MFB Tanzmaus

ah, ok thanks

What type of drums you looking for?

fwiw Iā€™m madly in live with my A4, but at the moment use it strictly as a drum machine :panda: Itā€™s superb for all kinds of percussive synthesis, and with sound locks you can easily go beyond 4 drumsounds.

1 Like

@tsutek, Yeh, thanks, i known about percussive quality of A4. I often use it in Jam with electrofellows.
I was looking for analog type of sound. Cause i always use mā€™y MD, but i wanted new source of sounds, more classical drum machine ones.

But since mā€™y last post, i decided not to by a new gear (maybe a gas alert), and gave mā€™y OT a new life :slight_smile: )
More, since i heard about conditional trigs, i impatiently wait for that new os. Itā€™s like a new gear. So i start a new period of sampling and resampling and search for good samples on web.
I offer me a second discovering travel with OT. Thereā€™s more wisdom in that than in buying and learn other gear. I must very well mastered my gear before learn new.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t looked into the Tanzmaus with much attention until nowā€¦ definitely interested in one of these to take percussion duties off the OT, having more space for melodic partsā€¦

I got one a month or so ago as my first drum machine ever.
A few thoughts :

• It sounds the bomb. The kick is life altering.
  • Itā€™s really rather simple to use if you refer to the tutorial video of Once Upon a Synth on Youtube. I very rarely end up being confused as to what is going on.
  • Parameter locking is a big big plus, I really got into it after like two weeks of having it and getting the hang of the basics but it puts the little box at a whole other level.
  • However itā€™s maybe the only thing that can be a bit confusing to set up.
  • Itā€™s great for techno for sure but it has quite a variety of sounds inside. The default patterns are a good reference for this.
  • I like the sound of all the voices especially since they are quite tweakable (see clap); the default samples are great, I havenā€™t yet felt the need to change them.

Frankly Iā€™m really happy with it. Once you know how to use it itā€™s not like you forget it every time you turn it on. Itā€™s portable, it sounds great, itā€™s powerfulā€¦ I donā€™t need much more at the moment to add drums to my modular.

2 Likes

I picked one of these up because I was in desperate need of a small x0x style drum machine for live use. Iā€™ve been messing with it since yesterday, and it is indeed really impressive. Programming is a lot easier than most reviews and comments suggest and it sounds even better than the demos I heard before I bought it. Only minor complaint so far is the buttons take a little more pressure than Iā€™d like and the PCB feels like itā€™s only supported on the corners, so it flexes a little when youā€™re pressing the buttons for steps 5-8 (but no more than the PCB under the numeric keypad in my old MPC2kxl flexes, so Iā€™m not worried about durability, itā€™s just a tiny nitpick).

Unfortunately, I might have stumbled on a firmware bug this afternoon. Not a dealbreaker by a long shot but a bit of a hassle. Iā€™ve contacted MFB but in the mean time, has anyone here had problems with realtime parameter recording not working on sample 2? It works fine on all of the other tracks (including smaple 2 alt) but if I do it on sample 2 I hear my changes while Iā€™m recording them but they donā€™t actually stay, as soon as the pattern repeats theyā€™re back to whatever values were already plocked. If I switch to another track it works exactly like itā€™s supposed to. Iā€™m out of town for the week so I donā€™t have it hooked up to anything (and unfortunately I didnā€™t think to bring an MIDI interface, so I canā€™t try updating the firmware on the off chance it isnā€™t running the latest version) so Iā€™m sure this isnā€™t MIDI related and Iā€™m pretty confident it isnā€™t user error.

Anyone else experience that?

Anyway, this thing sounds fantastic and I canā€™t wait to get home and load some of my own samples into it. Even if the problem Iā€™m having never gets resolved Iā€™m more than satisfied. Canā€™t wait to hook it up to the OT and try using its built in sequencer and the OT sequencer with conditional trigs at the same time to make long, evolving patterns that would be impossible on either sequencer alone.

Really glad I got this thing, it was worth every penny and I might even buy a Tanzbar Lite to go with it sometime next spring when I can spare the money.

I have the same problem, which I found very annoying. The only workaround I found is to do it step by step. Say you have a closed hithat on sample two and you want to modulate the decay (usually what I want to do) you just select the steps and move the decay accordingly. This way it gets recorded on a step by step basis instead of a more real time recording.

