Midi Fader Mixers?

I can give you my Arduino code to build this if you want!
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1783202648520433&set=p.1783202648520433

3 Likes

Damn I did something with the post above and it’s gone however exactly what you say… too expensive for what I need and just want a few cheap faders. Already owned the MX12 and PC12 last year but sold them. Excellent but too much for what I need.

Cheers

1 Like

That looks fab do I need a new mortgage or lottery win for this? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Is that a custom controller running in an Ardunio?

it use 2 teensy boards, there is midi in out and thru and usb midi and bank management, @rob_lee the 16 channel cost around 500€ to build with good quality potentiometers

1 Like

Just to further expand on options already mentioned…

Sometimes you’ll find a 16n in a desktop format, with 1/8" MIDI output. $200-$250ish. Check reverb. Here’s one on there now.
Advantages are no need for other hardware, CV+MIDI capability, lots of compatible fader caps to choose from for customizing, and it’s compact. I’m glad such a device exists, as all the Doepfer PocketFaders appear to be hoarded away now :slight_smile:

Otherwise, the LaunchControl XL will certainly get it done and maybe it’s nice to also have those pots for FX, and what not, as well.
If you go that route you’ll need a USB MIDI host, unless you want to include a computer in the equation (most people do not).
There’s a gentleman selling some simple, low cost devices that do USB to MIDI conversion (output only) from empty battery pack cases. I have a couple and quite like them. He has one listed on Reverb, and a different one listed on eBay, as well.

I use one of those same USB MIDI host devices with my MIDI Fighter Twister. I used to think I wanted faders too, but with the Twister’s ability to program in specific values when you push an encoder (i.e. push to bring EQ back to center, or push to bring level down to 0), I’ve found that I prefer it over faders. There is a Twister + USB MIDI host discussion here on Elektronauts, if that’s something you wish to discuss.

You’ve got a lot of options, especially when affordable USB MIDI host devices are considered.

3 Likes

Thanks for the links here, very interesting.

1 Like

Who makes these? Can I get a quote for a custom design?

Do you think this could do the same job as the Novation XL with a USB Midi host?

Maybe try to find a Kawai MM-16, it’s usually cheap. Can even be programmed to send SySex messages. Not the longest faders but fine for most scenarios.

1 Like

I would recommend the Faderfox UC4 for a simple 8 fader box.
It’s much cheaper than the larger faderfox units, works standalone without a MIDI host, and great quality as you know from owning the MX12.
It is also very compact and will squeeze easily in beside any of your synths.
It will cost you just about the same as the Nektar with a MIDI host box.

1 Like

Yeah these look pretty good indeed I was looking at them last night…

Here’s my previously owned MX12/PC12 kind of regret selling them but I just felt I needed something more simple

I’ve had mine for a while and it’s absolutely solid. The faders are remarkably useable for being so small. They’ve got the resistance just right on them.
It would actually slot into that little space next to your keystep.
I’d looked at a few other boxes too, but wanted to keep it simple without adding extra cables and MIDI host devices.

1 Like

Yeah all I want is something simple like this… The UC4 and EC4 look like a good combination, can these be daisy chained like the MX12/PC12 with a special cable?

I have the MPCX as my main sequencer so wondering if I could add these as extra controllers via MPCX USB ports ? Not sure yet Iv’e not got anything setup since lockdown.

I build these and gave the code for free and sold pub for just the price it cost to. build them, I m working on a modular one and I ll give all the files to build them, it will have a master module that contain the teensy and midi interface with din in out and thru and also usb midi and USB Host and this master module will be able to receive 6 modules of 16 controls button or pots or faders.
if you have Facebook you can follow the work in progress here Facebook Groups

3 Likes

TBH I think I just need to scale down on gear, I hate getting rid of stuff (hoarder) If I’m honest I could probably get away with just 4 pieces of gear instead of 24 but with 2 of my kids (14 & 17) wanting to get involved and can play I thought I’d keep stuff for them for when I’m long gone lol… Overkill is the correct word with regards to my setup although I love designing sounds and sampling my old synths/drum machines but in reality for what I do I could just get away with 4 good synths and a drum machine.

About the FaderFox UC4 do those 8 faders double up as 16 via a shift button ?

1 Like

Yes, 8 banks for the faders and 8 banks for the encoders

1 Like

That’s great and they look pretty small so not taking up much space.

Exactly what I thought every time I saw a post of yours in this forum :wink:

Still curious to hear any musical output too!

1 Like

Monome 16n 2020 Matte Black | George's Gear Emporium | Reverb a bit of a plug , but if your looking for midi faders , these are pretty good

1 Like