MIDI OUT Confusion

How do I get the sequenced notes from AK to MIDI OUT?

The MIDI notes from the keyboard seem to work fine when output to another synth, but for some reason the sequenced notes are not doing anything. I’ve read the manual of both synths and tried twiddling with the MIDI config parameters on the AK, but nothing. What am I missing?

What you are missing is that the AK does not include a MIDI sequencer.

From Elektron’s support page FAQ http://eu.elektron.se/support/?connection=analog-keys

[quote]Q: Does the Analog Keys have dedicated MIDI sequencer tracks?

A: No. Instead it features a dedicated CV/Gate track, controlling the two dual CV/Gate outputs. It is possible to use the Analog Keys as a MIDI controller though.

[/quote]

Dang, that’s a big thing to miss. I’m going to have to get more creative sequencing external gear. Thanks for linking the FAQ.

1 Like

Not a great design decision at all.

3 Likes

Adding midi out from the sequencer would completely change how I use the analog for the better. At the moment the analog’s pretty supplemental to my other gear but if it could sequence midi externally it could become the heart of my setup. Please Elektron add this feature - it would be loads more use than Overbridge.

2 Likes

I think they chose to include 2 tracks of CV sequencing instead of MIDI, due to the analogue nature of the A4. It’s very unlikely that Elektron will add any external midi sequencing capability in the future.

Why not, the sequencer’s not analog is it? The Tempest can do it and that’s an analog synth with a sequencer.

1 Like

Why not, the sequencer’s not analog is it? The Tempest can do it and that’s an analog synth with a sequencer.[/quote]
This does seem does seem crazy. It would be a much more versatile machine if it had midi out. My guess is that they wanted to target a certain price point. Adding midi might increase $100-$200.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine there would be much/any cost to add midi note sequencing as the sequencer can already send midi-clock and program change. Even the analog Korg Volcas can be easily modded to add external midi sequencing - if they can do it, I’m sure the Elektron could too.

It’s a clever ploy to get you to buy more equipment, really. There’s nothing more to it than that.

I think they will add MIDI out from SEQ, just not yet.

I’m gutted for you that you missed this. I hope you have some gear that will take CV/gate.

You should be able to use a DAW as a sort of MIDI bridge once OB is out I’d say? It may require some fiddling, but I can’t see why this won’t be possible.

yeah, I really wish it had midi sequencing too. CV works ok. sequencing a slim phatty and minitaur. What a pain in the ass it is though. midi is much more reliable and easier to set up…

Do you think? If so, that’s a terrible decision on Elektron’s part. Buying extra equipment (assuming you’ve got the money/room for it) doesn’t help with layering the analog with another synth unless you use a separate midi sequencer to sequence both and don’t use the internal one… and that would be daft.

Imagine how great it would be (especially in poly mode) to be able to layer the analog sounds with an external digital synth just using the Elektron sequencer?

You should be able to use a DAW as a sort of MIDI bridge once OB is out I’d say? It may require some fiddling, but I can’t see why this won’t be possible.

I rarely use a DAW and not sure my ancient macbook will even be able to run Overbridge when it arrives, but wouldn’t it be much simpler and less prone to go wrong (especially live) for Elektron to just add external midi note sequencing? It would turn a currently good peripheral synth/sequencer into a truly great one.

2 Likes

I think most of us would pay to get the A4 sequencer to send midi out too…

3 Likes

If you look at the range of Elektron instruments you’ll see that they are all slightly incomplete. Sometimes instruments start off lacking in features (like polyphony on the A4 or MIDI polyphony on the OT) and get them added further down the line.

It is most definitely a marketing ploy. I own an OT and I use it mainly as a MIDI hub with sample playback abilities. If my other Elektron boxes had MIDI SEQ I wouldn’t own it.

From the day that the specs of the A4 were uploaded we all were a bit sad about its MIDI limitations.

1 Like

So when you layer the Analog with another synth, do you just use the OT sequencer and bypass the Analog’s internal one? If so, what’s the point of having both sequencers?

I don’t layer the AK with other synths because I use its onboard SEQ.

I use the OT to clock AK and AR, and to control external samplers and synthesizes.

The AK sometimes controls a modular but that is the extent of its layering with other synths.

Sometimes I use audio voices in the OT to play back textures or to make quick melodies using samples.

I usually layer other synths together via one of the OTs MIDI tracks.

1 Like

What makes you guys think that adding midi- sequencing would be a simple thing to do? And if they added it - how deep should it go - what about trig-locks and sound-locks - triggless-locks - etc… ?
How would they have to make it as rasor-sharp as the cv-sequencer ?
And how is it possible some people who bought this instrument didn’t inform themselves and are now surprised there’s no midi-sequencer ?

To me it’s like buying a Porche and then complaining it’s not a mobile-home. ( Why didn’t they make it bigger ??? )

INCOMPLETE ? - So what’s complete ? where dous that stop ?
You want everything possible in one machine ??? Buy a computer - and fill it up with software - and when is that going to be complete ?

I’m shure MIDI is less reliable when it comes to tightness…
I can hear the difference easely.

Adding a midi -sequencer would be like adding a hook + a caravan to your Porche - . Imagine that … :zonked:

I think it’s a perfect desing - decision not to add midi-sequencing :alien:

Good to know your opinion.

I hope you don’t mind it if they break the “perfect design” some time in the future and add MIDI SEQ out.

I don’t think you really understand that it already has a digital internal sequencer, it isn’t analog. It shouldn’t be hard to get it to speak to MIDI - even note out and a small amount of CCs.

It also sends MIDI notes, when set to EXT. So, it already is a great sequencer, which can also send out MIDI notes, just not at the same time.

I don’t think it will take much to upgrade the AK.

2 Likes

What makes you think it might be difficult to do seeing as other Elektron machines from 10+ years ago seem to manage it easily?

Why not just make it as good as the Monomachine or the Ot sequencer? Tbh, just midi notes and a few cc’s would be useful.

I believe the Machinedrum initially didn’t have external midi sequencing either and this feature was added later - why not do the same for the Analog?

Compared to what, cv/gate? Of course but midi has loads of other features (poly/cc’s etc) that make it still very useful to use - as above, it works well on the other Elektron machines doesn’t it?

I don’t really think the analogy works as external midi sequencing has been added to other Elektron machines so could also be added to the Analog.

“Perfect”, really? Well how about they add it and you don’t use it, that way everyone would be happy? I don’t use the cv/gate but I’m happy for it to be there for other people to use.