MIDI ext mode and MIDI Config

I have some doubts about how this works, hoping someone can help me getting around this:

Does MIDI Config settings affect MIDI ext mode? Or are they independent?

I hope so because I love that you can control other gear while not using the AK sound engine, but the opposite doesn’t seem possible (playing the AK and not trigering the external hardware).

SO if I dissable the MIDI OUT in MIDI CONFIG settings, will MIDI Ext mode still work with other gear?

Thanks a lot!

I have been playing with the MIDI config but it seems there is no way to turn off the MIDI out when using the internal engine. If I turn off the midi outs then also ext mode doesn’t send MIDI.

I am right or I am missing something.

Hi,
You’re right as far as I know… don’t know why… it would have been alot more practical if that was possible. Same go’s for the Joystick … or I’ve missed something … I have to setup all that in my recievieng A4… a button like the midi-out would have saved alot of time and would make it possible to switch workflow on the fly…or more midi-filters :disappointed: .

Yes, you are right. The manual says in section: Global Menu/Midi Config/Midi Port Config exactly this.

BTW, if you switch off a midi out port, nothing will be sent through this port anyway :wink:

But you can …

• use the AK as a master keyboard only, no need to use the sound engine too, I do this every day
  • use the midi filter to deactivate sending clock or sending PRG CH, or activate it, if this is required.

I think you know that you can turn on/off the Ext Midi at any time by using this one gray button in the middle above the joystick?

AFAIK the keyboard is either controlling external gear, or internally.

Shure ? If I’m not wrong you can turn of the internal engine but not the external - midi by the button - this has to be done in the recieving instrument. So it’s controlling internal + external… or external.
Some Midi can be filtered but not all
Tell me if I’m wrong please :neutral_face:

I have this configured so that if I press the External MIDI button above the joystick, I’m playing other hardware (or in my case, software instruments or VSTs in Ableton), but if that button isn’t lit, I’m only controlling the internal sounds and not other hardware.

Did you use an midi-filter on the computer to achieve that ?

That’s exactly my experience too. If the LED is lit, only external gear is controlled, or vice versa.

In my case the midi filter does not send clock or PRG CH. In my setup there is no computer. The AK is sending to OT and OT is routing this to one of the other synths.

Hey, if I missed something, pick me up please. Would be interested, if “internal + external” works too, and how.

Did you use an midi-filter on the computer to achieve that ? [/quote]
Nope. When I get a chance, I’ll have a look at my settings on the AK.

That’s exactly what I am trying to achieve. Hope you can share your settings, thanks a a lot.

The trick is done by the following setup-parameters in <Global Menu/Midi Port Config>

KEYBOARD DEST := “INT+ EXT”.

That’s how I have done it and allows me to swap.

This is, what the manual says:

KEYBOARD DEST controls whether the keys of the KEYBOARD will send MIDI note data or not. When set to INT, no MIDI data will be sent. When set to INT + EXT, MIDI will be sent internally as well as externally. When set to EXT, MIDI will only be sent externally.

You should also make sure, that the midi output is activated by:
OUT PORT FUNCTIONALITY := MIDI
OUTPUT TO := MIDI/USB/MIDI+USB

I recommend to read the compete section of the manual. There are more useful settings explained how to setup midi in/out for various sources.

This is what the manual says in section Keyboard Control:

EXTERNAL KEYBOARD MODE Pressing [MIDI EXT] will turn the keyboard controls of the Analog Keys into an external MIDI keyboard controlling other gear. The KEYBOARD keys, JOYSTICK, DATA ENTRY knobs and the LEVEL knob will be dedicated to sending MIDI Out messages. Until deactivated, the Analog Keys synth and parameter settings will not be affected by these controls, only the external MIDI gear. Press the key again to deactivate. Note that the internal sequencer and synth tracks will continue to work normally even while the external keyboard mode is active

Thanks for the directions , I followed them but the AK still sends MIDI out when using the internal engine.

Any ideas?

What exactly do you mean by “using internal engine”?

As long as the LED of ExtMidi is on, the keyboard should send midi out. It’s supposed to do.

i had this problem too - its a setting in the Global menu

go to “Midi Port Config” menu

scroll down list until you get to “Keyboard Dst”

set it to “INT”

after this - the MIDI button above the joystick functions as expected - turn on to send midi but not to synth, turn off to send to synth but not MIDI

not sure why it defaults to local keyboard “always on”… its an odd decision

2 Likes

Great ! thanx … :+1:

Thanks a lot. It is odd to me too.

The manual isn’t clear about MIDI config settings and MIDI ext mode, as in this case I thought that changing to “INT” it wouldn’t send any MIDI out at all.

Exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot. :slight_smile:

Dude… Exactly what I was searching to figure out. My problem was AK triggering Geist2 Drums while Im trying to play a bass in (ect) …all good now, thank you.

1 Like

Is MIDI EXT working for people using firmware 1.22? I’ve tried a whole bunch of different combinations of settings but I never get note data coming through my MIDI interface. I’m using MIDI Monitor on OSX, and there’s no note on messages appearing at all. Clock and transport are fine, and all the panel controls send NRPNs as expected, but no note data. I have OUT PORT FUNC: MIDI, OUTPUT TO: MIDI+USB (also tried just MIDI), OUTPUT CH: AUTO CH, KEYBOARD DST: INT+EXT (also tried just INT, or just EXT…)

EDIT: Okay, I fixed this, I just had to restart the AK and everything worked fine. I’m going to leave my message around in case anyone else runs into this problem in the future.

I’m having this problem but sadly restarting AK didn’t solve my issue. I’ve written support to see what they say.

1 Like