Micromonsta 2

The adapter is usefull if you want to plug different things, like a mouse, a computer keyboard…
And it was way cheaper in the shop I bought mine.
I didn’t experienced it since.

I have no connection to the seller. Mods feel free to delete if I’ve broken some rule about advertising.

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/fs-uk-micromonsta2/196541

Shouldn’t sold it. It’s the only good sounding poly synth that fits my pedalboard. I need to buy a new one!

1 Like

@elektrosamplist any ballpark eta for the next batch so I can try not to be broke around then?

3 Likes

This is exactly how I use mine. Linnstrument 128, MM2 and battery all on a pedal board. Sold it once and re bought it too.

Not september for sure, I guess it will be November now… :frowning:
It will be a slightly bigger batch, but unfortunately won’t be enough for all you guys waiting for an instock email.

I’m hoping to now receive some components from ST delivered (the ones I ordered almost 2 years ago…) to be able to launch another batch quickly after this next one. Fingers crossed.

18 Likes

Ok- thanks for the update and good luck with your components!

2 Likes

Returning to this thread to again proclaim my appreciation of the MM2! This thing is such a GAS killer, really can do any sound you crave to about 95%. Sounds so good to my ears! I have recently put alot of time into learning the Roland MC101, the MM2 still has the best workflow for sound design out of any compact synth out there!

8 Likes

Agreed. Just spent 3 hours playing in series with a friend. I make sounds, he samples it in his Digitakt. The synth has so many possibilities.

How would you compare the sound to MC-101 synth/fx engine? Is it capable of wavetable-y aggressive “alien” sounds and effects (It’s one thing I’m missing from my MC-707… well, and also some nice long “ambiental” reverb).

Programming seems similar to MC-707 (4 encoders, 3 additional knobs), combined with Elektron style direct page access buttons. I’m just a bit worried about abbreviations…

I found programming it very fluid, super easy to swap back and forth from modulator (LFO/ENV) to modulated (cutoff, pitch …). Much easier than the MC-101 (I can’t offer an opinion on the 707)

1 Like

I agree, I find the MM2 to be very intuitive to adjust parameters and a very wide range of sounds can be achieved. I sequence/play mine with the Digitakt, which to me is a perfect match.

I love my MM2. I’m using it with the ST and DT and it’s perfect for adding poly-pads and leads, plus dope basslines.

I wish the modulation matrix had more destinations - FX sends/parameters, arpeggiator parameters, etc. I also wish the MIDI CC was open to more of that stuff, as well. It sucks not being able to control the arpeggiator with a sequencer.

2 Likes

Speaking of MIDI CCs, I was considering setting up a controller with it to control osc volume, effects parameters and modulation amounts.

If I’m running in MPE mode, does everything go on channel 1?

How does it deal with hardware knob position on the controller? Do parameters jump when you grab a knob or do you have to move through the setting?

And what if I’m layering 2 different sounds?

Thanks for any insight anyone has.

Agree! 10 modulation slots are awesome, but there is a lack of depth to the mod matrix. Id love to see some depths as destinations. So you can modulate the depth of modulation on another modulator. Modulation might be the one place Roland has the MM2 beat. Also i need to play around a bit more, but you have F,Q, and M knobs that can be assigned to other tasks, plus the 4 encoders should all be sources in the mod matrix. Rolands mc-101 lacks the 3 pots, only has the 4 encoders, but they are sources in the modmatrix, along with almost all midi cc’s. The M knob is super powerful on the MM2, but it seems it could easily do the same macro control with the encoders.

You don’t need depths as modulation, you already have quite a bunch of them already implemented in 1 source, like for example with LFO1:
LFO1 * velocity
LFO1 * aftertouch
LFO1 * mod. Wheel
LFO1 * mod. Knob
LFO1 * Envelope 1

If the one you want is not there, cook your own with one of the 2 mult op.

With 10 slots available, that should keep you busy quite some time…

12 Likes

So I did alot of deep diving into the Zenology and the mc101. I wouldnt say they compliment eachother, but just differnt approaches to a general workhorse synth engine.
The roland gives you alot of options for differnt effects but I don’t 'love any of them. Where the MM2 has only drive, chores, delay, and reverb. They sound great and don’t leave me wanting or reaching for any additional fx.
Wavetable and alien harsh noises, id say yes the MM2 can do them, and deffinently alot better to my ears then anything on the roland! (If only roland let us modulate the sample times!!) If I ONLY wanted to make strange alien noises maybe not the MM2 as my first pick, but if I only could have one synth, desert island situation, MM2 is in the top 3!?! Sorry, sort of a poor response.
As far as programming goes, MM2 is way better then the mc101. I have not used the 707 yet, but very much want to try one. Workflow, layout and orginization of the MM2 is far better. Zencore is sloppy with all the ‘pre-wired’ modulation routing. MM2 you build a patch, adjust the interaction by setting what the knobs and encoders controle, then you switch to like a “preformance” page where you have 7 fixed controls. But its so easy to get to any peramiter on the MM2 that I often forget to switch to the preformance page and end up tweaking and sound designing live. Zencore on the other hand is awful to tweak live! Zencore really clicked for me when I stopped looking at it as a synth engine and started to look at it as awkward environment for building synths in. Hard to explain, but 4 partials = 4 linked monosynths sounds good on paper but is hard to make it sound good. You can reverse engineer any $50+ roland vst instument inside zenology. So when you buy the $150 Roland sh101 expansion all your getting is a zenology patch and a custom interface. Zencore works with samples and has all the pcm stuff, but as a VA synth MM2 just sounds better to my ears!

3 Likes

I’m not following like if I wanted to have a lfo1 modulate the speed and depth of lfo2. Then lfo2 going to pitch?
I guess what I’m saying is the MM2 falls just shy of having generative modulation abilities.

use mult1 with lfo1 and lfo2 as sources
then in matrix:
src mult1 dest pitch
src lfo1 dest lfo2

11 Likes

Wow, alright! Thank you, I will explore this… I’m deffinently still learning. Have not put too much time in on the MM2 as it always sounds so good no need to deep dive yet. Not sure I have seen this on another synth before. When I was deconstructing patches to learn I only saw this as a lfo*knob making me only think knob controlled depth.