MFB Tanzbär 2

3 Likes

I really dont understand what you want us to tell you. The audio out is stereo so… put your headphones in there?

If theres nothing on the box that says headphone out then there isnt one, that would be my advice

Iv’e had this a few days now and had some time to play… the sounds are pretty good but it comes with a shit 28 page manual that doesn’t tell you much, just basic stuff. Iv’e got a few features sussed out HOWEVER if I’m doing tweaks to my pattern when trigger is red and then hit the manual trigger again turning it green then my tweaks are lost. I’m wondering if you have to first save a pattern before your settings are all saved… I’ll try this tonight. It’s pretty much a great drum machine apart from that.
Great that it’s a doddle to swap out the included samples too.

2 Likes

Can the filter get nasty and agressive ?

1 Like

The Bass synth is fabulous and the filter screams… one of my favs is that Bass. I’m just replacing the stock samples with some of my own sample library as I don’t like many of the ones included. Sample transfer is pretty easy and fast, just pick your slot in the software and go… but yeah the filter is great, careful with that resonance tho hehe

1 Like

I recently loaded the 3 sample voices, that have analog filters, up with my 16 favorite kick samples on the first voice, 16 favorite snares on the second voice, and 16 favorite hats on the third voice.

Each of these voices also have a bit-reduction effect that in conjunction with the analog filters really makes these samples sound way nice imo.

The sequencer has this funky groove to it to too; this thing is really satisfying my craving for an SP-1200 right now.

3 Likes

Did you find a way around this rob? It is what I’m struggling with now. There’s no way to go between tweaking params and adding steps in step mode unless you select the instrument and then select all the notes.

What I really want is to have those changes done while jamming saved into per-step changes so they don’t get overwritten by entering the sequencer…

Edit: Found the command I needed in a post on Gearslutz:
“When not editing any instrument, I might wanna make a change to some parameter and then either go back to what’s recorded (by pressing MAN TRG/RECORD) or actually save it across bars (by pressing SHIFT + INST/SEL).”

1 Like

Do you have a link to the Gearslutz post mate? Been away abroad for a while… have to learn this thing again, it’s just one of those instruments that if I don’t play it for a while I end up forgetting the functions lol

here ya go https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1214164-tanzbar-2-a-7.html#post13820235

1 Like
3 Likes

It’s a big love affair w/ my Tanzbär 2 but gotta say the firmware can be a bit 000ffle.

3 Likes

Hi all,
considering one of these so have a few questions if anyone can help. The manual is pretty slim (so answering question 1 could be easy, in that they didn’t really promise much in terms of specifics!):

1. it seems like there have been a lot of issues and fixes its since release… there are multiple threads across different forums - too many posts to completely digest - what’s the current state of play, does it work as it’s supposed to (More of less)? I know the interface has had some different feedback, this question is solely whether the machine does what it is supposed to, not what different people want it to.
  2. Is there a setting/function that enables instant pattern changes, as opposed to running out that particular sequence/part before it changes?
  3. Is there any tech spec on the outputs, especially the individual outputs (the mini-jacks)?
  4. I see that the midi CC implementation is now documented as covering many more parameters than the manual makes out (which just appeared to state the front panel parameters had Midi CCs assigned). Is this the case and does it work in practice, as I would envisage I would use this as opposed to programming such changes via the hardware interface itself?
  5. Anything else critical I need to know to make my decision?

This is one of a couple of options I am considering, the other being a small Eurorack drum set up, almost certainly to include the Jomox Modbase and Modbrane (which will costs as much as the T2!). Another sub-option is to compliment the T2 with a Mbase 11 and possibly a M.Brane 11, using the two spare midi sequencing channels on the T2 (is that right that I can do that?).

Thanks in advance

I also have question for owners, but it maybe something a non-owner will know too:

The main 6.35mm output is listed as stereo. Is this just to allow headphone use or does the unit output true stereo, either stereo samples or panned instruments?

Could I use the main output in mono without issue?

Thanks.

I know with the Tanzbar 1 the toms were panned across the stereo spectrum, but I don’t see it mentioned anywhere in the Tanzbar 2 manual. Maybe someone with a unit at hand knows more.

1 Like

The clap on mk1 is also stereo.

1 Like

Thanks for this.

@mynewcolour Update: I checked my T2 and toms/congas are non panoramic. Only percussion instruments 1-3 and cymbals have panning. At the bottom of the unit there’s text saying which instruments have panoramic capabilities.

A little bit of panning can go a long way in terms of spicing up the width of the groove. Don’t forget to p-lock them too!

2 Likes

Has anyone else noticed the sampler tracks click, even when the sample starts at a zero crossing and has a fair bit of fade? I can’t seem to get around it (other than using the low-pass filter to filter it out…). I’ve made sure to set the hold/decay to a small enough value that the sound stops playing before being triggered again.

Edit: I contacted MFB and created a google drive folder with info on the issue. It has pictures showing the original sample and the click after being played by the Tanzbar2. (FWIW the click isn’t consistent, it seems to happen more right after changing decay, but this screenshot shows one of the good examples)

Hi there Tanzbar 2 owners, i hope that one of you might help me.

I am thinking of buying one of this but i cannot find any information regarding if it is possible to recall all tracks parameters via program change.

I want to use an external sequencer to sequence and program the beats, so i would like to have some sort of “kits” stored in the tanzbar itself. I am aware that i can do this by automating every parameter of the tanzbar in my sequencer, but that would be really unpractical and a worflow killer.

Thanx in advance!

Had the Tanzbar 2 for about 2 weeks and sold it then bought the Analog Rytm MKII, never looked back. I quite liked the bass synth but that was about it. Feels flimsy too. The AR MKII is solid, built like a tank and does a hell of a lot more.
Personally I’d save some more money and grab an AR MKII. This also has a great Dual VCO synth onboard.

3 Likes