Itā€™s a strange bug ! Maybe itā€™s resolved with the update (the one which allows to change samples) ? Iā€™ve never updated mine. Anyway I donā€™t have it anymore for now, I gave it to a friend while I concentrate on the Digitakt, but I wish I had space for both, as I love the look, the sound and the quirks of this little x0x box.

1 Like

I just got mine so I have no idea what firmware it shipped with. The update ZIP only has changelogs up to v1.4 (the latest is 1.62) so maybe it was resolved - Iā€™ll be updating the firmware Sunday evening when Iā€™m back home and have a MIDI interface handy. Even if it isnā€™t I donā€™t mind it much, since itā€™s only one track and it works fine on sample 1 alt so I still have three sample tracks that I can do realtime parameter recording on, thatā€™s plenty.

Anyhow, I guess itā€™s good to know that itā€™s a bug not some mistake Iā€™m making.

Spend half an hour this afternoon just running the Tanzmausā€™ main out through the Octatrackā€™s comb filter and Dark Reverb with LFO modulation, and it sounds incredible. Really great combination, you could practically do a whole track just using OT effects on the Tanzmaus without an other sound sources. Easily the best gear purchase Iā€™ve made since the OT itself.

I just received mine today. I see theyā€™ve replaced the cheap power switch that originally came on these with the much more robust one from the Dominion Club. I like this thing immensely and immediately. This is a very good/fun drum machine.

1 Like

Anyone using one of these? Whatā€™s your opinion? Iā€™ve previously owned a Tanzbar but that was more like and 808 thing and Iā€™m more in to 909.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Hey Rob.
Iā€™m just returning my Tanzbar 2. Itā€™s an incredible machine. Very 909 like. Best sounding drum machine Iā€™ve used. Why am I returning it? Iā€™ve got 2 Octatracks and my way of working with them is so embedded that the Tanzbar 2 just doesnā€™t fit my way of working. Itā€™s a shame but I get more done on the Octatrack with samples than I do integrating other gear into the mix.

Thereā€™s a bit of a waiting list on the Tanzbar 2. Of youā€™re interested message me regarding the sale of it. I post it back to Thomann on Tuesday.

Thanks for the offer but theyā€™re too expensive for me at the moment Iā€™ve only got Ā£320 spare so Iā€™m gonna just buy a TR08/DB Impact or a Tanzmaus off eBay.
Hope you donā€™t regret sending it back lol I would. I didnā€™t get on with my Octatrack and sold it.

Rob

The tanzmaus is much more 909 sounding and it sounds great. Worth every penny.

Tanzbar 2 is more towards the 909 then the first tanzbar. Id say the tanzbar 2 is like a 909 +808 where the tanzbar 1 was more like 808,606, and a little bit 909. The tanzbar 2 still has that sine wav deep sub bass more like a 808 .

The tanzmaus has more of a square wave bass so it punches a bit more sounds more hard. Since the tanzmaus is do small and knobby its great for live . very good compliment to either tanzbar.

3 Likes

Looks extreme. Have you tried changing the click type and lowering the click amount? Some of the click types are pretty loud and need turning down.

Similar situation on mine wrt kick attack. It gets pretty extreme when the attack knob is past 10 oā€™clock, so I keep it below that.

Still has enough punch for me at lower attack levels, but I wish the scaling of the pots was better, it would have been easier to dial in specificsā€¦ Now it seems almost logarithmic in some cases (notably kick attack and some of the individual volume pots - e.g. sample 1 volume if IIRC).

Iā€™m back on this hunt, since the MFB 503 (smaller) has no clapā€¦

To combine with Digitone, like this:

My mate has a Tanzbar Lite for sale, I can hook you up if youā€™re interested. Heā€™s an absolutely solid guy. Based in the UK, not sure whereabouts you are.

Switzerland, so unfortunately would be painful for everyone involved :smiley:

Thanks, though, I appreciate the thought.

Iā€™ll keep my keyword filters operational!

1 Like

Is France any easier? Thereā€™s someone on Audiofanzine selling a Tanzmaus for a good price (not me).

Found one locally :eyes:

1 Like