MD SPS-1 + Monomachine next logical step?

I am not entirely sure but possibly something with lots of modulation routings/combinations and sound mangling possibilities.
I have been surrounded by analogue thingamebobs for too long and using the MD was super inspiring to me - The MnM equally sounds very alien to the rest of my set up which is a big big plus.
Old stuff is great and I am very lucky to own some classic pieces and they do sound incredible but it is also can be quite limiting from a sound palette perspective.

1 Like

Definitely, the studio was becoming unknowingly a bit of a gear Mausoleum that had been growing and not evolving.
Personally I am really relieved I have made the jump into trying a new workflow, which does seem to be one of the main allures of Elektron.

[quote=“shigginpit, post:19, topic:196325”]
but as I said only half joking, burglar alarm would be a good investment :slight_smile:
[/quote] :laughing:

Ohh sweet set up.
That is a good idea. I have a couple of old Fader fox units and a bunch of outboard
Eventually I Hope to sync up my midi Moogerfoogers to the new rig once I find out how to make them play nicely together

1 Like

benefits of elektron:

• inspiring and competent workflow
  • generations of matching boxes
  • lifetime membership to online cult

detractors:

• one is simply not enough
  • generations of matching boxes
  • lifetime membership to online cult
3 Likes

I’d be specific on wanting the MnM (and only the MnM) for how much they’re still going for.

I would exhaust all other options in this regard before coming back, it’s unique but the sweet spot is smaller, and the people best known for using it made it their main “axe”, thus know it inside and out.

Basically, the sound is awesome, but it’s a commitment since it can’t do as wide a palette as cheaper, great sounding synths. The workflow is a bit unfriendly, and you really have to develop your own set of tricks and combinations.

Not selling mine right now, but I wouldn’t say it’s anywhere near top synth on/off the market for “lots of modulation routings/combinations and sound mangling possibilities”.

Analog Four is the CV Elektron, so you might look out for a cheap Mk1 in decent shape for modulating the gear that doesn’t speak MIDI.

Basically:

3 Likes

That is a very good point. Compared to the rest of my studio these boxes are pretty modern and different.
With the small amount of exposure to Elektron I found that the interface is the exciting part and the sound is a by product of the intricate process of carving something interesting out.
A similar comparison could be made with the 303.
It is mostly recognised for it’s sound but really the patience and uncertainty is what makes it addictive + no computer screen.

I didn’t know that about the A4. I think I’m good for CV with my Cirklon :+1:

1 Like