MFB Synth Pro

Just thought I’d mention as this is going largely unnoticed here it seems… MFB have just released a firmware update for this thing fixing most of any bugs this thing had. It’s a really great synth that has a huge amount of range.

1 Like

I just found out about this thing today, how is it flying under the radar?

2 Likes

It seems to have quite a bit of firmware / hardware issues, I bought one and the output was broken so I sent it back and was waiting for another to ship out but found out that lots of people were having issues with the hardware so I cancelled my order until they revise the hardware…

Also the the digital side of things was far from ironed out which I also would want sorted before considering this again.

The sound is very nice though! And very feature packed for the price, many are happy with their purchase despite the flaws

Did that not fix the issue or is there issues on top of this?

Most people still seem to have issues with inconsistencies in tuning across the 8 voices and even the filter being calibrated differently per voice, They didn’t mention anything about the low rez env’s / lfo’s in the firmware so I’m not sure if they fixed that either.

Tbh, my biggest concern was about the hardware, with my faulty unit, I contacted mfb and they replied once and then didn’t reply to any of my messages after that and if you read the gearslutz thread, the hardwares issues are way too common, I felt like I’d be buying a ticking time bomb.

1 Like

That sounds pretty typical of MFB to me. I had a Dominion Club, loved the sound, but it was a bit buggy (having to recalibrate it pretty often, tuning stability was not good), and MFB weren’t exactly quick to respond to my emails. I exchanged it to get my Grandmother, but I still miss the sound sometimes.

This just in from Sonic State:

9 Likes

I like the sound! They should have just kept it Vermona perfourmer style though! No screen and hacky workflow, just dial the sounds in.

4 Likes

Hi all, I am considering to get one of this to play with my A4 and would like to know from some of you who owns it, if the current firmware is stable enough or it is hopeless. As alternative I am considering the OB6 module but it costs the double and has no prophet 5 rev1-2 filter.

Anyone on here got a synth pro, I love the sound of it and seems great for techno , been comparing it to novation peak, and although the peak sounds excellent there’s just something with the mfb sound that makes it a bit more distinctive. However when looking at buying one there seems to be quite a few ‘b’ stock floating about ?

me too, but I read about too many bugs.

1 Like

That’s the thing with mfb, they nail the sound but there always seems to be a trade off with the ui or build quality

I’d originally planned on getting one of these, in fact I actually did get one and after a long period of confusion with Thomann, I eventually got my order although I’ve now sworn to never buy from Thomann again because of how everything was handled…

I ended up getting a unit where there was only audio coming out from one side when playing the filters in Stereo so I sent it back to Thomann and decided to wait on buying another one until the hardware issues get sorted but it seems like there’s still a whole bunch of issues many units showing up with faults so I decided that for me personally, it’s too risky a purchase as it seemed to be that it’d be pretty likely that something would go wrong with the hardware sooner than later.

I’d be careful about buying the b-stock ones… I’m pretty sure the majority of these will be units from people who returned them due to unacceptable noise on the outputs or you may even end up with the faulty until I had like someone else did over on GS.

why the Ob6 and not a Prophet 6 if you are looking for the prophet filter? Sure the P6 has not the P5 filters, but the Ob6 filter has the SEM, which sound totally different.

Btw … on paper the MFB synth reminds to a lot of features the Prophet 6 has, like morphing between waveforms, 2 filters …. it would be a shame if MFB can not solve the bugs.

But how does the latest firmware works? Is it stable now? Bugs solved?

Anyone knows if bugs were fixed?

Which ones? I don’t find it very buggy.

If u scroll upwards…

"Most people still seem to have issues with inconsistencies in tuning across the 8 voices and even the filter being calibrated differently per voice, They didn’t mention anything about the low rez env’s / lfo’s in the firmware so I’m not sure if they fixed that either.

Tbh, my biggest concern was about the hardware, with my faulty unit, I contacted mfb and they replied once and then didn’t reply to any of my messages after that and if you read the gearslutz thread, the hardwares issues are way too common, I felt like I’d be buying a ticking time bomb."

As an MFB product, its probably the best quality one I’ve owned. Compared to the Tanzbar and Tanzbar II the build quality is excellent.

I’ve had no issues with individual voice tunings. For me the tuning issues were because I bought my unit 2nd hand and the patch mfb recommends to tune the synth had been edited. Creating a patch with no active modulations caused the tuning to work as expected.

The envs/filters are lower res but I’ve found them usable. I’ve found the filters to be consistent. Sadly as MFB has noted that filters don’t track pitch perfectly.

The main issue I’ve run into with the Synth Pro is the “plop” issue due to a few incorrect resistors. It’s most noticeable with velocity on. I’m probably going to hire someone to service it.

I may end up selling it because I bought it mostly to try a “vintage-y” analog poly, but realized I don’t really need the sound. But it’s still a great synth and gives me hope for MFB’s future products.

3 Likes

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these? The seem to be sold out.

(I’m based in Barcelona)