MFB Tanzbär 2

So the buttons felt cheap overall ? Was the side panels poorly pieced together too?

Apparently not.

It just didn’t feel right for me, sliders were wobbly but knobs were ok.

1 Like

Same experience. Same solution.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I love the blue paint job but bad sliders on a synth would keep me up at night. 1000US saved!

1 Like

Sorry to bump this, but can anyone else with a Tanzbar 2 test to see if they have the same issue I’m facing with the samples clicking? I’d love to know if its just my unit.

So far all I’ve heard from MFB is that my samples are too long, even though I used one if their own short drum samples for my demo…

The easiest way I’ve found to hear the click is to load a non-clicky sample (like the one in my folder). For me when I trigger it manually with the sequencer stopped there is no clicking, but if I put it in the sequencer it’ll have a click on every playback.

Got the opportunity to get a Tanzbar 2 in second hand for an ok price and i just went for it. It sounds and feels awesome :slight_smile:

There is tastes for everything and i had a Rytm mk1, a drumbrute, a rytm mk2, a tanzmaus and now the tanzbar 2. For all of this drum machines the MFB ones where the only ones that i really liked the analog voices. I would never get a roland machine, for the same reason i got a moog and sold it right after - i have heard it a thousand times.

I am always curious about new sounds and the Rytm and drumbrute have a refresh take on analog voices but i never really connected to their sound. Yes had a more raw power than my go to digital synths, but what is the point if you don´t really like the way it sounds or you cannot make it sound the way you like? Sell and move on :slight_smile:

The Tanzbar 2 sounds awesome. I see it as a modern take on the Roland drum machine (again, never had any sooooo…) . Specially the kicks but also the snares, and all the other analog voices. It´s also super handy to have the option to use some samples with individual outs and analog filters in a few voices. Some of this might be subjective, but it´s hard for me to imagine that anybody, anywere, would not love the ginormous low end that the kicks of this little machine sends out the speakers. If there is anyone out there that stills thinks that the analog sound is a gimmick, i recomend to try to have a listen to this machine (or others alike).

The AR can do more than the Tanzbar 2 but right now i am searching for a simpler drum machine, that could do a more than my “late” tanzmaus. The biggest drawback is the lack of analog hihats, but whenever i need them i can get them from elsewhere (AK). MFB machines also have a reputation for their weird workflow, and this one doesn´t dissapoint but it´s a huge step forward from say, a tanzmaus.

Build quality is ok, minus the mini usb port power supply.

Hope i have helped some of you guys that are on the fence. Or made you even more confused :wink:

3 Likes

Going to try it. Does the sample manager works on Catalina?

1 Like

I am committed to my tanzbar 2 for now. Like the low-end sounds a lot.

Building grooves is a different workflow compared to Elektron. Although if you combine it with a digitakt you can do similar stuff; but need to CC parameter all the settings :grimacing:

I prefer the internal sequencer to use the groove/shuffle of the machine itself. It swings for sure.

It does has its limitation and can be fiddly. There is no kit structure. All sounds are locked in the sequence. But different methods give different results.

The sound is instand. When using the Rytm I was just watching this screen and changing sounds al the time. Now I focus on other things.

1 Like

No doubt, the MFB sound is the best when it comes to being analogue. I still go to my Tanzmaus loops for every track I make. They cut through perfectly in a mix and responds really well to any processing. Which, to be fair, you hardly need with the MFB sound.

3 Likes

Heh no it doesn’t run in Catalina… figures…

Hopefully someone else can try to confirm my bug.

@quartzwatch I’ve noticed the sample clicking as well, just as you say they play fine while the sequencer is stopped. I want to say it happened more on percussive samples right at the attack. When I select a melodic sample I didn’t notice it much however I’m closing the filter, adding lfo’s, flams etc to compensate.
Sometimes Tanzbär acts a little quirky until you’ve saved the pattern but that doesn’t seem to be the case this time. I heard clicks on short, BD samples so I don’t think it’s a length issue (I’ve only used factory samples).
It’s just on the sample slots 1-3 yeah?
I also listened thru the individual 1/8” sample out but it’s still there.
Total head scratcher for sure…

1 Like

can you send me some tracks of yours where the tanzmaus is featured?
Interested to hear some examples.
Still thinking about this one or even the tanzbär 1, which you can get quite cheap now.

1 Like

Sure, no problem. I’ll dig up a few where it’s more featured. It’s part of all my tracks lately, but more or less prominently. I’ll find one or two favourites and get back to you.

I rarely have gear regret, but this one I wish I would’ve held on to longer. I sampled the hell out of it, thinking now I’m done and got enough. I was wrong.

1 Like

Ha, ironically, this one is probably best for the purpose - this mix didn’t turn out well at all, because the drums were way too prominent - which fits the purpose of your request quite well :slight_smile:

All drums here are from the Tanzmaus. No processing, except for the Blackbox filter going in and out from time to time.

2 Likes

I think, overall, having used MFB drum machines on and off since 2015, but only the Tanzbär 2 briefly (a week or two, at the most), it’s worth underlining a few things about them which I think applies to them all -

They sound fantastic. They cut through extremely well in a mix and if you dig the sound, you won’t need to process them. It’s like they’re wired to just work. If you do process them, they respond very well to whatever you’re coming up with.

The workflow isn’t difficult but it’s different, and it’s tailored for live use. So much of what is done is to avoid “Oops” on stage. And once you learn it in studio, the flow is great. Granted, not for everyone. It’s slightly obtuse, from time to time.

It has its own very distinct character. I don’t think comparisons with 808 and 909 make them any justice. They got their own different flavour.

There’s the talk of build quality and MFB. I never had issues with them, but I think the general chat on this topic ends with the Tanzmaus and Tanzbär Lite line, from where it seems they stepped up their game on hardware QA. I don’t know from experience, but hear others make this claim, people I trust.

Anyone who hasn’t tried an MFB banger owes it to themselves to at least go for one of them. You don’t know what an MFB can do until you’ve heard it live. Youtubes and clouds of sound don’t do it justice.

4 Likes

beautiful track. I don’t think the drums are too prominent. thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you. Well, I’m my own worst critic, I suppose. Let me know if you want more examples.

1 Like

anytime :slight_smile:
I might just give your soundcloud an extended visit

1 Like