MIDI-CV conversion [was: Your OT just became the best sequencer for modular

JUast check this out. Im trying to work out the different ways that this is going to be amazing - with an iconnectmidi4 (which I have) - I just cant wait…

WHat do you guys think?

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1.html

1 Like

I use mutable instruments yarns.

the vermona qmi is another great option.

1 Like

That was one of my first thoughts for this device!
Fun sequencing with the octatrack and modular; Silent Way, while amazing, always seemed a bit too much setup for my needs.

But theyre very different to this.

The more I look at this the more I can see how cool this is going to be. Cant wait to try it with the OT, Midipal and OP-1 against Verbos. More details to come apparently but the fact it so effectively integrates the OT is very cool. Theres a shit ton of normal Midi/CV converters and Yarns and the Midi2cv is good )and a 1/4 of yarns but this is next level

i don’t get it. Isn’t it simpler/cheaper to buy a midi/cv converter in one box?

1 Like

This lets you use any class compliant usb midi controller as a cv source without extra hardware. One of the demos shows a korg nano key being used as a polyphonic cv controller, for example.

i get that, but in the octatrack context what’s the benefit?

(btw there’s a sequencer in the module)

it just woudnt work without 14 but midi huh? Im not sure exactly how many values 14 bits can get you but its a lot more than 128!
I dont know if my gen 1 launchpad will work as it doesnt under the iconnectmidi as its not class compliant.
Thats one thing - are only class compliant devices going to work here?

So what have I missed? and why would it not work if it wasn’t at 14bit? My current understanding is that it would still work even at 6bit for example, but it’s entirely possible I’m missing something important.

…[/quote]
14 bits is the resolution of the data in a MIDI message that has 2 data bytes.

in use, the 7bit midi-cv conversion used in some products like kenton 'pro’2000 aux channels for example, are useless for smooth cv modulations. it’s a Glissando effect and so it’s only good for playing fixed notes. smart choice not to use 7bit well yeah this ES product would not function as expected, it would be useless!

put simply, if you divide a 5 volt span (1 volt per octave) into 128 divisions = 0.039v per each midi increment available. that means there are 25.64 increments per octave. so it’s only just more than double the resolution of the one note per increment minimum required to play every note on the keyboard.

our ears are ultra sensitive so the frequency stepping is obviously audible when any kind of pitch modulation is needed.

14bit conversion, such as is used for the kenton’s main two cv gate channels is necessary to have more smoothed and more natural sounding modulations. it allows for voltage interpolation between the coarse midi increment spec

i think that’s the sonic trade off with having full digital control over transient voltage values… for now, it doesn’t sound as natural as injecting a free running analogue cv source

But that is the thing with all ES modules - it sends CV out no matter what info it uses to make that Control voltage and thats why he can get sample accurate midi out of this technique. I mean all you need is a DC coupled interface and some special cables and you can do it - im speaking about his DAW ES3/4/ect.
This is different - and a 14 bit midi signal is required - in that its a usb host in and of itself so the OT for example with kill here as youll be able to set up CC’s and do all the nasty things, to your modular. Price is gonna b about the same as the ES3 so very reasonable

i cannot see how the OT can be connected to this module, via USB not since the usb-port on the OT does not transmit midi

so how could this work??

Something like this:
http://iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio

or even a cheap usb to midi cable may work.

i have an expert sleepers ES3 for computer integration w/the modular. adat input and 1/8 outs to the modular.

i sequence all the time w/the OT. i have a kenton Pro2000 that i’ve had forever. just plug the OT into that and can sequence all day. the kenton also has built in lfos etc. the fun is w/a kenton thru 5 i can sequence the modular and any other midi gear in the studio all from the OT. just use the computer for recording. works like a charm. plus there’s 8 tracks of OT

it’s really quite ridiculous. :slight_smile: in a good way of course.

this new USB host looks great though. polyphonic in the modular made simple. great. and more controllers… great!

thank you :+1:

I was always under the impression that the USB facility on the OT was just there to service the Card, the Overbridge type midi and audio transmission over USB is not implemented on the OT.

2 Likes

that was the reason i asked and frankie138 gave me a fine hint

1 Like

The more I look at this the more I can see how cool this is going to be. Cant wait to try it with the OT, Midipal and OP-1 against Verbos. More details to come apparently but the fact it so effectively integrates the OT is very cool. Theres a shit ton of normal Midi/CV converters and Yarns and the Midi2cv is good )and a 1/4 of yarns but this is next level[/quote]
Seems like Yarns or QMI is a better fit for Octatrack because of the DIN MIDI inputs on those modules, whereas for the FH-1 you have to add on a DIN to USB MIDI adapter of some sort.

The more I look at this the more I can see how cool this is going to be. Cant wait to try it with the OT, Midipal and OP-1 against Verbos. More details to come apparently but the fact it so effectively integrates the OT is very cool. Theres a shit ton of normal Midi/CV converters and Yarns and the Midi2cv is good )and a 1/4 of yarns but this is next level[/quote]
Seems like Yarns or QMI is a better fit for Octatrack because of the DIN MIDI inputs on those modules, whereas for the FH-1 you have to add on a DIN to USB MIDI adapter of some sort.[/quote]
They also have MIDI out.
My normal chain is OT midi out > Yarns > Yarns Midi out > A4 > A4 midi thru > Rytm
I also use the CV track of the A4 for additional modular control.

that was the reason i asked and frankie138 gave me a fine hint[/quote]
The Octatrack will NOT send midi out the USB port so it won’t matter what cable you use.
As far as converting the midi out of the octatrack to USB with a cable… It won’t be class compliant will it? Let us know if you have any luck!

1 Like