Midi Foot Controller for Model Samples : help required

Hi everyone,
new to the forum and to Elektron. I am working on a set up that involves drums, synths and singing and wanting to move eventually away from Ableton Live I bought a Model:Samples wanting to try it. I mainly use it for bass, some percussion timekeeping stuff and the odd sample. There is not much ‘live’ use of the Model:Samples so as my hands and feet are more than full !

So far I like it a lot but I have been changing patterns with my hands and this is a limitation in many ways as well as risky.
So wanting to get a midi foot controller to do those things:

1. Start and Stop
  2. Move through patterns, ideally changing with the length setting so I can have the change coming in advance.
  3. Being able to mute a track momentarily would be cool.

I do have a Softstep 1 and I managed to make it talk to Model:Samples via the Note setting but not the Program one but I think I would like something else in any case. Money is not an issue, want to get the best thing I can get and be future proof for more functions down the road, where I would probably be getting a Digitakt or something more powerful.
Thank you in advance for helping me !

I’d recommend the Morningstar MC3 or MC6

Thank you for your suggestions, didn’t know this pedal.

I have the MC-6 which in my opinion is a bit overwhelming to customize - now I have a Desaster Area Designs Midi Baby 3 which i really, really like —>k.i.s.s.

Hi everyone
frustrated newbie, need help to set up my Model:Samples with a suitable MIDI controller. Don’t even know if Model:Samples will do what I want it to do. But had enough of reading through older posts.
Please drop me a line if you can help.
Thanks

1 Like

You should try asking us all to help you before you pay someone. What are the issues?

11 Likes

Hi there, thanks for your reply.
Looking to pair up a Model:Samples with a MIDI foot controller.

Sorry pressed reply too quickly…I can’t tell whether M:S is suitable for this…I would like to invest in something good or see whether I need one of the more expensive models like Digitakt…
Offered to pay because it is quicker to get it done that way…no offence to the lovely community here…
Made a post about a suitable controller yesterday and had one reply that suggested the MC6.
Thanks again.

Mc6 and mc8 are great units.

What exactly do you want them to do though?

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
I am not sure what I can control with MIDI except sending notes to the M:S.
From where I am now and I imagined I would be able to do:
Start and Stop
Change Patterns
Mute Tracks
and this cool function where you can apply chance to all the tracks simultaneously (maybe this is a step too far)
Do you know if the M:S can do those things with a MIDI foot controller?

You need to look at the MIDI CC list for the M:S, it will tell you what parameters can be controlled by MIDI and then you need a programmable MIDI foot controller that sends MIDI CC messages.

These are the parameters controllable by MIDI CC

4 Likes

Thank you, so anything that is not on those tables (like transport) is not supported…
And that means moving between patterns is not possible too?
Would have to get a new machine that is capable of these things then, like the Digitakt maybe?

You can do most of those things with the soft step you have now.
If you look on pg 61 of the soft step manual it shows the advanced settings which allow you to set any of the step pads to do what you are asking.

Look under heading MMC starting on oh 61 for start/stop messages.

Program change and bank change are also on page 61.

Mute is a per midi channel cc message #94

Chance is cc #14
you could probably configure it to send on all midi channels at once.

Old implementation chart and some instructions

Softstep manual

I know the kmi editor is a little clunky, but I’m pretty sure there aren’t any foot controllers out there that come close to the degree of control and customization this controller allows.

You will also most likely need to configure any other foot controller in a similar way to set up what you want to do.

I’d stick with the softstep and learn some midi programming!

I could be wrong tho :man_shrugging:t2:

Personally I would program one of those xy pads to control the filter of all your tracks at once too!

If you want to pay me, I’ll try and download the softstep editor and give a go at creating a preset map for you.

2 Likes

Sadly I have the SoftStep 1 and it sometimes plays up-not sure what goes on…let me give it another go tomorrow and if I don’t find a way…most likely I will get in touch with you. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m no MIDI expert, but if the pedal will send specific start/stop messages you may not need to rely on MIDI CC for transport. However, if something isn’t on a MIDI CC table, you can’t control that parameter via MIDI CC (again, AFAIK, but that’s been my experience anyway).

1 Like

Says here they should function similarly

MMC seems a different play/stop protocol from Elektrons, which use System Real Time Messages . I don’t think it would work, unless it’s compatible…

MMC
https://cmtext.indiana.edu/MIDI/chapter3_sysex_extensions.php

System Real Time Messages
https://cmtext.indiana.edu/MIDI/chapter3_system_messages.php

2 Likes

Oh! I’m learnin today!
Hm, the midi expander probably doesn’t translate mtc to srtm huh?
Damn, @NTM, it looks like I was wrong about the start/stop messages

Thank you @sezare56!!!

2 Likes

Thank you @sezare56 for chipping in and @Aksdnt for wanting to help . I must confess I don’t even understand what you are talking about anymore !
Could I please ask if I should be getting something like an MC6-8 and if that should cover those functions that I want (including start and stop)?
Actually another newbie question is if MIDI clock is the command that pertains to transport controls?
Thank you !