MD SPS-1 + Monomachine next logical step?

Hi There,

I am on the lookout for a MDUW but as we all know prices are a bit silly right now.
Would it make sense to add an Octatrack MkI instead to cover the sampler part or possibly one of the new units digitone digtakt etc - Would you say the MNM cover the synthesis end of things?
I would very much appreciate your input on this as don’t have any experience with these other units.

Thank you

1 Like

Too late, Just grabbed an Octatrack mkI for a decent price.
That should take care of a mixer’s duties.

5 Likes

So speaking as someone who comes from the digi’s and have moved backward through the range all the way to MD and MNM. Those old ones are great but not worth the money compared together new ones to me. There are features none of the current devices have, but the same can be said the other way as as well. And the usability of the new ones is so much better than the old ones to me.

I am a very recent convert to the MD. It’s my fave Elektron box I’ve used, and I’ve used them all. The amount of machines within the MD is ridiculous. Even the Mk1 is a monster. Grab one of those or a basic MK2 rather than a super expensive +UW and use the OT for the sampling side.

2 Likes

burglar alarm.

3 Likes

Yes I have the MD MK II non UW for a year now and just acquired a MnM MII. but needs some repairs first before I start using it.
The MD was pretty reasonable so thought rather than trying to get a UW at a ridiculous price the Octa could provide the UW function that is missing from the MD. sps-1

I mainly have vintage gear so have no idea regarding the new products and probably for the best really. What struck me with the MD was that it felt a bit like the MPC 2000 which I liked.
The Octatrack came in at a good price and was looking into mixers until I saw that you can use the octatrack as a mixer too so I thought what the hell, give it a go.

2 Likes

The sampling character of the md UW is a bit unique. If you just want sampling the OT was probably the best choice, if you want 12 bit sampling you will need something else to fill in the blank.

2 Likes

OT, MnM and MD play very nicely together. I almost never use the UW on my MD & MNM, but plan to someday.

3 Likes

I’d be interested to know how close you can get with the lofi machine on octatrack. I kinda wish the BRR and SRR numbers meant bits and frequencies respectively.

I think it’s the (modern) age old question of “can artificial sweetener replace sugar?”

It may have character, but bit reduction is probably never going to equal component driven lofi otherwise rossum wouldn’t be making a killing off those sp1200 reissues.

I’d love to hear an A/B comparison though because I personally find the MD UW sound unique even amongst other 12 bit samplers.

1 Like

Lol, something tells me they aren’t even making a killing. But I also think there is a lot of magical thinking when it comes to people’s purchases, and the companies play into that heavily.

1 Like

Thank you, Similar to Warpigs comment about newer products I have no frame of reference for the 12bit UW so don’t know what I am missing, although I was contemplating grabbing an S950 but again those prices are a bit daft.
The MD + Octa came in at under £1200 so I’m happy for what you get for that especially when you compare it to the S950 spec

Lovely set up and view :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Biggest issue with s950 aside from price is the incredibly complicated or more, laborious, interface. It would be like a headache every time you used it until you developed a clunky workflow.

I got a budget alternative in the sp202 and I’m pretty content with the sound, I don’t know if it lives up to the moniker of “The poor mans sp1200” but for my purposes it turns the sterility of the digitakt into something very palatable and human sounding - also the effects are weird and cool.

I think you made a smart buy, I’m just saying that if you enjoy the sound of the md uw it’s different than if you just want to add some sampling to your workflow.

You may well be correct but I think when you look at the cost of producing something using old technology when none of the parts they are using are particularly rare parts, and the only workflow updates came in the form of memory and expandable memory, they are probably doing pretty well with the price per unit considering that they’re sold out on a waiting list basis.

Moreover, since you’re buying a horse from the guy who invented horses, you know that you’re getting something that is what you want and will last as opposed to something that probably needs expensive maintenance and will have a vintage tax of x amount more on top.

I’m not saying it isn’t a great thing for people who are hard up for an sp1200 (I might be if I were deluded into thinking it would change my life) but I’m positive the cost of manufacturing technology from 1987, even if it’s by hand, is significantly lower than reinventing the octatrack if I had to use an analogy.

2 Likes

You might be surprised at how difficult it is to faithfully adapt 1987 technology for modern manufacturing, especially digital. And if it’s not adapted those old components aren’t exactly cheap and available like they might have been in the 90s.

2 Likes

What’s your production goal? What do you need?

Assumes a modern BOM and tooling would still exist!

1 Like

I’ll have to find where I read it but he was quoted as saying something about how the majority of the original components or a suitable equivalent were still available or he wouldn’t have been able to do it with the precision it’s done or at its current (already expensive) price point, that’s part of the selling point. None of these guys are doing this as charity though, remember it’s a business.

I really hope so. The idea of a UW is a lovely thought having the best of both worlds in one box but the price is pretty intense especially after just buying a MnM.
I get the feeling that the Octatrack can be many things which souns exciting and I have been looking into getting a new sampler for ages.

1 Like

I wouldn’t get too hung up on the details, when you are unhappy, shake things up. Otherwise sounds good to me.

but as I said only half joking, burglar alarm would be a good investment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As far as next logical step is concerned, I present the following argument:

You don’t have to go for these two specifically, but outboard FX with lots of controls, or rack units and something like a Faderfox are fun additions to the big Elektrons.

A less expensive but equally fun set is the TimeFactor and Space.

1 Like