MegaCommand // MCL 4.51

does anyone use a machinedrum/monomachine combo with their MC/MCL? im having a hard time getting the MNM to work. one problem im experiencing intermittently is that the display is freezing. i initially thought it was crashing but when i hit play on the MD, it would still work (light was flashing, both machines were getting clocks). ive also had the MNM starting blasting digital noise when there was no sequence going, i went into the MC mixer page and hit step 1 on the MNM without the record button on. at this point i just have to restart it bc its freaking out.

fwiw, everything has the latest os/firmware and the MC is set to send elektron data on midi out 2.

the second thing is that im not grokking how im supposed to program the MNM. i have the MNM midi in/out going into the MC midi in/out. am i programming the sequence on the MNM itself or on the MC (piano roll?). i tried dropping a few notes into the piano roll on track 1 of the MC (midi channel 1) and the MNM was not behaving at all. or am i using the MNM program a sequence and changing the data on the MC?

i feel like im missing something obvious or not have it set up right

I planned to test this combo after xmas!

Did you check Midi settings on MNM?

what specific MIDI settings? the MD part of the equation is fine, im just not clear on the MNM part. its getting clock/transport. the other thing the MC is doing is trying to change the MNM’s song counter A01>A02 etc

I do think there is still value. Specifically sample loading, chromatic and poly mode.

I don’t believe these improvements are available just in the firmware.

2 Likes

Just starting out with my MCL and wow. What can I say. It has my mega-commendation

Thanks to Justin for providing pre-builts.

5 Likes

Still getting the hang of this wonderful device.

I’ve been searching the manual but I can’t find any way to not send sound data to the machinedrum when loading slots. Is that correct? I’d like to have long complex rhythms that break out of the 4 bar limit. And also take advantage of the speed parameter to do rolls and things without having to give up bars.

It should be the case that if you load a track when the sequencer is running, and the track’s sound data is identical to the sound data of the last load, it won’t be sent.

2 Likes

That would not apply if I made live changes to the sound during performance, though, correct? The sound in the slot would override what’s in the MD.

It would apply, because it compares against an unaltered memory cache of the last loaded sound.

1 Like

Not sure we’re talking about the same thing. I would essentially like to have slots containing no sound data, or, be able to load only sequence data, so the sound on the machinedrum isn’t altered when the next slot begins playing. Unless I’m missing something?

It’s not possible to do that currently, with the exception of the scenario I mentioned above.

2 Likes

I just understood what you were trying to explain.

I actually assumed the sound data will be sent every time a slot starts playing.

Glad I know now that it’s possible for that not to be the case. (I haven’t even tried what I want to do yet.) If I altered a sound and switched slots and nothing happened to it, I would have been happy but also wondering how I accomplished it or if I did something wrong.

Alright, so I tried what you suggested, and it didn’t work. I have a snare track playing while I tweaked its pitch parameter, then loaded another row containing a duplicate of all the data in the current row, and the sound was reset (I lost my changes to PTCH).

Just checking if anyone have 1-2 PCB´s to spare for the “old” (unpopulated) version. Lemme know.

Frustrating day on the y-grid with MnM MK2 . Manual editing via piano roll works fine, live recording more or less ( several crashes of MCL itself). Saving to y-grid works (saved the entire groups), but after rebooting and reloading entries on y-grid are still persistent but nothing to hear. This was not the case for all contents on the MD (corresponding x-grid).

Nevertheless: is there a way to use only the x-grid and dedicate midi-machines in order to control external midi-devices? I would not mind to sacrifice six MD-Midi-tracks in order to control the MnM.

Cheers!

flo

Hmmm … the savings to y-grid seem to appear while I am using the “Elektron” Driver but not while using the “Generic Midi”. Anybody else who tried this with a MnM?

BTW: How could parameter locking be done on the piano roll?

Cheers!

I seem to be unable to use MIDI channels 7-16 on Port 2 / Grid Y. Has anyone else run into this? Notes coming in - even though there is a track that’s had channel 7-16 assigned to it via the Piano Roll Track Menu - aren’t recorded or forwarded.

1 Like

I believe this is a known issue. I have access to a Monomachine now and will be able to investigate.

7 Likes

Thanks a lot for your quick reply! I literally went mad yesterday because I was not able to understand it.

Are parameter locks possible on the piano roll?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers!

flo

+1 for that. It is possible to switch the channels in the preferences (piano roll) but no notes/ messages are sent to port 2. On Channel 1-6 everything is ok. I think it depends on the MCL layout for the external midi tracks. IMO the external midi part feels a bit clumsy. Have to continue practicing :wink: