be
OT Out (Master clock/transport) > Pyramid In
Pyramid Out > Splitter

I don’t know if Pyramid can send the clock it receives to midi out.

2 Likes

gotcha. Thank you.:pray:

Didn´t read te whole thread but recommendations for anyone that looks for a good sequencer (amongst other functons): Synthstrom Deluge.

You probably should have read the thread.

4 Likes

So what if someone else has already included Deluge in the thread, you can see my post as a +1 to that post instead of commenting that don´t add substance to the thread. At least mine did, i added my “vote” to deluge! :wink:
Happy holidays and i hope you all have a great new years eve!

Edit: alspacka, i agree to what you wrote, too, since that my usual standpoint when it´s a short thread. So bad, bad me! slap on the hand Will be better next year, promise!

1 Like

I had Pyramid, DT, OT, A4. I already sold my Pyramid, DT, OT. (After the A4 midi update) I am finding the A4 to be the best melodic sequencer for my needs. (I also have a Rytm which is sequencing itself)

But in the end workflow is very personal.

But A4 and AR have very basic midi sequencing…

Maybe but it’s well thought-out and hands-on?

Yes, very simple, but I like the midi sequencing of DN and DT much more

I see! What I missed from the DT but have in A4:

• good, well thought-out arpeggiator (unfortunately, does not work with external midi :frowning: But, it works with cv out! So my needs are more or less covered).
  • Major/minor scales (although I would be happier if I had more “exotic” scales)
  • Transposing multiple tracks simultanously (I can even sequence the latter via a Launchpad e.g.).
    • I missed this from the OT as well. With Song mode it can be made to work but too much hassle.
    • With the Pyramid this did not work very well with already-held notes and I have had strange results - there was a setting to postpone transposing to 1 or half bar etc… intervals, kinda worked then but it killed the instant nature of transposing.

And these three are working in tandem with the A4. (when using arp and/or transpose, it stays in musical scale)
Not perfect as pointed out, but very practical.

I read the topic, thought I’d add another option: the NDLR.

I currently have the octatrack and NDLR as sequencers.
The octatrack is the master and sends clock to the NDLR.
Octatrack is great for monophonic sequences (bass/leads), arpeggiators, LFO’s

However I believe the octatrack is not so good for polyphonic/chord sequences, because of the 4 note maximum, and no overlapping notes.

Octatrack can control/sequence the NDLR (via cc)
NDLR is good for polyphonic chords (but also arpeggiators and bass).

I am also curious about the pyramid, i think octatrack + pyramid would also be a good combination indeed. Or maybe the deluge. But hey, lets not overcomplicate things ;-).