Controlling analog rytm mk ii dual vco with analog four keyboard

I’m sure this is a newbie question but is there a simple way to control the analog rytm dual vco using my analog four keyboard. I have the midi ports hooked up properly and the analog four is sending notes properly and the rytm is set to receive notes and set to use midi but for some reason it is not working and I have to use the drum pads via chromatic mode to “play” that synth. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Are your midi channels set properly?

I believe so. Ie rim track which is three is on channel three. I’m then using track three on analog four set to midi channel three

Are you using the midi out port on the A4?
Midi Out Sync A

I’ve never used the A4’s keyboard for anything.
I just gave it my best effort with no results.
Maybe someone else can help.

Do you have an AK or an A4? I don’t think the A4 can send MIDI notes.
Also this thread may help you understand what’s possible MIDI OUT Confusion

Like I said, never tried it, but I thought the keyboard sent midi, but the sequencer did not.

Maybe you should try to lower down the octaves on A4 or AK?
In my case I succeeded in playing AR with my mopho x4 keys but for some reason I need to transpose down octaves on keyboard to hear any sound from AR. Seems like as AR does not receive any midi higher than say C3 octave or so.
So to hear higher voices I have to transpose oscillators on AR :sweat_smile:

Will try later, but as I sequenze the AR from my OT and it works, it should work from the A4/AK as well. Midi is midi, iirc :level_slider:

AR and AF mkii’s

Will definitely try that later today after work. Btw I am definitely not looking to have the af sequencer send midi or a prerecorded sequence on the af — I just wanted to use the keys on the af ii to play the dual vco engine so I can more easily come up with a baseline on the ar ii while recording etc. rather than using the chromatic keypad on the ar. Seems like it should be a simple thing but for some reason I’m hitting an obstacle.

Connect a working MIDI cable from AF MIDI Out to AR MIDI In.

On the AF, in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG menu:
Set OUT PORT FUNC to “MIDI”.
Set OUTPUT TO to “MIDI”.
Set OUTPUT CH to your desired number.
Set KEYBOARD DEST to “INT + EXT”.

On the AR:

In the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu:
Set INPUT FROM to “MIDI“.
Activate RECEIVE NOTES.

In the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > CHANNELS menu, set the channel for the DVCO track to match the channel you set on the AF.

In the SOUND SETTINGS menu, enable the track sound for chromatic play.

Play some notes on the AF’s mini keyboard. You may need to transpose the keyboard to get the chromatic range that you want within the four-octave range of the AR.

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s input. I was able to get it to work — lower octaves only as some had suggested. But I needed to set the autotrack on the af to the same midichannel as the track containing the dual vco I wanted to control.