MDEdit : MachineDrum Editor and Librarian

dont know how i missed this thread. looks wonderful, i signed up immediately.

hope all goes well

Iā€™m sorry to hear this. I hope everything is well/soon to be well

Just to manage expectations / current state:

MDEdit is in a holding pattern. I havenā€™t looked at it for a few weeks now (November?); as mentioned, I have been AFK a bit.

I have also upgraded OSā€™s, IDEā€™s, dev tools etc. and know that there have been some breaking changes; I would be rewriting/tweaking large chunks of code. Currently doing this with OctaEdit.

At present; MDEdit does the core things that it needs to do; Send/Receive Kits, Patterns, Globals etc. Samples need more testing; but that is just SDS stuff.

It needs a bunch of polish around UI/UX; Library, that kind of thing. But the core is all there and working as expected.

So why on hold?

Lets say it will take me another 12 weeks / 500 hours to finish everything up. About 61 people have expressed interest in it. Iā€™ll let you do the math.

All good. Nothing serious. Just limited development / computer time.

4 Likes

any chance we could put donations towards getting a copy of the current version?

I appreciate the offer; but that would just put me in the position of selling alpha/beta builds.

Then cats would want support; enhancements etc.

Comes back to where I am already.

2 Likes

fair enough! it does sound like a whole load of hassle i wouldnt want to deal with myself.

patience it is then!

Hey Rusty, FYI, with C6 becoming redundant from Catalina onwards for OSX users, and Elektron Transfer dropping support for the MD & MM, I can definitely see a market for a small app that will allow Turbo Midi transfer of Sysex & SDS Samples to these legacy machines within the next year or two.

Might be a low hanging fruit worth growing.

2 Likes

wait, Transfer works with the silver boxes?

Well, Iā€™ve already gone way, way past that with what Iā€™ve already built. :slight_smile:

I could push out some basic Midi tools / SysEx librarians etc. I use my own ones personally; but donā€™t actually think there is much of a market there for small apps.

I thought Transfer works with the MD/MM for basic stuff?

1 Like

Yeah I was under the impression that TRANSFER could receive/send basic sysex from the silver machines, though not samples, though I have always used C6. Here Elektron state that support wonā€™t be there from Catalina. This means no way to access turbo midi SDS transfer from a Mac unless on a legacy OS.

I loved C6 for its simplicity over other Midi transfer utilities, for all my midi instrument backup & patch management, so I reckon it might have appeal above and beyond purely Machinedrum users.

2 Likes

ah, i was hoping there was some rudimentary sample support for the silver boxes, never bothered to try it.

for the life of me i cant get mine to properly send/recieve sysex from my windows machine, i wonder if transfer might do anything different

A Midi Monitor would come in handy to identify where the failure point is / what is/isnā€™t being communicated.

MDEdit is essentially ā€œon holdā€ at the moment.

Core functionality works as expected; i.e. all the send/receive etc stuff does exactly what it needs to / functions perfectly.

It is the whole UI/UX layer which needs polishing and testing; and to do all that is where the time / effort is going to be.

I have recently upgraded OSā€™s, IDEā€™s, dev tools etc. and there have been some breaking changes; so would be rewriting/tweaking large chunks of code. Currently doing this with OctaEdit.

So, um, yeahā€¦ :cat:

5 Likes

Hey Rusty

Any news on this?

With the recent release of OB2, I wish even more the MD could be integrated via VST/AU the same way.

Anyway, hope youā€˜re healthy and safe.

But you can always use basic command line tools like amidi even if itā€™s not turbo midi.

Not really. Itā€™s just sitting here waiting on a bit of spit and polish; then to be pushed out for some beta testing.

As above, I changed development environment eat al; some large chunks of code will need a bit of a review.

And obviously life got complicated.

Iā€™ll have to check the current state of affairs with regards to Steinberg and Midi/SysEx support in VST3.

2 Likes

4 Likes

yes boss, what do you require?

Aye captain?!

Half a dozen cats I know and love got sent a pm earlier.