MDEdit : MachineDrum Editor and Librarian

Ableton Live does not support SysEx / is pay walled with Max4Live.

Source:

ah, i was referring to the aforementioned ā€œsomething up my sleeveā€ as the tease. i completely understand why you wouldnā€™t want to be developing a plugin.

This project sounds amazing - just got myself an original MD SPS-1 a few months ago - what an amazing machine!

A better way to organise my work on it would be a dream come true

1 Like

It will be a little while prior to release; just getting Beta team organised and tying up some loose code.

Additionally, in the interest of transparency; my priority list is something like:

1. Medical issues
  2. Masters Degree
  3. Find a job / need some kind of income.
  4. OctaEdit v2
  5. MDEdit

Obviously they are all entwined and cross-pollinate each other.

10 Likes

This sucks, butā€¦

• thereā€˜s already a Max4Live based MD editor available

• if yourā€™s works in Logic (= AU) and cubase (= VST), you already support the original plugin platforms, thatā€˜s way better than nothing.

Iā€˜m pretty sure the Sub37 and SE-02 (and Blofeld via 3rd party editor) are also controlled via SysEx msgs from the plugin, and those work nicely (except that SE implemented the plugin as VST instrument instead of VST effect, which makes it a bit of a PITA to route).:nerd_face:

However, if you have more interesting things to do, thatā€˜s a whole different story! :sunglasses:

I am aware of that Max4Live panel.

MDEdit is quite different, features and functionality, I would say; and Iā€™ve been sitting on it in an Alpha state for a long time now.

Due to, um, well the obvious reasons, is why Iā€™m getting it out for closed beta testing now.

True. And there is potentially a line between a standalone (Full) vs a VST/AU editor (Limited) that I may or may not have already explored; but that may mean some functionality is only available standalone.

Pretty sure? Or know for a fact?

I would have to look into both of them and see what they lay of the land is with them, which I canā€™t be bothered / donā€™t have neither the time nor energy to do etc.

SysEx is only supported via Max4Live; and can only do either send or receive on a channel; not both. [Ref: Ableton SysEx ]

Maybe you can work something out with one of the parties/people that provide the m4l sysex repository? Bought one of them for use with my md control m4l device and itā€™s working very well.
Also pretty sure a lot of the soundtower vsts use sysex as well and Iā€™ve been running them in live without any issue.

Or I could just buy Ableton Live; Max4Live and get programming?

Again, my understanding (and I may be wrong) is that the main restriction here is Ableton and Cycling74; and if so, that is their business arrangement / decision.

Are they VST2.4 or VST3 ?

Which would be totally fine, IMO. E.g. to not have access to the sequencer would be in line with the current OB2 offering.

Itā€™s an assumption based on my knowledge of the devices and how the editors work:

• Sub37/Subsequent37: It has a rather extensive SysEx and Controller implementation, and it would be odd if Moog didnā€™t use that to control the synth. Also the VST can send and receive patch data via SysEx messages.
  • Roland SE-02: The editor is a separate purchase not provided by Roland but by Studio Electronics. The controller implementation seems not to cover all the possibilities the synth has, which can be controlled via the VST. But I would need to verify that. Patch data handling (definitely SysEx) is a bit odd, only works reliable with the standalone app.
  • Blofeld: The editor/librarian by ReKon Audio is done by a third party and can transfer Patch and Bank data - most likely via SysEx messages.

If you want me to investigate something , let me know.

BTW, how is Overbridge 2 integration with the newer Elektron boxes? SysEx or proprietary protocol?

Well, it is an all or nothing affair I am afraidā€¦ Iā€™ve already built full access to the Sequencer :expressionless:

No SysEx means you are limited to Midi CCā€™s / NRPNā€™s etc, which limits what you/I can do.

I could always see what I could get away with in Liveā€¦ Iā€™ve got 9 Lite & Trial here. But, as prior, going off what they (Ableton) themselves have announced / published.

I have nothing to do with OB2 at allā€¦

I would be interested in if they are using SysEx and if they are VST2.4 or VST3 ?

The Blofeld is VST2.4 as per their page. I donā€™t know about the Sub37 / SE-02ā€¦

Steingbergā€™s VST2.4 SDK has now been depreciated / unavailable to be licensed et al.

VST3 is the standard they are pushing.

I probably shouldnā€™t comment on that :thinking:

Hi theres another Blofeld Editor (free) that uses SysEx maybe can help you!

And sorry for the slow reply

yes I want to know if MD Edit will be compatible with 1.71 or newer versions of the unofficial os
and with MKI machines that you just answer. so I have an eye on the MDEdit release!. Best

It is VST 2.4

WRT m4l and live10 all I know that last time I looked there were 2 libraries/repositories available that made sysex possible from and to m4l devices. Iā€™ve been using one of them to be able to use sysex with my own crappy MD m4l device.

Sorry for the late reply:

Moog Sub 37 / Subsequent 37 Editor:
Offered as Standalone and plugin for AAX, AU, VST2.4 and VST3. All plugins are available as ā€œnormalā€ and ā€œvirtual instrumentā€ variants (which I donā€™t understand because the VI is not a real VI). Iā€™m using mainly the VST3 version. Standalone and (VST3) plugin are talking to the synth via SysEx messages, but the synth hardware only sends various Controller messages for changes of control elements (knobs, switches buttons) except when fetching stored presets from the hardware. Controllers can be sent as 7 or 14 Bit values.

1 Like

Roland SE-02 Editor by Studio Electronics:
Offered as Standalone and plugin for AU/VST. The VST plugin is version 2.4 and only works as a ā€œVirtual Instrumentā€ (which is a PITA to set up because you need two Instrument tracks: One for the external instrument and one for the editor). While the standalone editor also sends and receives SysEx to exchange preset data with the hardware, the plugins only send and receive MIDI controller messages.

Compared to the Moog Editor and OB2, the integration is much less reliable.

1 Like

For those in the cheap seats; beta testers got a very early version on Thursday.

For reasons that will be revealed in due course; tweaked some stuff around, so took a little bit more time, and thus more developing and testing to do etc.

9 Likes

still excited for this, still have my MD UW+

This sounds amazing. I just got an MD and Iā€™m on Catalina with no way to send samples to it. Can I get on the beta? I signed up for the mailing list.

It is / will be a slow burning kind of thing.

Iā€™m afraid not; beta was essentially very limited for reasons.

1 Like

I am a software developer who was working on a similar project. If/when you wanted another beta tester or co-developer feel free to message me. Until then, Iā€™m on the mailing list and patiently waiting :slight_smile: