Midi out doesn't work

Hi :slight_smile:

first i’am not trying to sequence external hardware with midi out !

I’am just trying to control my dsi tetra with the keyboard and the joystick, and to send clock to my analog rytm.
But it doesn’t work… it seems that i’ve tried everything, i went to the global midi menu, i’ve pushed the midi ext button, changed the channel ect…

Does someone had the same issue ?
My analog keys is a second hand but it is in perfect condition !
everything works fine, the midi in is working fine, i can clock it with the analog rytm but not the opposit.

Thanks

No midi out. Clock only.
With A4 you can only sequence external gear via CV.

Rytm, no external sequencing at all.
Octatrack up to 8 tracks midi.
Machinedrum up to 16 tracks midi.
Monomachine, not sure.

Sorry for the bad news. You’re not the first to make this error.

Thanks for your answer !
But i know that rytm and analog keys can’t sequence with midi out.
Îam just trying to use my analog keys like a midi keyboard to play the dsi tetra.

I see what you’re saying. You want to use the Analog Keys as a master controller? I don’t have the keys, but is there maybe a button by the joystick that allows the keys to act as a controller?

There should be a button somewhere on the ak. that activates a midi-mode where you can do what you want… i have seen it in video’s…
dont know how you gotta set it up… but… without menu-diving… easy to use button to activate it…

1 Like

FUNCTION + GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG > KEYBOARD DST > INT + EXT
AND
OUTPUT CHANNEL = either track channel or Auto channel
Then just check the midi out auto or track channel is the same as the midi in on your tetra

1 Like

FUNCTION + GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG > KEYBOARD DST > INT + EXT
AND
OUTPUT CHANNEL = either track channel or Auto channel
Then just check the midi out auto or track channel is the same as the midi in on your tetra

[/quote]
Then, if you want to get freaky, explore multi mapping (if you want different notes on your AK keyboard to trigger different internal sounds or sounds on your tetra

Thank you i’ll try this when i go home :slight_smile:

Well, i don’t understand i follow the steps and it doesn’t work…
i’ve tried another keyboard to trig the tetra and it works… so it’s not the tetra.
And i’ve tried to send midi to my daw with the analog keys and nothing happens.
So it comes from the analog keys.

Do you think it’s possible that the midi out port is broken ?

Any ideas ;( ?

Let’s start from the beginning:

What MIDI cable connections have you made between your instruments?

What MIDI channel(s) have you set on the DSI Tetra?

What have you set for EXT MIDI CHANNEL in the AK’s External Keyboard Mode setup menu?

What settings have you made in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI SYNC menu on the AK?

What settings have you made in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG menu on the AK?

What settings have you made in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI SYNC menu on the AR?

What settings have you made in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG menu on the AR?

2 Likes

Setting KEYBOARD CFG to INT/EXT in the Midi Port menu is an important step. If this function is set to INT, then the keyboard will never send MIDI note data.

Settings to use under GLOBAL —> MIDI PORT CONFIG:

OUT PORT FUNCTIONALITY: MIDI

OUTPUT TO: MIDI+USB

PARAM OUTPUT: CC

ENCODER CFG: INT+EXT

KEYBOARD CFG: INT+EXT b[/b]

If connecting via standard MIDI cables, ensure that you’ve connected from the MIDI OUT port of the AK to the MIDI IN port of the Tetra. This is basic stuff, but something to check!

If you have connected to the Tetra via USB, turn Overbridge Mode off.

1 Like

What have you set for EXT MIDI CHANNEL in the AK’s External Keyboard Mode setup menu?

What settings have you made in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI SYNC menu on the AK?

What settings have you made in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG menu on the AK?

What settings have you made in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI SYNC menu on the AR?

What settings have you made in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG menu on the AR?[/quote]
Well,

My connection is one standart midi cable : midi out of the analog keys to midi in of the tetra

The Tetra is set on “All” channels

The midi sync of the AK is set to Clock send, Transport send and Prog ch send

The midi port config of the AK is :
Out port func : midi
Thru port func : midi
input from : Midi+usb
output to : Midi +usb
Output ch : auto ch
Param output : cc
Encoder dest : int+ext
Joystick dest : int+ext
Keyboard dest : int+ext
Mute dest : int+ext
receive note, recieve CC/nrpn live on tracj ch are on

I set the AK midi sync to Recieve clock and transport !
And the midi port config is the same on the AK and the AR

Thanks !

I’ve done all of it, and it still doesn’t work :frowning:
The AK and tetra are connect with midi : Midi out of AK to midi un of Tetra
Usb is set to usb-midi only.
Do you think it’s possible to control the tetra from the usb output of the AK ?

What settings have you made in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG menu on the AR?[/quote]
Well,

My connection is one standart midi cable : midi out of the analog keys to midi in of the tetra

Thanks ![/quote]

What MIDI cable connection have you made between the AK and the AR?

Well,

Thanks ![/quote]

What MIDI cable connection have you made between the AK and the AR?[/quote]
I’ve set it to AUTO

When i try to send clock (AK is the master clock) to the AR, i connect the midi out of the AK to the mini in of the AR

The settings you have tried sound OK. There is a possibility that the MIDI Out port is broken, especially if you cannot see any data from the AK when you connect it to your PC.

You cannot control the Tetra directly from the AK using the USB ports, because neither instrument is a USB host. You would need to use a USB host like a computer.

You should create a support ticket with Elektron.

One final thing to try: Create a new project! Then set up the MIDI settings as explained above, as a test.

New projects set the MIDI settings to default so you can start again. Whenever I have had an issue in the guts of my machine with something not working properly (usually it’s some kind of MIDI-related drama!), trying what I wanted to do in a new project has made it instantly work! I guess I must have changed a setting somewhere in my old project without realising it…

1 Like

yeah sounds like it’s broken…
This morning i’ve send a ticket to elektron, i’am waiting for their answer.
Do you know a usb host in the market that could help me play the tetra live with the AK using AK’s usb out to the usb host to midi in of the tetra ?
I don’t want a computer on stage… and i don’t want to buy another keyboard to trig the tetra live…

Thanks for your help !

Thats why there are 16 midi channels. Set up a midi chain and set the Tetra to a different channel .

Yeah tried it but didn’t change anything…