MIDI Sequencing: OT vs DT vs Pyramid/Cirklon/Etc

Good point. That’s another tick in the OT column. I only plan to sequence two external HW synths so I might be able to get away with just the OT paired with the A4/AR.

1 Like

Don’t forget the pioneer squid. Its got some cool tricks I haven’t seen anywhere else. I have an OT, MPC live and an Akai force and still I’m just in awe with some of the stuff the squid can do (namely the rhytmic modulations via fader & LFO). It doesnt have a song mode but I bet its killer for playing live.

It very much boils down to what you’re looking for in a sequencer. Pyramid and Circlon are probably the closest things that compare to using a DAW for MIDI sequencing, but other options offer great things and workflows if programming patterns and playing them live is more the kind of thing you’re looking for.

TL;DR cant recommend any specific one right now. Tell us what you are looking for in a MIDI sequencer?

2 Likes

I always wanted to transfer Midi files from Ableton to a hardware sequencer. The pyramid will do that? Can the OT do that too?

It’s easy to import and export MIDI files (notes and CC automation) because Pyramid store these files as standard *.mid data (type 0 MIDI file: single track). All popular DAWs can play and edit MIDI files.

You can import or export from short patterns up to long linear tracks. For example, you can drag-and-drop a *.mid file from the SD card project directory to your favorite software sequencer (e.g. Ableton) and play & edit this pattern on the DAW:

1 Like

Actually, the Cirklon isn’t anything like a DAW in terms of midi sequencing and I kinda think that’s part of its appeal.

Ok thanks. So the Pyramid is able to import standard .mid files. Can that be done via USB or SD card?

Can the OT read .mid files too?

The manuel says SD Card :wink:
Octatrack cant import Midi Files.

1 Like

I never would’ve guessed Pioneer would create a sequencer like this but I’ll explore it. Def looks interesting.

I’m using sequencers for primarily two reasons: 1. As a form of artistic/stylistic constraint and 2. It suits my genre of music (clean, mechanical, robotic electronic music… think Kraftwerk on steroids). After years of working in Ableton I’ve found that there are just too many options for me to stay focused on a consistent style/sound. You want 200 tracks containing 50 different VSTs and 100 FX plugins?! Sure, go for it! :wink:

I don’t do much linear sequencing outside of perhaps one or two melodies per song and that can be done in Ableton at the end of the process if necessary. At this point my needs are only for studio production so live is not a big consideration for me. Though I could see sampling vocals and melodies and playing them live on the OT which is an added bonus.

The Cirklon seems to be the best case for my needs but not enough for me to pay the insane second-hand prices to avoid the wait. I feel like that only leaves the Pyramid and OT working together. Thoughts?

Ahh okay. Well, in that case I think the OT MIDI sequencer might be quite alot your cup of tea, its a great step sequencer and the LFOs can be combined with the arpeggiator and scale controls in many ways. If you do not need to send program change messages alot during your songs, the OT is a great sequencer.

The polymetry is awesome, especially when combined with conditional trigs, and “plays free” function cn be abused to unlink all the tracks from each other, allowing “clip matrix” style of sequencing like on Akai force and ableton, as opposed to being slaved to 1-pattern-for-all-tracks style that is usually the norm in most step sequencers (squid has this too though)

1 Like

ok, I stand corrected. Honestly I know very little about the circlon, but I’ve always had a feeling its very feature-packed, guess that is the reason why it resembles a DAW MIDI sequencer in my mind (DAW in this context meaning more Cubase/AtariST than modern logic/ableton/etc)

Check Deluge. If you use it only for midi sequencing it’s worth the price. And sampler, synth in a compact battery powered package to take with you anywhere. It’s a daw in a box: limitless sequence lengths and track amounts, polyrhythms, triplets, main arranger mode. Intuitive as hell. Had Pyramid and Deluge and using Pyramid after Deluge is a pain.

1 Like

Can the Deluge import .mid files?

Pyramid = midi files, euclidean mode, 2 x 16 midi channels, more tracks, more steps, limitation on sequence are hard to reach and the midi fx are also nice. Is the Dawless brain…

does anyone knows if that is with the Squarp Hermod also possible to load midifiles? There nothing in the RTFM about it.

I’m aware of the Deluge but hadn’t paid it much attention thinking it was more about the internal synth. But after watching some videos it’s looking extremely impressive, particularly the song mode. Also the fact it’s battery powered and portable make it a good composition device on the move.

Thanks for the tip!

I got one from the very first backer batch and it’s my last piece to leave the studio. I’m working fully dawless and it’s so convenient to sequence external synths with it. I’m also doing eurorack and when you compare Deluges features and price with any eurorack sequencers, it’s a steal.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, there is a fan made wireless flashair browser based app with which you can import/export midi files. It edits the deluge sd card files directly.

I am having a slight dilemma. I camcacross Squarp Instruments Pyramid at an affordable price, and I have an Octatrack I am still learning ( currently sequencing external gears) still trying to figure out where it belongs in the set-up.

Should I sell the Octa and get Squarp Instruments Pyramid or slave the Octa to Squarp Instruments Pyramid and use it for sampling and mixing etc…I also have Live.

If you have both sequencers:
How are you using it?

Thank you

Hi , I have both. I haven’t done it yet however I plan to slave the octa to the pyramid. It then becomes the best of both worlds! :slight_smile:

1 Like

how are you using them?