Midi 2.0

Doesn’t matter where he is. Shouldn’t take him too long to get here.

1 Like

While obviously the bits about wireless power were a joke, if I’ve learned anything about show tech over the past however many years, it’s mostly to avoid wireless anything unless you really need it. So many opaque failure modes, and that’s before we look at latency and jitter. I think Dante has the right idea, by refusing to run over anything it thinks might be a wireless network.

1 Like

MIDI 2.0 is transport agnostic. Outside of being able to meet basic requirements, and having that transport shared between devices, the standard is open. Whether it be a USB, Ethernet, A2B, ( ADDED : wireless ) or some other transport is really dependent on those actually making the hardware. That is both an advantage and potentially a disadvantage, if manufacturers fail to coalesce on a standard.

Snark

Kind of like people agreeing on a topic.

1 Like

How long have we been talking about MIDI 2.0? I started getting into music 2006, and we were talking about it then.

Both a driver and an API. The driver in this case is to be USB, but there is a reason you make something like this a driver.

AMEI home page

2 Likes

In a comment on their KIckstarter page Aodyo was asked about supporting MIDI 2.0.

Their response : Probably not on initial release. We still need to evaluate the work to be done to comply with MIDI 2.0 compatibility.

This is a very exciting possibility. I know Glen Darcey in comments he made on a video has investigated what MIDI 2.0 would require to be supported by the Hydrasynth. The Anyma Omega from Aodyo ( thread ) has an interface that would fit with MIDI 2.0 capabilities.

Could the Omega be one of the first MIDI 2.0 capable hardware synths ?

2 Likes

This is very true, and those three will for the most part skip MPE.

Those three in that order. The MPE niche is for real, but transitional.

For other smaller manufacturers, like Expressive E — the topic of the post i am responding to — they need to keep their heads up, and be ready to adapt their existing product base and shift with change. Existing MPE products do make a good place of beginning though for this transition, and function in the market very nicely. The rate of the transition so far has been happening at a glacial pace.

3 Likes

Ya…I thought they would jump on 2.0.
A little disappointed. Been waiting/watching for a LONG time.

2 Likes

Is NAMM 2023 going to be the big MIDI 2.0 rollout? :smile:

I’d love to stop thinking about buying secondary devices to improve timing, sync and reliability. MIDI 2.0 can’t come soon enough for me.

2 Likes

Beside this more complete spec, they also have a spec for the new MIDI 2.0 SMF Clip File. ( SMF == Standard MIDI File ).

5 Likes

I’m sure it been mentioned, you guys probably know, I only just saw it yesterday…I don’t see it mentioned in this thread, but, Logic has a MIDI 2.0 selection in the MIDI prefs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

finally, something for the Roland A88 MkII to control. It was one of the very first MIDI 2.0 controllers announced, but was like the dude that showed up at the high school dance without a partner.

Whatever it does, if it get’s rid of the God Damned A/B midi dongles, and just makes everything universal, I’m all in.

1 Like
3 Likes

MIDI 2.0 is more exciting to me than any new hardware and software could ever be (yes I’m a self-confessed MIDI-nerd :blush: )

However I have this glimpse into the future where some synth-nerds are discusing shit in VR space or whatever:

“Isn’t it strange how we have all this tech, but we’re still using MIDI, developed in the 1970’s?”

"Wasn’t there some sort of attempt to update it, around 2030 or something?

“Ah, yes, the infamous MIDI 2.0, around 2020 I think.”

“Ha, never took off did it. Everyone just ignored it and that thread on ye-olde-lektonauts got less than 100 replies!”

2 Likes

Can we ever say bye to it all ?

To original DIN MIDI. To 128 steps. To all the tricks hooked to the side of it ( NRPN, MPE, SysEx, etc ) to try to let it do other things. To the different power standards, 5V, 3.3V – to all the weird cables ( Type A, Type B ), USB (A, B, C etc), ethernet, Wi-Fi, etc, and to all the boxes – splitters, mergers, extenders, etc.

Think of the investment that is still done in patching new stuff into this old tech, to creating new hardware for this old tech and its limits. Look at nearly all your gear and software. We can hardly imagine what we don’t have, because we are so committed to doing things in the same old way. There is so much invested already that even the new standard has to work with the old standard.

Maybe the problem is related to cost.

Manufacturers dont want to add the cost of putting the 2.0 tech in.

There should be a law against adding 1.0 MIDI to new gear!

Personally I cannot wait for it to take off. It has been slow though…

Let’s prove them wrong !

1 Like

I mean most thing we’ve built upon were developed in the 1970s like C, x86 assembly, and TCP/IP.

1 Like

Pretty sure the letter 'C’s been around since at least the 40’s or 50’s :grin: