May i introduce: "Secret Friend" and "Temporarium Secretarium", a Digitone Drum Machine Trilogy in the making

turns out that sequencing the octatrack with “secret friend” and using one of the devices to randomize the scenes is :heart:

5 Likes

You’re randomizing scene parameters!?! Or which scene is active?

Also, that is a killer vibe! Dig.

Haven’t purchased or checked out the m4l devices yet, but this sounds ace! Let me know if you need any help/advice with turning this into a full-blow application and/or vst.

@PurpleWizard @mr_bernard thank you very much :black_heart:
in this case every time the hihat sequence triggeres a note its also randomizing which scene is selected

2 Likes

Checking out your m4l devices as we speak, dope, one quick question though:

The only way to get the patterns into the digitone is through live recording right? or am i missing something? And if this is correct, any tips on how to best to that? patterns aren’t being recorded as precise as I would like :thinking:

1 Like

@PurpleWizard exactly, thats the only way to do it, best if you sync the DN to ableton, (you might also need to set negative delay on the midi clock side for tight sync in lives midi prefs, if you wanna calculate the latency best if you have any empty pattern, turn on the DN metronome and record a couple of bars to ableton, then check the offset but not from the first 4 beats cause it usually “aligns” in the beginning) and then it will record precisely. if you use “Fills” you might need to chain patterns as you need x2 rate for this to be recorded properly

2 Likes

Thx, I expected as much, at the same time: I had only today seen your topic, and there was always the small possibility that the digitone sysex implementation had been decoded/released by you or somebody else, since the last time I checked, and that I had missed it through similar selective awareness :joy: (for instance you can send pattern data over sysex to the rytm)

EDIT: 2x was what i was looking for. :pray:t2:

1 Like

Just bought your entire discography on bandcamp. Great work!

4 Likes

@tr909 thank you for the kind words and the support

I experimented with this (FINALLY) for a few hours yesterday! It’s really fun. Great work. I like how busy the fills can be, and how light the generated sequences can be without the fill enabled.

I need to just record a bunch of midi clips as I mess around, as many of the patterns are really inspiring, but I didn’t capture a damn thing… what’s the fun in that!?

1 Like

hey @mr_bernard happy to hear that!

1 Like

i may be silly, but I can’t get this to work.

DN connected to ableton. midi out per channel set to send to DN. 4 midi tracks set 1,2,3,4.

Temp_Sec loaded to 1,2,3,4 as well.

Secret Friend is on its own track also set to send to channel 1. (i tried channel 10 for autochannel)

…im getting nothing, except one time now it has said “Lock Mem Full” but it only had two trigs with locks in total.

I’m clearly doing something incorrectly.

@PlumWrinkles, you should set “secret friend” also on the 4 midi tracks for channel 1-4 (if this is how your DN is set) and - this might be super obvious but i had this question before - press play in ableton (some have thought that secret friend sends patterns over sysex but this is not the case, its a “realtime” sequencer)

let me know if u have any issues

2 Likes

So Im having some issues in getting Temporarium Secretarium to work with my Digitone. I have TS on a midi track in Ableton, MIDI To sent to Digitone, channel 3. I would expect that when I “generate sound” on TS that I would then get a new generated sound on Track 3. I have the Digitone midi setup as Track 1 Channel 1, Track 2 channel 2, etc. When I do this, nothing happens, still left with base sine init patch. Am I missing something?

@Ellingferd hi, make sure that on live s midi prefs “track” and “remote” are enabled for the digitone midi output, and that on the digitone the midi setup is correct (receive from usb if applicable, receive cc+nprn etc)

happy international women’s day to everyone

5 Likes

does using overbridge for audio/midi affect this? In my current project that is what Im doing. Ive loaded a completely blank set, with one midi channel for Digitone overbridge and another for TS, Ive got midi output in Ableton set to track and remote. Im sure I missing something simple, but this still isn’t working for me.

ok, so I loaded up another clean Ableton set and tried again. Working just great! I have no idea why it wasn’t working…

3 Likes

I’m a new Mac user and i’m getting familiar with the OS after years on Linux.
Newbie question: I bought the Secret Friend few days ago and I got a version of MAX4Live but do I absolutely need Ableton to use it? Could it work just within MAX and Logic or any other DAW?

I don’t really wanna get Live just to use Secret Friend to be honest.

PS: what i’m trying to summarize is that a standalone version of the plugins would be awesome @ylva !

Absolutely legendary.

Really glad I saw this thread today.

A pure MIDI Max4Live device can be used directly as a standalone Max patch if it doesn’t use any Ableton Live specific API. Just double-click on the midiout object to select the correct output.
(Haha just found out an easter egg in Temporarium Secretarium)

1 Like