MIDI-CV conversion [was: Your OT just became the best sequencer for modular

If you check the link I posted earlier you will see that I suggested a midi to USB host cable, which only uses the midi IO of the octatrack, not the USB, which, as we all know, does not send any midi info and only works for loading samples from the computer.
While Yarns, etc are great, this device seems to offer similar functionality in fewer HP and it sounds like it will have some interesting sequencing/LFO features as well…

Someone got a price for the fh-1?

UP

who uses this set-up?

I’m using expert sleepers fh-1 with my octatrack.
The expanders were just released as well.

Quick computer science lesson:

With bits you calculate resolution by taking two to the power of X where X is the number of bits.

[ul]
[li]7 bits = 2 pow(7) = 128[/li]
[li]14 bits = 2 pow(14) = 16384[/li]
[/ul]

So over 16K different values of resolution for a given controller.

One can see why 14 bits is a great choice for digital control of analog circuits as it should eliminate any human-perceivable stepping effects.

Proof? Standard MIDI pitch bend has been 14 bit since the dawn of time and I’ve never heard of anybody complaining of hearing the microtonal differences in pitch.

Im not sure if I get it right.
Would it be possible to sequence a modular and apply the LFOs of the OT to the parameters of any module for example? Cause that would be absolutely fantastic!

If you have a MIDI-to-CV converter, yes!

If you have a MIDI-to-CV converter, yes![/quote]
Would the A4 fit the bill?

[/quote]

YES! that’s why i’m reconsidering my OT for eurorack duties. But i want to know more about fh-1 + expanders.

“If you have a MIDI-to-CV converter, yes!”

in the case of fh-1 it is a Usb midi-to-cv converter. Meaning you need a midi-usb between the OT and the module.

[/quote]

YES! that’s why i’m reconsidering my OT for eurorack duties. But i want to know more about fh-1 + expanders.

“If you have a MIDI-to-CV converter, yes!”

in the case of fh-1 it is a Usb midi-to-cv converter. Meaning you need a midi-usb between the OT and the module.
[/quote]
Yes, you need at least a class compliant midi-USB cable such as the iconnectmidi1, but it works great, no real downside.
What is appealing about the FH-1 is that it has it’s own LFOs that can be controlled via CC from the OT, and are much higher resolution than you would get from converting OT internal LFOs to midi via any midi-CV converter, which will be steppy.
Also, all 8 (up to 64) of the outputs can be either mid-CV, LFOs, trigs, constant voltages, or any combination therein at once (plus the in built sequencers), which is more flexible than any other easily obtainable midi-CV interface.
I highly recommend it for controlling modular with OT, beats A4 IMHO.

i don’t get it, it’s not a cc to cv conversion? How are the internal lfos controlled by the OT?

It can do CC to CV conversion, but it also has built in LFOs whose speed, phase, level can all be controlled by CCs and are tempo synced to the OT midi clock. So just set up the proper CCs in the midi sequencer and you have OT control over e.g. 8 CV LFOs.

1 Like

you do have regular midi note to cv and midi to trigger conversion right?

With regards to the Analog Four

Also as mentioned before it can also be a midi to CV converter for the octatrack.

1 Like

The Elektron sequencers don’t use 14 bits resolution for the pitch bend in their MIDI sequencers, do they? I did some tests a few years back, hooked the MnM or MD (can’t remember) up to a Doepfer A190-2. You can easily hear the stepping in the pitch bend if you bend an octave stretched over a couple of seconds’ time.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1311883/mp3/Pitchbends/pitchbend%201%20oktav%201%20sekund.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1311883/mp3/Pitchbends/pitchbend%201%20oktav%202%20sekunder.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1311883/mp3/Pitchbends/pitchbend%201%20oktav%204%20sekunder.mp3

Yes, definitely, many different modes:
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1usermanual.html#midicv

wow 4 voice polyphony is possible. Is there any noticable latency?

I can’t recommend the Endorphines Shuttle Control highly enough for connecting your OT to a modular rig:

http://www.endorphin.es/assets/endorphin.es_shuttle_control_manual.pdf

It has 16 assignable outputs and also functions as a power supply. Works brilliantly for me.

I’m not an expert (only play one on the internet) but yes, for certain parameters the sequencer does use 14 bits of resolution.

I’m looking at the MIDI CC Code section of the A4 manual for example and some parameters have both a MSB and LSB (most significant bit and least significant bit) Data Ranges:

[ul]
[li]Modwheel, Breath Controller, Pitch for each OSC, Filter 1 & 2 Freq, Env Depths, LFO Depths.[/li]
[/ul]

If you map to only the MSB CC controller for one of these parameters you’ll only get the 7 bit resolution of 128 values.

To get 14-bit your software or MIDI controller needs to know how to correctly map to a pair of CC codes (for example, 16 MSB and 48 LSB for OSC1 Pitch).

Then you get 128 LSB steps for every one of the MSB steps: 128 * 128 = 16,384 values of resolution.

You’ll see the LSB kick in when you adjust the Elektron parameter knobs slowly, you get the animation of the smaller indicator instead of the major increments.

The problem is that when you turn the parameter knobs quickly I think you’re jumping MSB positions so you hear the zippering but my guess is that the internal sequencer handles the LSB positions as well.

1 Like

Old thread but +1 for yarns, the built in digital oscillator comes in handy sometimes too