MC 101 Best Paired with

Hello everyone,

I am looking for your opinions and thoughts on what would be the best to pair with the Roland MC-101. I have seen the M:C paired well with it. All opinions and videos are welcomed. I currently own one and looking for some ideas.

Cheers,

Karatekid

With anything that fits your style. For ambient e.g. i would combine it with a pedal from Chase Bliss, like the Blooper or MOODS.

2 Likes

seems like good food for an Octatrack.

2 Likes

That sounds interesting… Thank you for that made me come across a nice video

Although im unsure how he uses the 101 with OT… I’ll be studying this video :stuck_out_tongue:

What are you trying to achieve? Are you using any DAW or fully out of the box?
Octatrack or TR6/8S could be good candidates.

1 Like

that depends totally on what you’re missing from the mc101.

3 Likes

I guess more sampling, although there is a way to sample via step sequencing and get away with some chessy stuff it doesn’t quite hit the spot!

More sampling and manipulation, effects are nice and scatter is so cool and fun however I want to be able to sample more. The 4 track limit on the 101 actually help me to be more creative with my sounds which I love! I am using it as my DAW I dont use a computer at all. Only to transfer some vocal one shots into it via SD!

1 Like

(tip: you can control more 101 parameters with Circuit Tracks’ MIDI templates)

3 Likes

That looks super clean, care to share any creations? Would love to hear!

That looks super clean, care to share any creations? Would love to hear!

i’m too lazy to record anything :grin:

If you are looking to manipulate/mangle samples I’d look at something like the Digitakt, Octatrack, new MPCs, Toraiz SP-16 maybe. Basically any sampler that has good options for manipulating the sample and has “resampling.”

2 Likes

you can get more than 4 tracks outta the 101 by using drum tracks as/ track per pad
the Model Samples would make a nice companion, and your setup would be very powerful, you could add an Roland mx-1 to the duo to make a very versatile trifecta

1 Like

I just received my M8 Tracker, but it’ll be some time before I pair it with the 101, as it’s a whole nother beast to learn on its own.

That sounds very interesting, I mean I do own a cycles already and have paired it up but it just basically extends my 4 tracks into 10. But not quite happy lol :expressionless:

why were you unhappy with the model cycles /mc-101 combo?

1 Like

SP-404 Mk II might be another candidate. It has no step sequencer - minimal sequencing capability really, which practically begs for it to be paired with a more capable sequencer.

3 Likes

I tell you the unadorned truth. You need an octatrack :grimacing:

2 Likes

Maybe because I like using the cycles for live performance instead of creating actual tracks, I may try this tonight though lol